inTank Media Baskets

Moonyguy's New Pico

moonyguy

Just want to update that my LFS had a remodeling sale and I got some small cheap frags to add to the pico.

White Star Polyp: 6$

Neon color leather: 5$

Green Star Polyp: 5$ (got this from woody)

My red mushroom has been growing in full force thanks to the small table fan which has stablized my temperature at 80F. Its about 3 inches across now.

Vishnu

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys

I got some new frags from my LFS yesterday. Some photo update.

Candy Cane (7-polyps): 10$

candy.jpg

candy-1.jpg

WSP 1 inch across on LR: 5$

GSP.jpg

Frogspawn 1-inch head: 7$

Frogspawn.jpg

Full Tank:

Pico8.jpg

clear skies

Vishnu

I just bought a 5gallon hex at Walmart for $29 which includes, hood, light, pump, w/Bio filter. I was going to make it a fresh water tank but after seeing your 1.5g I'm almost there!

So if I wanted to make this a reef tank It would total out too...

Tank: 5 gallon/hex Cost: 29$ from walmart

Live Sand: 1 lbs Cost: 5$ from LFS

Live Rock: 2.5 lbs Cost: 15$ from LFS

Thermometer: 3$ from Petco

Hydrometer: 4$ from Petco

Total: $56

I win! lol

Cool. If it works for you good for you:) No competetion here. Might want to see if the Bio Filter is enough to give enough flow in your tank. Also your lights are going to cost a lot more than mine. In anycase its fun to do it and its a great learning experience.

clear skies

Vishnu

I know, I was joking about winning. Im sure there is a "Cheapest Reef Tank" thread on this board.

Your probably right regarding the flow. The biofilter wouldnt hinder the flow rate as it's a wheel not a pass through type bio media you see in some filter pumps.

The 5G Hex tank at walmart seams pretty week to me. Currently not enough current in the tank to sway the cheap plastic plants in it now anyway.

Just for SnG's, if I did decide to salinate this baby, exactly how much water circulation does one need in a Nano Reef, and how does one tell if your not getting enough water flow over your reef in the first place?

neanderthalman

When your crabs are holding on to the LR for dear life...then you're getting enough flow. I think you want something like 50-100X turnover...but I'm not sure on that.

Archived