Top Shelf Aquatics

Hydor Flo, Maxi Jet 900 & cassette skimmer

artarmon42

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artarmon42
Originally posted by JAMAICANreef

alot of mods you got on that cube..when do u plan on stocking it?

You mean my or Web Guy's tank? We're both already stocked!

Although that term is used loosely when talking about Web Guy's :ninja::D

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

artarmon42 - I don't like the big thing in your tank. Takes away from the simplicity look of it.

I'm not a big fan of it either...

But the tank doesn't have enough flow and has too many dead spots for SPSs to thrive. I have the light, but I don't have the flow without the Seio.

When my custom arrives and cycled, I'll be moving the corals out.

Once the SPS go (which will probably be by the end of summer), the RBTA and Onyx will go back to the stock Hydor Flo.

Update: I just picked up the Maxi-Jet 900 and installed it with the Hydor Flo. Much better on the flow! Plenty since I am not running SPS.

I had a coral CRASH and ick kicked in because of it. I have been pulling water out and watching it. Looks much better today! I also will start using Kent Garlic Extreme to help that in the future. I did not see those Shrooms sliding and next time I will know what to look for. They just did not make it from the Ocean to the store to my tank.:)

Bad thing about a small tank. That would not have effected my larger tanks in the past as it did the 12G.

I also just finished installing my FishBowl Moon Light Set Up with lunar timer. It was easy and is a much better set up than the stock 2 led's. Also these will stay on 24hrs and use the lunar cycle which the lights will get brighter and lighter throughout the month. Neat Set Up!!

artarmon42

The MH was originally put in for SPS. Which BTW, I do have lots of nice frags (click on the link below to see my tank and the frags).

But I ordered a custom tank so when it is ready, the Nano Cube will only house the Onyx and a RBTA. The stock Nano Cube lighting is insufficient and the MH is a little over kill... but more lighting will be better for the RBTA anyway :D

Thanks, artarmon42, for the excellent pictures. You should write a manual. Quick question before I attempt to upgrade my pump to the Maxi line: Is there any reason you didn't go with the Maxi-1200 (295gph) vs the Maxi-900 (235gph)?

Also, what are you using for a fuge light?

Thanks & keep up the good stuff -- you're helping us all out.

I thinnk that would be too much flow near the top of the surface. I have the same set up and I am very happy with it.:)

+ the Hydor Flow is rated up to 300 GPH! So you could try it.

mj1200's also run pretty hot...even compared to the 900.

The mj1200 is 20w and the mj900 is only 8.5w. While the 1200 has a higher flow rate you can get to mj900 with a combined less wattage and more flow. I am getting two mj900 and Hydor Flo. I'll take some pics when I get them in place.

Mine installed! I did not take step by step pictures because artarmon42 beat me to it.:)

Look at the wave reflections in the tank just in the photo.

89.jpg

artarmon42
Originally posted by mtnbiker

Is there any reason you didn't go with the Maxi-1200 (295gph) vs the Maxi-900 (235gph)?  

Yup, for the reasons explained above, I didn't pick the MJ1200 because of the power consumption. In hindsight, I might have tried the Hydor L35 (although the flow is slightly higher than the Flo's rating), but I had already ordered the MJ900 when I read about the Hydor pump.

Originally posted by mtnbiker

Also, what are you using for a fuge light?  

It's a 7W "mini" PC lamp.

I ripped it out of a Deco Art Vaselight, that I picked up at my LFS.

candy%20yellow%20aquavase.jpg

It's pretty easy to dismantle it. The great thing about it is that the "ballast" is at the power plug, so all the heat is outside of the tank.

He likes the camera. You point it he is there!!...lol He is so healty right now. No pacing the glass, No up and down, He is best buds with the Lubbocks Wrasse. They are always together swimming in and out of the caves. I also started feeding after soaking in Kents Garlic Xtreme as well.

But about the Hydor Flo. I think it is to close to the top of the surface and is splashing water against the splash guard with the 900 installed. I am either going to do one or the other. Find a elbow peice and another to drop the Hydor down about 3/4" - 1". Or I am going to cut another hole and mount a bulk head and run it there. I will cover up the other and seal it with something I can remove incase I want to install the stock outlet some time later.

It is creating air bubbles when it hits the splash guard and spirals back into the tank from the Hydor. Not enough to cause issues but since I have to get it perfect I will work on it.

Oh wait!! Wasn't I suppose to have some HUGE algae break out and my tank would CRASH and burn some time ago from my BIO-LOAD?..lol You remember that long post?

Your has less flow because you run more pre-filters. I only run the 1 stock sponge and purigen in chamber 1 plus the LR and Cheato in 2.

Just a guess...

Maybe I should try something like that first huh.

Also, I noticed with my larger surface skimmer my water levels run much higher than yours I think. Where are you in chamber 3? How far down with a full tank of water?

artarmon42

I just checked and there are some minor splashging. I think that the display area surface area has significant impact to splashing... a little bit higher and no splashing.

My chamber 3 water is below the partition, which is lower than my chamber 2 water, which is lower than my chamber 1 water, which is obviously lower than my display area.

Oh this topic, tomorrow I'm going to put a small bunch of chaeto IN the cassette tape and see how that grows. I'm mostly curious as to whether 8 hours of MH is going to provide more power than my 7W PC. It's an experiment on the growing power, more so than anything else :P

Take before and after photos during the testing period. And get you a little bigger surface skimmer.:) I don't like that tape cassette!

shao-lin nano

I've been eyeing the Hydor Flo for some time now and you guys (artarmon and web) have convinced me that I need one too! I've got to keep up with the Jones.

I've read that other people dislike how the hydor Flo reduces flow significantly, have either of you noticed that?

How close to the surface or top of chamber wall is the stock outlet? I have the 24g NC and was wondering if splashing would be an issue. I would like to see what you have in mind in action as far as lowering the hydor flo in your tank web.

artarmon42
Originally posted by shao-lin nano

I've been eyeing the Hydor Flo for some time now and you guys (artarmon and web) have convinced me that I need one too! I've got to keep up with the Jones.

I now consider wave-effects a "must have" in any tank. Visually for me and it seems so much more natural for the fish and corals.

I think that the Hydor Flo is a very effective (in terms of cost and performance) method of achieving wave effects. In hindsight, I can't imagine I'd ever do another Nano Cube without a Hydor Flo.

I've read that other people dislike how the hydor Flo reduces flow significantly, have either of you noticed that?

I posted this somewhere, but I estimate that the Flo takes off 50-75gph "power" from the pump. Get a 200+gph pump to power it, but be aware that the Flo is rated for 310gph only (so it says on the instructions that came with it).

How close to the surface or top of chamber wall is the stock outlet?  I have the 24g NC and was wondering if splashing would be an issue.  I would like to see what you have in mind in action as far as lowering the hydor flo in your tank web.

The middle of the stock return nozzle is just a little bit more than an inch from my water surface.

artarmon42

I think it is to close to the top of the surface and is splashing water against the splash guard with the 900 installed.

Originally posted by artarmon42

Funny... mine has no such problems ???

Originally posted by artarmon42

I just checked and there are some minor splashging.

I think I figured out the mystery.

I don't see any splashing because most of the time I look during the photo period. The MH is evaporating any water that gets on the splashguard. This is a photo I just took...

hydor-splash-mh.JPG

It's a little hard to tell because of the MH's brightness, but the splashguard is clean. No salt residue, no water marks. I'll take another picture tonight (when the MH is off) or perhaps Web can post a picture of his splashing ;)

artarmon42

Take before and after photos during the testing period.

This morning...

chaeto-skimmer.JPG

I think that chaeto is going to get even more detritus trapped in it, but we'll see how much it grows in 1 day :P

Thanks for the photos. I am going to the LFS today and will see if they have any plumbing pieces to move it down a little. It's not the end of the world. I would take some splashing over not running the Hydor Flo and the larger 900 pump and day.:)

I will post pictures of mine hitting the splash guard with the lid close. And I will post shots of my salty splash guard as well.:) Again, it's not major! Nothing I can't live with and work out.

I have the 24g NC and was wondering if splashing would be an issue.
Not sure how the quote works..

I am currently using a Hydor Flo with a mj900 on a 24g. All I can say is it's awesome. I do not get any splashing on the light cover and the current is still good. However I also have another mj900 plumbed through a 1/2" bulkhead in chamber 2. Once I find a good way to attach a Hydor to it thats where I will move it. It's definatly the best $12 I've spent on my Nano-Cube.

Archived