SaltCritters.com

Evaporation Makeup Float Switches.....

Physh1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, using a Rio800 and smaller or a MaxiJet1000 and smaller are your safest bets.

The switches are rated for approx 10,000 cycles at 30watts/.28amps. That would be close to 10years worth of working.

Larger pumps with larger wattage and amperage values will make that cycle number smaller....by how much?.....it's unpredictable really.

All powerheads/pumps are inductive type motors. Starting is easy and non problematic BUT shutting off is something that inductive motors don't like doing so you see a amperage spike at shutoff. This amperage spike can be up to 3x the running current. Depeding on the amplitude of the electical phase (aka pulse) larger pumps can cause it to stick.....therefore not shutting off unless you flick the bobber with your finger to manually break the contact. Not really good since it could drain your resevoir and fill your tank!!!

You can use larger pumps if needed but I don't recommend anything larger than the formentioned pumps.....for my liability and your safety.

In my experiences I've had a Rio800 pump up as high as 6.5feet with good flow (enough for a makeup system) and a MaxiJet up to ~4feet. The Maxijets are much quieter and less chatty......but they lack pressure.

Take that for what it's worth.....I think nobody really has a resevoir more than 6 foot below a tank so the mentioned pumps will do 99% of all applications.

Cameron

I've got 3 powerheads laying around, Mini-Jet 404, Mini-Jet 606, and a Maxi-Jet 600. Would any of those work with your top-off switches or do you think they're a bit underpowered?

Originally posted by J-Bass

I've got 3 powerheads laying around, Mini-Jet 404, Mini-Jet 606, and a Maxi-Jet 600. Would any of those work with your top-off switches or do you think they're a bit underpowered?

It would depend on how high you needed to pump. That will help determine pump needed.
Originally posted by Xavier

Also remember that the smaller diameter of the tubing, the higher the pressure (allowing the pump to push higher).

This will help making smaller pumps a little more usefull.

Cameron

Originally posted by SLOreefer

i just ordered mine...i hope i get it befor evacation...

You should.....it went out at 11 my time today.....

Cameron

Cameron, I liked my first one so much( i got it back in june) that I would like to buy a 2nd one from the 46g i am setting, up. I would like u to reserve me one to buy over the x-mas holiday.

thanks

Daniel

im just going home for christmas break for work and stuff. im gonan go up to the snow for like 5 days though. im gonna have about a 10 gallon resvoir just to be safe. im nt into the idea of causing a fire in my house from burning the pump out or anyrthing like that.

I burned out my Rio 600 last night :)... I was trying to cycle some water between two 5g buckets... I had one raised up, the float switch in it, syphoning down to the bucket lower... when the float switch dropped, the pump pushed water from the lower bucket to the upper bucket....

didn't work out as planned :)

Originally posted by sunflashx

Cameron rocks.  Paypaled on Wednesday night and had the switch on Saturday.

SweetB).....glad you got it quick.

Cameron

I sent you a PM just a little bit ago. I hope you still have some. As soon as you get back to me, I will be placing an order!;)

BTW- I will need the hang on the back style.

I placed my order. I can't wait until that mail man comes, I will be so proud of my new item. I think I might, yep, here it comes :*(

I will have pics and keep everyone posted!

Thanx Cameron

Archived