Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hydor Flo, Maxi Jet 900 & cassette skimmer

artarmon42

I would not put anything larger in there with it. :)

I have been really happy with my set up since making all of these changes to my tank.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artarmon42
Originally posted by Chronicles

These things seem to be the cool thing to have right now, I might just have to order one. You still think Maxi900 is the best pump?

The Maxi900 is a commonly available pump that is within my recommended range of 230-310gph.

How's that for politically correct? :happy:

If I was to do it again, I'd try it with the Hydor Seltz L30 or L35. But as I haven't tried them personally, the only pump I can speak to is the Maxi900.

i have replaced the stock pum with the Hydor L35 and love it. fits perfect and great water movement. I shall install my rotating wave deflector tomorrow and see how it performs. its a little more pricey than the others. its quiet and does a great job though.

Chronicles

About to order both, but I can't help feeling retarded for having bought a min606 and a micro450, now i'll have 3 pumps with nothing to do, along with 2 other sweeping powerheads X)

I got my Hydor Flo and did a little modding tonight. I think I got this flow director as close as possible to the back without having to drill a new hole in an existing tank.

Here's what I did to the pieces - it took me about 30 minutes to Roto Zip the back nozzle off of the Hydor (left), then I cut a piece of the extension tube from the stock Nano Cube flow deflector (right), and took off the big flange from the Hydor (top)

14612Hydor_Flo_003_-_resized.jpg

Then with a little super glue gel - I glued the piece of the stock Nano Cube extension onto the back of the Hydor, and put the rotating cover back on.

14612Hydor_Flo_004_-_resized.jpg

Here's a picture of it running in the tank. It is literally no further off of the back wall than that little outlet nub molded into the back wall.

14612Hydor_Flo_007_-_resized.jpg

I wish the picture of the Hydor running showed how close it is to the back. Anyone with tips on how to shot good photos of the Cube's - please let me know.

BTW - I swapped out the stock pump for a MaxiJet 1200 last weekend. No problems with the Hydor! It doesn't splash at all.

Sparkling_Surfer

I ordered the MJ900 & Hydor Flo yesterday...thanks to you guys making it seem so darn cool :P

I'll let you know how it goes!!! I'm very excited :)

Way to take it even further! Looks good.

I am installing a cut up spray bar or a nano sized one you can say running inline with my hydor flo.:)

Yup, the Flo fits.

The removal of the ring is primarily for aesthetics (it makes the unit look bigger if you leave it on). The ring may also sometimes stop the Flo from rotation if a snail gets jammed between it and the glass.

burtbollinger

I installed mine yesterday afternoon, I picked mine up at Clayton Pet Emporium for @ 20 bucks. It went on fine with one of the supplied adapters (24G Nano Cube) and it seems like a really cool little device. I don't have a dremel, but really, I don't see a need to chop off that ring.

artarmon42,

Could you please post a picture of the stock pump in the first chamber and how you attached the outlet and directed it into the tank?

I am seriously considering a 12gallon now(in case it cracks, less water on the floor...LOL, and it's a more appropriate size)...I wanna add a nanobob skimmer and a hydor flo with MJ 900.

How would you describe the amount of flow you get in your tank now? Mine's gonna be mainly shrooms, zoos, rics and i'm gonna have low-level rockscapes so as to promote as much flow(not crazy flow though) around the tank as possible. I'm also gonna be putting an extremely thin layer of sand and getting a sand-sifting goby to keep that in check.

Also, did you mention anything about a fuge light? I might have missed that.

Originally posted by szesteve

Could you please post a picture of the stock pump in the first chamber and how you attached the outlet and directed it into the tank?

Ummm... not sure what you mean.

If you mean how to replace the stock pump with the MJ900, it's all in the photos on the first page of this thread.

It's pretty easy: twist off the tubing at the back of the false wall, pull up the old pump, detatch the other end of the tube from the old pump, connect it to the new pump, put the new pump back into the chamber, connect the tubing back to the false wall. Then attach the Flo on the other side of the return hole...

How would you describe the amount of flow you get in your tank now? Mine's gonna be mainly shrooms, zoos, rics and i'm gonna have low-level rockscapes so as to promote as much flow(not crazy flow though) around the tank as possible. I'm also gonna be putting an extremely thin layer of sand and getting a sand-sifting goby to keep that in check.

The flow will be fine for your setup.

Because of the deflector's design, the flow will be spread over a wide arc. It'll create a nice "waving" motion without being too strong.

Also, did you mention anything about a fuge light? I might have missed that.

It's briefly mentioned in my 70W MH thread (link in signature).

Nope didn't reuse it.

I just have the Maxi-900 corrected to the Hydor.

I used to have pump(s) in Chamber 1, returning water to the display area. But the cassette skimmer mod is much more effective.

Originally posted by artarmon42

Nope didn't reuse it.

I just have the Maxi-900 corrected to the Hydor.

I used to have pump(s) in Chamber 1, returning water to the display area. But the cassette skimmer mod is much more effective.

icic. So u only have 1 pump and water only comes out from the hydor flo only eh?

Very cool post guys. I just installed the Hydor Flo in my 12G OG nano and it took 3 seconds.. Very nice find. I didnt stock my tank yet, but when I filled it with tap water to check out the Hydor Flo it didnt seem very powerful. Im running a MJ900 but it still seems very week. Did anyone ever dremmel off the plastic return that comes off the Nano Cubes back wall? Or just drill out the small hole to make it bigger? I am not looking to keep any SPS or clams.. Its going to be an all black and red tank so I do want an RBTA as a centerpiece.. Would this be enough flow for a BTA?

Thanks,

Brian

icic. So u only have 1 pump and water only comes out from the hydor flo only eh?

Well, the Maxi-900 + Flo is sufficient for most corals.

I personally put in a Seio M620 to add more flow for my SPS.

Originally posted by coondogg97

Im running a MJ900 but it still seems very week.  

It shouldn't be "weak".

The Maxi-900 is rated at 230gph, so it's not shooting out a blast of water, but should definately be more than the stock pump.

How old it the pump? Is it clean and in proper working condition?

Originally posted by coondogg97

Would this be enough flow for a BTA?

A properly working Maxi-900 + Flo should be sufficient for a BTA.

I think it'll create an awesome wave effect.

Its new. I just ordered the Hydor Flo and Maxi Jet last week. I have the NC OG, do all the cubes have that small hole in the middle of the plastic return?

Thanks,

Brian

Ah yes, that's probably the reason your flow is abit weak.

Your return outlet isn't open enough. Get a dremel and make a bigger hole (but not so big that the Hydor Flo attachment still works).

Archived