Top Shelf Aquatics

Classroom Nano

12thMan

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi,

First of all, I think what you're doing is great. I want to do a similar thing at the Boys and Girls Club.

Someone talked about a clownfish magnet. I read somewhere that putting one of those clownfish feeder clips near the prospective host sometimes worked. I would have to go back again and see what corals you said you had, but if I recall it didn't sound like you had anything a clown would want to associate with. I think the GARF website has some good suggestions (www.garf.org) for alternate clown hosts, as well as what people have suggested here. I believe the coral has to be about 2/3 larger than the fish.

The tiger pistol shrimp/goby relationship would be interesting for kids too.

Good luck-

Tasha

Thanks for all the input, I think I'll quit worrying about getting the clown to host anymore.

On the pistol shrimp/goby topic, can I add these two to my tank as is or would I have to remove the clown. Its a 10 gallon tank so I don't want too high a bioload or to put two species together that aren't compatible together. I tried searching here and other places and couldn't find an answer to this. My students have become very attached to "Krusty" so if these guys aren't compatible I'll just stick to what I already have.

BustytheSnowMaam

On the Premium Aquatics website, you can order a yellow watchman goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair for $44. The URL is www.premiumaquatics.com , they offer the pair on their livestock availability list http://www.premiumaquatics.com/LiveStock.htm . It is towards the top. You could call or e-mail them and ask what the requirements would be to keep them and what they would be compatible with. I have read about their relationship before and thought it sounded interesting. I think the clown would be ok with a watchman goby (???), I don't know about the shrimp. I have ordered from PA before with no problems- the only caveat is that not only is the pair a bit expensive but s/h will be too.

Tasha

I don't think you'd have a problem keeping all three. How old is your tank and what are the water params 12thMan? So long as you have enough LR, are having no current nutrient problems, and your tank is established and stable, then two small fish and a shrimp are within stocking limits. It may be cheaper to try and find these two animals locally. See if a LFS will order them for you if they don't have them in stock.

Satch,

I really don't test for anything but temp and occasionally salinity. I've had the tank running for 3+ months now with about 15 lbs lr. I plan on going by my lfs this afternoon to check on the possibility of having them order the shrimp/goby. From everthing I have read, I should go for a yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp. I think there is enough open spaces in the rockwork for the pair to make cave in so I won't have to rearrange anything.

Archived