Innovative Marine Aquariums

Polyp and shrooms ID

Fylhtq

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

All that to tell him he had some Pachyclavularia violacea and some Rhodactis spp. mushrooms...lol.

Wowza..:)

Cheers,  

Fred

Fred, are you sure that it's Rhodactis spp, exactly?

They aren't Ricordea spp....Ricordea have uniform verrucae across their surface. The shrooms you have are a Rhodactis spp. or Discosoma (=Actinodiscus) spp. Do a search for "Hairy Mushrooms" to find many similar pics.

If you paid Ricordea prices for them, I'm sorry..you got ripped.

Cheers,

Fred

EDIT: For good pictures of Ricordea spp., check out http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/reefslides/

reef hugger

Not all Ricordea have uniform pseudo-tentacles across the oral disc like Fred said. The florida do tend to have uniform pseudo-tentacles. While yuma pseudo-tentacles can vary quite a bit in size across the oral disc. (Note: I used pseudo-tentacle instead of verrucae to describe the projections on the oral disc. I do believe verrucae is the wrong term to describe these bumps. "Verrcuae- larger-than-polyp bumps composed of several corallites" per this site, you have to skip to slide 9)

Rhodactis sp. will usually have pseudo-tentacles that are split into multiple tips.

BTW, if you havn't guessed already, I still think they are Ricordea yuma

Problem with my syntax: Didn't mean to say "uniform verrucae"...meant to say "their surface is uniformly covered in verrucae". Error corrected.

The pseudo-tentacles or vessicles (why I said verrucae is beyond me..verrucae refer to the specialized cells on the underside of Stichodactyla spp. anemones that they use to anchor themselves into place) of Ricordea completely cover the oral disc. They look a lot like miniature carpet anemones (which is why they can be confused readily with S. tapetum).

"Ricordea spp. have vesicle-like tentacles on the oral disc. While some species of Discosoma and Rhodactis may develop vesicles on the oral disc, there is no mistaking them with the pronounced tentacles of Ricordea." --from Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...2002/invert.htm

Cheers,

Fred

Archived