Top Shelf Aquatics

ProFlatlander15's 29Gal Project

ProFlatlander15

SCUBA BUZZ

maybe a cheep air pump and an adjustable valve for the air problem only thing i can think of that way you can also adjust the air intake if you can make it fit

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

couple questions.. isn't 84 even ridiculously high to be running, temp wise? I thought reefs were supposed to be at 74-78 F.

also, do your MH pendants have the UV glass over them? i know you said you had a splash guard, but i thought the DE bulbs needed UV blockage between them and the tank.

Looks great so far!! :)

• 2 months later...
ProFlatlander15

Yea my tank is running ridiculously high, like 88 during the day and 84 at night. This is due to my lighting and inability to save money for a chiller. This also probably contributes to the hair algae I am battling. However, everything else seems to be fine. the fish and corals get upset when the temp goes close to 90 but I do not notice any stress when running around 87.

Sorry Aquakevem, I'm living at school so I don't have any new pics yet. Maybe this weekend.

• 3 months later...
Mrseptember15

I just went through pages 1-11 All with great photos and progress! Good job. Mind taking update shots?? Lol, I know it has changed a lot since August...

ProFlatlander15

Thanks Mr September!

It has progressed alot since August. However, I am up at school, and come home only on some weekends. I will try as soon as I can to get updates. I have noticed alot of growth in my zoos, brain, and candy cane. My montipora digitata has widened, but not really created any new branches (anyone know why?).

There is no more hair algae, but since I switched to Tropic Marin salt, I noticed a huge growth of macro and bubble algae in the display, which I am now battling.

Also, a first for me, an outbreak of aiptasia has occurred, and me not being home most of the time has let them multiply more than I would like.

Mrseptember15
Thanks Mr September!

It has progressed alot since August. However, I am up at school, and come home only on some weekends. I will try as soon as I can to get updates. I have noticed alot of growth in my zoos, brain, and candy cane. My montipora digitata has widened, but not really created any new branches (anyone know why?).

There is no more hair algae, but since I switched to Tropic Marin salt, I noticed a huge growth of macro and bubble algae in the display, which I am now battling.

Also, a first for me, an outbreak of aiptasia has occurred, and me not being home most of the time has let them multiply more than I would like.

Ouch :o . Who takes care of the feeding for you when your away?

Sounds good. You can try using some of Joe's Juice or whatever its called to take care of the aiptasia. I hear its expensive but it's worth a try :D . I use instant ocean and pure R/O water. I'm so suprised I haven't got any algae at all! Except for the brown algae on the glass which gets scraped off every weekend. I'm looking forward for the pictures this weekend :lol:

ProFlatlander15

My fish get fed one a week ( I know its bad...) I make my own Joe's juice by mixing RO with alot of kalkwasser mix. I get all the one's I can see but by the next week the small ones have grown and so on. They haven't gotten out of control, but they are there.

I used distilled water from walmart, and the algae is going away, slowly. My tank looks better in the last few monthst that I've been at school than the summer when I was home.

Mrseptember15

LOL Yeah I remember the picture with all those Distilled Water bottles. Theres a water store beside my house that sells the R/O water for 30 cents a gallon. Can't you tell your parents to feed the fish? I remember I tried that once... It didn't very well. :mellow:

• 1 month later...
ProFlatlander15

Ha- sorry Mr.september, I have been home on break, but my girlfiend hasmy digital. I want to get pics up maybe this evening....

Mrseptember15
Ha- sorry Mr.september, I have been home on break, but my girlfiend hasmy digital. I want to get pics up maybe this evening....

kk sounds good

ProFlatlander15

Ok, it's been a while, and I've been real busy with school and work, so I snapped these pictures real quick. I am in a serious war with almost every kind of alage known to man right now, and being at school makes it even more difficult. Grape caulerpa is slowly sneaking over everything and aiptasia is running rampant. I am doing the best I can right not to keep everything healthy.

Some green zoos

greenzoosau0.jpg

A blue shroom. well, actually 3, but they are really small, but I am excited that it split or whatever they do! Next to it you can see a small frag of nepthea that I competely forgot I had, but recently found and am nursing back to health.

blueshroomneptheath8.jpg

Some pink shrooms, they have grown the most, quadrupling their colony in the past few months. To the left is what stayed on the rock from my orange zoo frag, which I moved to the other side of the tank. The halimeda is killing my calcium levels, I will discuss later.

pinkzoosqp9.jpg

My favia or something frag that was wicked bleached until I realized it needed to be off the sand and is now extending sweeper tentacles and colored up! Next to that is my purple monti digi. I has not really grown out, but rather has gotten bulkier, and spread over the rock. Anyone know why it has not branched out? I am thinking it may be the halimeda using all the calcium.

montidigiwc2.jpg

A blasto or two chillin on the rock, one of my favorites. Next to it are 'radioactive' zoos or something cool like that.

blastovu6.jpg

And finally, the FTS. Quite possibly one of the worst FTSs on nano-reef, but I was short on time.

ftscs8.jpg

Also, my girlfriend noticed these bubbles in the seam of the tank. they go along the left vertical seam of the front of the tank. I have been watching them for almost a month now, and there is no growth of the bubbles, however it worries me that there are bubbles in my seam! What do you think?

bubbles1df9.jpg

Thanks

Mrseptember15

FINALLY! You updated it! The long wait now ends, nice shroom and fts. I hope bubbles in the seam don't mean that its breaking apart :-(

I would watch those bubbles, you should be ok for a bit but it does mean that it is pulling apart unless it was a shabby silicone job. What happened to the blue on the overflows?

ProFlatlander15

Haha- I have no idea what happened to the blue. I think the lights might have been too intense or something, and the paint just peeled off. Kinda funny, cuz if you look closely, the coralline has covered where the blue was missing anyway, but only up to about 4 inches below the surface. Then there is an invisible line, as if it cannot grow up there. Maybe the lights?

• 2 months later...
ProFlatlander15

Kinda...more depends on the day. I find that the gurgling goes away after a water change and comes back after a week or so...I think it mjght have something to do with the water level sllloooowwwwwlllyy going down in the overflow. For the most part itis bearable though.

I recently took out every rock in my tank, scrubbed all the caulerpa off, and re-aquascaped. Now it seems my hair algae is comming back. UGH! I try to get pics up when I go home for Easter.

• 1 month later...
ProFlatlander15

It's been a while and I've done quite a few things to my tank, and being home from school I have a little bit of time to upload some stuff.

Here is a Kalkenstein I made. Baby blue was the only color spray paint I had, lol. Now I need to start my dosing pump idea.

kalkensteingq7.jpg

My chiller! I love this thing already! Yesterday my temp was 86, today I have yet to see it go above 80.4! (I have it set at that). Easy to set up and everything, powered by a Mag 3 (thanks theimpulsive).

chillerkr9.jpg

My purple monti, it has really taken off in the past month or so. I keep 'fragging' the porr thing almost every water change.

purplemontiqb1.jpg

A red shroom with blue dots. Cool!

redshroombq5.jpg

A new hammer, doing well, also another purple monti and orange monti.

hammer2digisjz9.jpg

A green ric, moved a few times so there are babies around.

greenricmi6.jpg

My favia (or something) ready for war.

faviapn8.jpg

Finally the FTS, new rockwork too.

fts52007oi6.jpg

There are a bunch more corals, but I am kinda short on time, so hopefully I can get some pics soon!

Archived