Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquaclear 110(500) Fuge For Eclipse 12 Project

EPICTANKHERE

EPICTANKHERE

109 WATTS! damn i am jealous! LOL. I bought my fan parts yesterday, but will wait till next week for that porject. cant wait till i can keep the feeding hood on! Do you think the light will spill in enough to light your fuge. post some pics!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EPICTANKHERE

i have a mix of small snails (no turbos) think they are cirith and nassureus (sp?) about 10 of those, and 10 small hermits that wont leave my gorgonian alone. I got the janitor pack from Garf.org. i went from cleaning green algea every 4 hours to once every week! garf.org is great just call them and tell them about your tank and they will give you exactly what you need. they also gave me their crushed lr and coral substrate called grunge that i mixed in with my live sand, that stuff is like crack for a fish tank and it looks really cool! it was all 40 bucks with shipping. can't compliment them enough!

Epic and/or WFrancis, care to show us how you mounted all your lighting under the hood? Epic looks like he's got a quad and two t-5s. Thanks.

EPICTANKHERE

I wish i had 2 t5s in there also but i think you just saw the reflection of the quad in the hood. If you remove the stock lighting from the hood there are two plastic studs that the original was mounted to. the studs measured about an inch and a half so i shaved them down to about an inch. I then drill holes in the reflector to match the spots where the studs were and mounted the light there. At first it seemed a little flimsy but it worked perfect. I believe WFrancis mounted the original stock in there too for an extra 13 watts. he attatched it to the feeding door. I love the powerquad but am aware that the light has to be changed at least once a year because it has a pretty bad color shift. All my coral doubled in size after the mod. My next project is to mount 2 pc fans in the hood which i will document on this thread. That light really heats things up! Thanks for checking it out and asking!!!

I've got some pics under a thread in the beginners forum. just search for it. Very easy to mount. just drill two holes. i left the stock filtration in for a while so i has to bend part of the reflector to get it to fit.

What's up with your tank? Did you mount the fans? I had to move my fan to the top like we talked about. It's even more effective on the top than on the back. Post some pics.

EPICTANKHERE

No I havn't done it yet! Been way too busy to get a couple hours str8 to work on it. I got all the supplies and fans. Just need the time to do it. can i get a pic of exactly where you mounted yours? Everything else is great my water is params are perfect, just getting bad temp swings still :-(.

Epic/WFrancis, any recommendations for Dremel kit (handle, accessories, bits, etc.) Or other tools to make my mods easier and lookin "pimp"? I've got some free time this week to do my mods (AC500 fuge, powerquad retrofit, ventilation fan, and hopefully some add'l moonlights a la WFrancis) but I want to gather all necessary supplies and tools first so I can sit down and knock everything out in one sitting.

EPICTANKHERE

I used the dremil, with the circular cutting tool to cut through the eclipse hood. I barrowed it from a friend he had 2 sized discs one was very small and thin, and couldn't handle it would just break the disk in half, so i moved up to the bigger disc that makes cutting corners hard i think it was meant for metal. Both melted more than cut so do it really slow. I then used a cylinder shaped sanding bit to round it out and smooth. Just take your time and practice! You'll figure out what's best for you. Take some pics and post em too! I would love to see how you do your vents and fans, i still havn't done this and really got to get to it! Right now i am rotating frozen water bottles in the fuge to keep the temp stable. It's the busy season at work (TV pilots) so cant get a free moment. Hopefully i can get some ideas from yours POST PICS! Thanks clipse12!

This may not help you any... When I am mounting a fan I use a hole saw on my drill. This allows you to get a round hole in just a few seconds. Then all thats left is drilling four little mounting holes. Oh always use nylon hardware, but I guess thats widely known. If any of you are tired of going to Radio Shack and paying too much for fans and DC transformers check this site out www.allelectronics.com . They have got fans for as little as $2.00 and as small as 1.59" square X 0.41" thick. Money saved is more money for more critters.

Epic, here's an update. BTW did the front of your tank bow forward after cutting the cross beam and adding the AC500 fuge?

EPICTANKHERE

Thats a great place for the fans! I mounted my powerquad too close to the hood and don't think they'll fit that way in mine, You'll have to tell me how well they cool your tank down. I don't think the tank itself bowed. My hood is a little flimsy with all the mods but it fits the tank perfectly still. i don't think it would if the tank shape changed.

The water temp was constant at 79F; just like my heater setting. I'm gonna try using a lower voltage AC adapter and hopefully get the same cooling effect. The 12V adapter makes the fans spin at max speed, but also at max noise level. I think you're right about the bowing. I think my hood is a bit warped b/c I forced the reflector on though one of the holes was slightly off center with the plastic post. I'll try enlarging the hole.

EPICTANKHERE

i got an adapter that has a variable voltage from 3 to 12, that way you can adjust the speed (once i get around to doing it!). What did you use to bore your vent holes?

Sorry for the late reply, had guests over this weekend. I used a 5/32 drill bit for the vent holes and a 1/8 bit for the mounting holes. The fans were part of a HD cooling kit. I detached the fans from the heat sink and used it as a template for my vent and mounting holes.

Here's what I started with:

http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/im...F-CF602-pkg.jpg

Here are the fans w/o the heat sink (top view, similar to view in product image link)

12196031605Mod_6_-med.JPG

Here are the fans w/o heat sink (bottom view)

12196031605Mod_5_-med.JPG

Originally posted by thecowkid

thank you,  That is a little gem I remove about 2 oz of scum every day.  Took about 10 minutes to make it.  If you want simple directions I will post them.

Did you post the directions somewhere? I'd like to see them. Thanks!!

Archived