ReefCleaners.org

Classroom Nano

12thMan

First I want to thank everone on this list for all the info I have read over the past few months. I have a 10 gallon reef setup in my 5th grade classroom and had a few questions. My clown (true perc) has been in the reef for almost a month now and he hasn't taken up to hosting in any of my corals. I have gsp, hairy mushroom and some button polyps. I have read that sometimes they don't host, but I would love for him/her to do so because interactions between organisms is a large part of my science curriculum. I would love to get an anenome for my kids to see the symbiotic relationship with the clown, but I don't want to deal with the aftermath of its death. Anyway, long story short, do y'all have any suggestions that might help to motivate my clown to host in something.

My specs:

10 gallon

2x13 watt 10K/Actinic (I know this is low, but this is on a teacher budget)

50 watt heater

Powerheads: aquaclear 101 and maxi jet 400

true perc

4-5 snails

4-5 hermits

gsp, green hairy mushroom, button polyps, yellow polyps

growing aiptasia colony

Here's a pic also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the poor pic, its from a crappy camera!

There's not much you can do other than cross your fingers. You are right about avoiding the anemone. They are more trouble than they are worth and, in the event of death, the smell is otherwordly.

I heard that if you put one of those Clown Fish magnets near the host, the perc will get jealous and may take to the host. I was going to try this but my clown took to my BTA the day I planned to buy the magnet.

I don't want to seem like an ass here... but is the only reason that you guys don't keep anemones is so that you don't have to deal with their smell when you die? I would have thought that perhaps it would be because they can't live well in captive and you actually cared about their continuation as a species. I would have expected more from a teacher......

There's not much you can do to convince him to take a host. My clown and frogspawn were together for 3-4 months before he finally took to it. A lot of times, this isn't the best of things. Clowns have a tendancy to rub up against its host. Anemones are OK with this, but corals are often irritated to death by it. You could consider getting a Euphyllia species. They're more anemone-like than what you have in there. From what I've seen, frogspawns seem to have a higher tollerance for a hosting clown than most other corals of this genus.

If you're interested in demonstrating symbiotic relationships, another option would be a pistol shrimp and a goby. Do a search here on it, and you'll find lots of info. It's fascinating to watch. Perhaps more so than a clown/anemone.

With or without a hosting clown, I think you're doing a great service to your students. Wish I had a teacher like you....

Originally posted by Inpha

I don't want to seem like an ass here... but is the only reason that you guys don't keep anemones is so that you don't have to deal with their smell when you die?  

Actually, when I die I hope to stink up the joint. As for when the anemone dies, yeah it stinks but that isn't why I wouldn't keep one. If you do a search you will see I have posted several times on why they are not good for small reefs. A few of my reasons:

1. they move around too much and can harm other livestock

2. they can end up in the intake of a powerhead way too easily

3. they are very sensitive to their environment.

4. if one dies and it isn't caught fast enough, say bye bye to the tank.

5. THEY STINK WHEN THEY DIE!!!

Of course there are reasons for not keeping them other than the smell (oh man the smell) but I was just adding it for chits and giggles.

Hope this clarifies my post.

Oh, and Inpha, you don't seem like an ass. (jk)

Put yourself into the position of a clownfish. Now look at your tank layout and inhabitants. Is there really a need for a host in your tank at the moment? If there is, what would you look for? Close to heat and light high in the tank?

I think this might answer your question.

Originally posted by Pikelet

Put yourself into the position of a clownfish.  Now look at your tank layout and inhabitants.  Is there really a need for a host in your tank at the moment.  If there is, what would you look for?   I think this might answer your question.

lmao. Be the Fish.

ya could use some more snails in there.

Anemones are not a good idea period.

I have ceased carying them or supporting the sale of MANY species. They are just too difficult to maintain at current time with our technology and lack of nutritional/environmental needs.

becides you have no where near the lighting needed.

A Cleaner shrimp, a Powder blue Tang and a tank full of Ick would be more interesting. :D

J/K please dont put a tang in a 10 gal.

PS: what salt and are you using RODI water?

Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize that the clown hosting in the corals would be an irritation to them. I'll have to look in to the pistol shrimp/goby relationship, I have not heard of this interaction.

As far as my caring for the continuation of the species, I look at my classroom as a small window into other worlds. Kind of like a zoo. I have three freshwater tanks (amazon, community, and crawfish), a cornsnake, my nano reef, and too many plants to count. If the death of one individual of a species in my class occurs (and it has a few times over the past few years) I regret it. But if having that organism in my classroom encouraged students to have a greater appreciation of the living things around them, I think the loss was worth it. I do try, however, to accomodate the needs of all plants and animals in my class. It takes a lot of time, but I enjoy it. I'm not sure if this came out the right way, but I hope y'all understand my point.

Sorry Dave, I forgot about your question. I buy pre-mixed ro water from my lfs. They told me what salt they use once, but I forgot it. I'll look to getting some more snails on my next trip to the lfs.

printerdown01

My maroon took my fox coral (an euphillia sp. so it needs light!). Both appear to be very happy. I expected to have problems, but the fox doesn't seem to notice the clown.

I'll pass along the suggestion given to me when I asked how to keep my clownfish from hosting in my hammer coral. For an alternate host, toadstool and finger leather corals (Lobophytum and Sarcophytum) are apparently more popular with clowns than the euphyllia spp.

condylactis would be the only anemone i would 'recommend' (cheap and common). depending on the species you'd get (they label everything condys) i'd say it's 60/40 yes/no that it'll host. i agree with dave to pass on it though. the system's a little small for a low-maintenance situation (that's jmo from what i've read and inferred).

go for another perc, imo that situation would be just as 'cool' and more informative. the pairing, sex change, courtship, social hierarchy, and mating! :woot: jk

I had a clown live with a xenia for several years. It took right to it. It also grows rather rapidly and you can also have a class in propogation of the coral.

Fant is 100 % right.

also try Kenya trees. Capnellia species. Great fer clowns and some species of caulerpa algaes carefully formed into a tight growth ball pattern will work too.

Originally posted by Metznreef

yeah, let's teach 5th graders that changing your sex so your spouse won't kill you is fun!!!!: (jk)

Bwahahahahahaha:D

I didn't catch what your lighting is, but if you have enough, you might try a plate coral or a frogspawn. I had skunk clowns host in a long-tentacle plate. One of them also slept on its side on a modern meat coral. If you get a plate, be aware that you'll need plenty of room for it on your sandbed, and that your lighting must be strong enough to penetrate down that far.

I am the walrus.

i'm sorry. i didn't mean force the condy onto the fish or vice versa. it was merely a cheaper alternative than the natural hosts.

many 'condy' species will not host. typically, the colored ones, the white and orange bases can be adapted to by the fish. it's usually the ugly anemones that are the easiest to host.

:rolleyes: (no comment)

actually, all anemones can eat their guests whether or not they are natural commensurals or not. it's up to the fish to neutralize the threat/food view the anemone has of the fish. the percs are usually very good at adopting an appropriate host ime.

i agree, xenia are a very good choice too.

Originally posted by Crakeur

see, I was going to say Be the fish Danny but I figured the reference would be unappreciated.  That's twice you've caught my wit satch.  Impressive.

thank you very little

Archived