Top Shelf Aquatics

Mandarin Fish

chrismiss

Why do people assume that noone does searches before they ask a question.

I absolutely do searches to avoid having to ask a question.

For instance, I found a thread where someone was keeping a Mandarin in a 2.5.

But, I'm sure it is unheard of to even mention the feasability of keeping one in a 25.

I will say that even though some people take the wrong approach to sharing info or giving opinions the advice is invaluable.

Long live the message board.

chrismiss- I am new to the hobby and I havent gotten a tank yet, so take my advice how you want. I was over on reef central I did a search on mandarin fish (all before I came across your thread) and found some really good info on this same subject, you should check it out. There are a few people over there with mandarins in 29 gal tanks. You would get the info you are looking for if you checked it out.

Casey

i think the question was origanly asked to see if any one had had sucess wit a mandrin in a small tank and the answer is yes, but that doesnt mean that you will if you try, the rule of thumb is at least 75lbs of live rock and you will find that any where that you do a search on mandrins even if you get a mandrin to eat prepaired foods you have to ask your self if you really are ready for the comitment of having one in a small setup i have one in a 12 gallon that is fat and happy, the process of geting him to eat prepaired foods took alot of paitence, live brine shrimp to baby brine that i had to hach myself every day, and finaly frozen enriched brine and blood worms, i used to love this fish and now i kinda hate him, it might be the feeding him three times a day, its like a prison sentence to take care of this one little fish and i cant even think of going away and leaving my tank to someone elses care, who is going to come over three times a day to feed my tank if i go on vacation, or its the fighting water quality issues due to such heavy feeding in a small tank i do love this fish but if i had to do it over again i would have waited untill i got a bigger setup (which im in the process of doing)

Mandarins are no special than the pods they eat, the same pods we don't care about. I say their beauty puts them in a position for capture. If they live, great, if they die, oh well. Its called evolution. If you wanna be an animal rights activist, you should be concerned about the "holocaust" of mackerals. F*** the dolphins!!!

Originally posted by jaykay

...If they live, great, if they die, oh well...

most mandarins you see in a lfs are gonna die of starvation at the store anyway (i don't know many madarins that take flake food X))... if your willing to keep a high pod population or willing to try perhaps a countless variety of foods with them...pick one up at a lfs and give it a whirl.

wow interesting stuff i just read. Alot of people on Reef Central has a mandarin in a small tank around 20 gallon and higher. Also i have an idea in mind. what if you have a nice big fuge would that compensate for having a small tank?

ReefMonkeee- Not really. A big fuge doesnt do the same thing as lots of LR in the tank, becuase the mandarin wont harvest the same amount of pods as it would if the rock were accessible to it.

Archived