SaltCritters.com

check out my custom eclipse 12

wfrancis76

EPICTANKHERE

whoa! checked out that fluval! crazy. does it hang on the back? hows it working? your water must be crystal clear. is it messing with your nitrates?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a converted AC300 fuge on my 12g Eclipse and a Fluval 204 that I put on about two weeks ago. I really like the Fluval - it runs whisper quiet, has 3 media baskets and the quick hose release mechanism is damn near genius. I clean it once a week when I do my water changes. Takes me longer to walk it to the sink than to do maintenance on it. I'd recommend one as long as you keep it clean.

I think my water is cleaner than city water with all the media i'm running. i've got zero nitrates. i'm running a nitrate sponge in both the fluval and the ac300. i've also got chemi-pure, regular carbon, purgen from seachem, and phos-ban. alot of these guys don't like to use alot of media but i figured, they're cheap and effective, might as well use them. i clean the filters twice a week and it only takes me a few minutes. i haven't seen algae on the glass since i hooked up the fluval. it's a big ass canister that you set next to or behind your tank on the floor. it also increases the overall volume by about 1 gallon. i got it a petsmart. they're web site had it listed for $61 and in the store they wanted $109!! i printed out the web site and argued with the manager until she gave me the $61 price.

i'll take some pics soon.

the theory that filter media creates nitrates is total BS. the filter media traps detrius material that was in the tank. the material is already there so it's going to decay and create nitrates whether it's in your tank or in the filter. the filter just makes it easier to clean the detrius out. the same goes with bio filters. these guys always say that they are "nitrate factories" so is your live rock buy we leave that in there. if you let your bio media collect detrius and never clean it then of course you'll get alot of nitrates. but the bio filter allow you to have a higher bio-load in the tank. the only draw back is that they take ammonia away from the LR wich would cause a longer cycle in the beginning.

just my opinion.

EPICTANKHERE

got to hook up some pics guys! where does the intake and return go? I am getting sold on this thing. What is purgen and phosban?

The intake and return are just hoses that hang over the edge of the tank and then feed down to the filter. But now you're just being silly as you can look up the filter, purigen and phosban in about two seconds at marinedepot.

I'm glad to see people are still buying the Eclipse 12 for nano reefs. With a little research and modifications, they can be one

of the best tanks to use. You can basically mod them for almost any type of reef...believe me, I've seen some awesome Eclipse 12's on here that caused me to get one) Usually, most Eclipse 12 people upgrade to bigger tanks, but there are still some of use here....

Good luck everyone with their Eclipse's!

EPICTANKHERE

you're right selch i am being lazy i did look them up, was more curious on your impressions on these medias and how clamping the hoses to the tank work out. I dont think i am going to go for it, i don't know if i have room in the back of my tank for the hoses. does the return create a lot of flow? Enough to replace a power head? I agree sickboy i don't think you can beat the shape of the eclipse 12!

I'm running a Poly filter pad, Purigen and PhosGuard in my Fluval and am very happy with their results. My little canister Nitrate factory with those media give me test results of 0,0,0 across the board. ;) I just make sure I clean it when I do my water changes on the weekend.

I get great flow out of my Fluval (its listed at 180gph - probably getting 150-170gph in my real world scenario) but its enough that I did remove a powerhead from my system. So now I'm just running an AC30 (175gph) and the Fluval for my water movement. And I'm not counting the little bit of flow I get out of my AC300 Fuge.

I'm planning on removing the AC30 powerhead for a closed loop pump setup in the future but for now I'm very happy.

EPICTANKHERE

my nitrates still linger around 5-10 but i think it could be the year old tester i'm using, one of the chemical solutions for the nitrate test feels like some kind of solid has formed inside the bottle so i can't tell how accurate the tester is. If i can't get my nitrates to drop maybe i will get a nitrate factory LOL. Just can't deicide.

By the way, does anyone know the width of the back of the Eclipse 12? I've seen 21" listed but I think thats for the front of the tank and it appears it tapers down towards the back. I'm thinking its 20" or 19". I'm looking at putting a CPR Aquafuge on and want to make sure it fits. (And I'm too impatient to wait to measure it when I get home.) ;)

I've measured and found that the back of the Eclipse 12g is only 17" wide, therefore the medium Aquafuge won't fit as its 19" wide.

So I could spend $100 on the small Aquafuge or spend $40 on the AC500 and get close to the same volume. I think I'm going to do that.

Funky_Fish14
Originally posted by imafishboy

lol  where did you learns this stuff?

I know that wasnt directed at me, but I learned all about how to do those calculations in grade 9, lol. I've learned to wire things by watching my dad. But he wishes I wasnt wiring up my own hoods for my tanks.

Chris

would love to see hood shots of eclipse 12 users. I mean shots that show what the hood likes like when the tank is set up. The reason I say this is sometimes I've seen eclipse users do so many mods to their hoods that it just looks weird, which IMO defeats the purpose of getting an eclipse in the first place. When I modded my eclipse 5g hex I made sure that it looked the same from the outside as it did before I modified it.

Originally posted by clipse12

Nice photos.  What camera are you using?

i've got a nikon coolpix 4600. i just bought it. I use the action mode with the flash off.

Originally posted by calvin

would love to see hood shots of eclipse 12 users.  I mean shots that show what the hood likes like when the tank is set up.  The reason I say this is sometimes I've seen eclipse users do so many mods to their hoods that it just looks weird, which IMO defeats the purpose of getting an eclipse in the first place.  When I modded my eclipse 5g hex I made sure that it looked the same from the outside as it did before I modified it.

i'll tank some pix later. but it looks pretty much stock from the outside exept for a small cpu fan on the top. the entire back is cut out but you can't see that from the front.

Archived