ReefCleaners.org

Polyp and shrooms ID

Fylhtq

reef hugger

Jennie is right, 1st pic looks like star polyps. It would be easier to get a positive id if we could see a close up detail of the polyps. 2nd pic is a nice yuma colony.

Tomaso_Pantera

Those are Yumas. Floridian rics and Pacific rics aka Yumas are rohdactis sp. . But what is comomly sold as a "Rohdatics mushroom"

Have small nubs that fork( tenticles) that arent uniform or as prominant as a yumas as far as diameter. More times than not they have no tenticles around the mouth or on the mouth like Yumas do.

hairy tonga shrooms do have these though but again they aret in uniformed arangements.

reef hugger
Floridian rics and Pacific rics aka Yumas are rohdactis sp.

What? Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

There are two types of Ricordea that are commonly sold in the aquarium trade. R. florida from the Caribbean and R. yuma from the Indo-Pacific.

Rhodactis sp. also come from the Indo-Pacific but, are not a form of Ricordea.

Tomaso_Pantera

Thats right they are not. Rocordea are a form of Rhodactis. Not the other way around.Thats what I said the first time .

Thats right about the two type of ricordea as well.

They are found in the pacific and in the gulf/caribean. The ones found in the caribean tend to be slightly smaller then the ones found in the pacific. Yumas that is. BTW they have also been found in the Atlantic but very rarely. I will have to look up the website again I found the pictures on with the atlanic Yuma. O know by all means the water should be too cold and the light to lacking but thats where they said the found them?

reef hugger

Uhh... Actually the classification goes like this per this site. About 3/4 way down the page.

Phylum Cnidaria;

Class Anthozoa;

Subclass Hexacorallia;

Order Corallimorpharia;

| |

| Family Discosomatidae;

| Genus Rhodactis;

|

Family Ricordeidae;

Genus Ricordea;

Ricordea are not a form of Rhodactis.

I heard that there have been yumas found in Caribbean waters from another reefer on this board. I would love to see the website that has the pics of the Atlantic yuma. I have my doubts about them actually being yumas.

joshnemily is correct. Ricordea is a separate genus altogether from the Rhodactis genus - not even in the same family. One is not a form of the other no matter how you slice n dice it. (which means: Ricordea are not a form of Rhodatis. period.)

Tomaso_Pantera

Wow. Thanks for setting me straight guys.

1/2 of the most colorfull Yumas on the market are from the caribean and pacific Josh. I have My doubts too about the atlantic Yuma but I thought it might be worth getting out there. Incase anyone else had any info on it.

Here is a hole slew of atlantic yuma info I found on Google.They are saying ( pretty much every site, ) That fLorida Yuma rics are atlantic Yuma rics.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Yuma+...in+the+Atlantic

reef hugger

After reading those links, I didn't find one that said there are yumas in the Atlantic. I think you need to read some of them again.

caribbean? is the same as atlantic. also atlantic ocean is a natural warm ocean. pacific ocean is a considered a cold ocean. do some research.

Tomaso_Pantera

Thank you. gotfish.

Josh did you realy look at that link?

I dont think so. The description of just about every link Says ATLANTIC RICOREA. She'sh!

reef hugger

Sorry Fylhtq, we seem to have hijacked your thread. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon. See below for the answer to your last post.

Originally posted by Tomaso_Pantera

Josh did you realy look at that link?

I dont think so. The description of just about every link Says ATLANTIC RICOREA. She'sh!

Like I said, yes i did read all of those links. When you do a search on google or any other search engine for that matter, the words that you search for will be highlighted in bold. If you notice none of your searchs had "Yuma Ricordia in the Atlantic" all attached together. Those search words were pulled from various parts of those webpages. If you look again at your search results there is not a single one the has YUMA next to ATLANTIC. Most of them were comparing R. yuma from the Pacific to R. florida from the Atlantic.

I still want a specific website, not search results, that show that there were Ricordea yuma found in the Atlantic.

That fLorida Yuma rics are atlantic Yuma rics

If you remove the word yuma from the sentence above you would be closer to correct. So that it looked like this "That fLorida rics are atlantic rics"

1/2 of the most colorfull Yumas on the market are from the caribean and pacific

Quick biology lesson. The genus name is Ricordea for both types. The species name of the Pacific ric is yuma. The species name of the Atlantic ric is florida. Yuma IS NOT the common name for all Ricordea, just the ones from the Pacific.

To restate what I just said:

ATLANTIC/CARIBBEAN RICORDEA are Ricordea florida,

PACIFIC RICORDEA are Ricordea yuma.

O know by all means the water should be too cold and the light to lacking but thats where they said the found them?
caribbean? is the same as atlantic. also atlantic ocean is a natural warm ocean. pacific ocean is a considered a cold ocean. do some research.

I do believe that g0tfish's post was directed toward you.

All that to tell him he had some Pachyclavularia violacea and some Rhodactis spp. mushrooms...lol.

Wowza..:)

Cheers,

Fred

Tomaso_Pantera

Josh wrote "I would love to see the website that has the pics of the Atlantic yuma."

Then Gotfish wrote "caribbean? is the same as atlantic. also atlantic ocean is a natural warm ocean. pacific ocean is a considered a cold ocean. do some research."

Own up to it Josh. you thoght the same thing I did man. The caribbean and the atlantic were different.

You are obviously a Pompus ass.

Tomaso..what are you talking about?

Get an atlas there, chief...the Caribbean IS part of the Atlantic......

Also..as to the warm ocean/cold ocean debate....it all has to do with what PART of the ocean we're talking about here. In general, warm ocean currents flow up the Western side of an ocean (for the Atlantic, that would bring them along the Eastern coast of the Americas, for the Pacific that would bring them straight up through the Coral Sea area...where we get most of our corals from), and then back down the Eastern side of the ocean (bringing colder currents to the Western Coast of the Americas in the Pacific, and to the Western Coast of Europe/Africa for the Atlantic)

Cheers,

Fred

Tomaso_Pantera

I know dude. I made a mistake. So did Josh. He just wont admit it.

I never said it wasnt, I just didnt know it wasnt because I posted Caribbean and atlantic seperatly. I have no problems with being wrong.

Originally posted by Tomaso_Pantera

I have no problems with being wrong.

I am very glad to hear that, you must be happy most of the time.....:D

reef hugger

What I am trying to get out of you is proof of a Ricordea yuma that has been found in the Atlantic, Caribbean, or Gulf of Mexico. You have not provided any proof, like you said you had. Until you do, Ricordea yuma are NOT found in the Atlantic, Caribbean, or Gulf of Mexico, but are found in the Indo-Pacific. Ricordea florida are the only rics found in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico. I would gladly change my views on this subject if anyone can provide scientific proof of R. yuma being found in the Atlantic.

I never said that the Atlantic is different from the Caribbean. I was using Atlantic as a way of telling the difference between the 2 Ricordeas, Pacific Ricordea (R. yuma) and Atlantic Ricordea (R. florida). I was trying not confuse you but, obviously it didn't work.

Dickie, :D.

Archived