Cultivated Reef

Moonyguy's New Pico

moonyguy

Hello Fellows

Here are some details about my new pico. Has been running for about 10 days.

Tank: 1.6 gallon/hex Cost: 20$ from walmart

Lights: 10w 50/50 PC Bulb Cost: 10$ from BigAls

Live Sand: 1 lbs Cost: 5$ from LFS

Live Rock: 2.5 lbs Cost: 15$ from LFS

Water movement: Aqua Clear HOB Nano Cost: 13$ from Petco

Current residents: 1 Cerith Snail

Pico1.jpg

Pico2.jpg

Pico3.jpg

Comments welcome.

Vishnu

neanderthalman

interesting aquascaping - it's always difficult in a small tank. That's some great coloration on that LR on the right....what's that green thing in the sand in front of it?

Thanks a lot. I was really inspired by your tank and felt confident that I can give it a shot. The green thing in the sand is a shell that came in with the LS but it was empty so I it sit there. Right now my temperature has stabilized to 84F and my evaporation is not terrible (1/4-1/2-inch) per week. My params are ph ~8, Nitrites 0, Kh 180, Nitrates 20 ppm. I was wondering about the Nitrates. Will they come down to 0? I ask this because anything below 20 ppm in FW is pretty acceptable. Just curious. Thanks again.

clear skies

Vishnu

nice set up! how much did all of that cost you i am thinking of starting a pico and wanna know how mush monmey i should set aside just to start it off!

So far my cost has been ~70$. But the tank is pretty empty as far as life forms go. So I am expecting at least another 100$ for anything alive I drop in there. Unless I get some local donations from my school buddies here who have large 40-150 gal reef tanks.

Details below:

Tank: 1.6 gallon/hex Cost: 20$ from walmart

Lights: 10w 50/50 PC Bulb Cost: 10$ from BigAls

Live Sand: 1 lbs Cost: 5$ from LFS

Live Rock: 2.5 lbs Cost: 15$ from LFS

Water movement: Aqua Clear HOB Nano Cost: 13$ from Petco

Thermometer: 3$ from Petco

Hydrometer: 4$ from Petco

Total: 70$

Nitrates probably won't drop to zero. This would require anerobic bacteria and tanks this size (or even regular nano-sized) usually don't have enough anerobic space. Nitrates typically managed via water changes.

84 degrees is too high IMHO for a reef.

I like the aquascaping.

C

Thanks a lot Carinya. I am working towards getting the temperature problem solved. Any idea what will be an acceptable level for Nitrates?

Vishnu

I check and record the temperature twice every day before I turn on and off my lights and it pretty much stays there. I will want to continue watching this till the tank cycles and see where to go from there.

neanderthalman

Try increasing airflow against the OUTSIDE of your tank. I had similar temperatures last summer, and a desk fan worked perfectly. A small fan pointed at the tank from across the room should drop the temperature by at least a few degrees. If the temperature drops too much you may need to pick up a little heater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellows,

With everything under control I added a couple of Astrea snails and a small Bule Damsel to the tank. I am waiting for my first frags this weekend sometime. A local reefer was trimming his tank and he offered to give some free. :)

Damsel has been busy digging holes.

clear skies

Vishnu

damsel.jpg

damsel1.jpg

Addicted to Nano-Reefs

You shoudn't put a Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsel in a 1.6 gallon not to mention a 1.6 gallon hexagon, they get to around three inches, get a cool shrimp or crab. Cool Live Rock though.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Since I have it in the only way to get rid of him is get a bigger tank for him. So will watch and see if I upgrade. For now he stays in there.

Okay guys. The damsel is gone:) Thanks to your advice. The store would'nt take him back so I put him up for adoption there. So my tank is back to where it was.. 2 happy snails. I am getting my first donation of frags from a local reefer this weekend.

Thanks for the advice and patience.

Hello Fellows,

Just to update that of the three frags I got, the leather coral and the mushroom are doing fine. The mushroom fully opens with the lights and shrinks out at night and has found a home in the LR. One tree coral has not shown any signs of life so far but I am leaving him in there for a couple of weeks to give him a chance. So far so good and the tank is doing just fine.

clear skies

Vishnu

Tank as of now:

pico4.jpg

The red mushroom:

pico5.jpg

Leather coral?

pico6.jpg

Off topic we managed to train our 10-inch oscar to hit ping pong ball out of the tank. Some low-res video here (1 MB)

Oscar playing ball

Hello everyone,

Got done with my finals today so it was time to revisit the LFS. I have added 4 tiny blue legged hermit crabs to the tank. So the current residents of the tank include:

2 cerith snails

1 astrea snail

4 hermit crabs

1 red mushroom

1 leather coral

1 tree coral

Just wondering if I have too many things in the tank...especially the crabs?

clear skies

Vishnu

neanderthalman

Are those blue-leg hermits? They aren't much of a bioload - same with the snails...you've got more than enough of a cleanup crew, but it shouldn't be a problem. Sucks that the LFS didn't take back the damsel for store credit...but at least it's out of your tank.

Thanks a lot nean. I got lots of green algae growth in the tank and the snails seem to love it and feeding off them. I am not sure what to feed my mushroom and other corals. I got a bottle of DTs phytoplankton but just dropped 5 drops once 10 days ago. Is it necesary to feed the coral anything? If so how much?

Thanks for the advice about the damsel...we were happy to get rid of him. LFS has credit policy only for FW returns...

clear skies

Vishnu

• 2 weeks later...
aquariumgirl

Hehe, I think the ping pong ball trick with you Oscar is great, very funny actually!:) You should think about getting some sexy shrimp! I have one in my 0.75 gallon pico cube, they are so much fun to watch. You could probably get away with having a yellow clown goby or even a pygme goby in your tank.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will explore that option. For now I am happy that my three frags are doing great and am looking forward to adding a couple more next week.

Vishnu

Archived