Pod Your Reef

Mandarin Fish

chrismiss

Do you guys think a 6 month old 25g with about 30lbs of LR and 25lbs of LS is ready for a mandarin?

Water parameters are ideal.

My corals appear to be doing well, and my maroon clown has been in there for 5 months.

Do you not read???? Most people would say NO. I would say the only way the mandarin would survive is, if it already eats frozen mysis or blood worms. You will need to feed it a lot, and you more than likely will have an algae problem. Just my 2 pennies...

do you have a good amount of pod growth? Most people who say no aren't asking the right questions???I added mine to a nano 12ga at the 2nd month of the tanks life...I was lucky that it ate frozen foods, but that was luck. It lives in my 50t now over a year later and it is super healthy. It spent about 8 months in the nano.

Originally posted by cadesun

no.

Thanks for that great info CADESUN.

I personally wouldn't try one. Unless you get one that is eating prepared or frozen food like suggested above. You might have alot of pods, but they can wipe them all out in a few days. I have always heard 75-100 lbs of LR per Mandarin. Also no other fish that would compete with their food sourse. ie.. 6-line wrasse.

Bob

I'm surprised every time I post here how many completely rude people there are. It's amazing.

Of course I read. Do you? Everyone has a different experience as is demonstrated in this thread.

If you can't help being a smarta$$ don't bother posting a reply.

To the people who offered advice thank you. I'll put one in my 55g.

Ok maybe I was rude, but I also gave advice. To me everybody gave the same response, from what I READ... If you have read about mandarins, you would have known the response you would have got.

I agree with Chrismiss. There are times when people feel intimidated when asking a question because they know that they will get these kind of reactions. Sad, so sad. Instead of helping out they make you feel like crap. Hahaha.

Who in this thread did not help by not giving advice? Maybe we should have told him yes, thats what he wanted to hear anyway. And to want to put the thing in a 25g when he has a 55g??? doesnt make sence.

I've got a simple method of replenishing my pod population in my 2.5, for my rainfords goby. I basically have a five gallon jug i use to hold saltwater, i also got five pounds of live sand in there as well. So it kind of acts as a pod incubator. The jug is always infested with them, and a small water change every other day seems to keep my rainfords goby well fed. Im not saying it'll definately work with a mandarin in your tank, but in my OPINION, its like having a five gallon "refugium", just detached from the tank. But you also have to remember that a five gallon "refugium" for a 2.5 is overkill. Plus, a rainfords eats other things as well, while a mandarin's diet is strict. Either way, I'm not gonna bash on someone for trying. Remember when all marine tanks required at least fifty gallons, and a wet dry filter?

I have read that with a lot of planning and preparing you can keep a Mandarin in a 25g.

I gues the answer to my question is that a 25g is not large enough to support a Mandarin, unless they take prepared, frozen food.

If I just wanted to hear yes I would have just asked the salesman at one of my shady LFS. I was looking for more responsible replies.

Thank You.

Originally posted by bobioden

Thanks for that great info CADESUN.

I personally wouldn't try one.  Unless you get one that is eating prepared or frozen food like suggested above. You might have alot of pods, but they can wipe them all out in a few days. I have always heard 75-100 lbs of LR per Mandarin. Also no other fish that would compete with their food sourse. ie.. 6-line wrasse.

Bob

no problem BOBIODEN. if the guy had simply done a search for "mandarin" he would have found all the "great info" he needed. it takes just as long to look something up yourself as it does to ask a question that gets comes up constantly here.

Originally posted by cadesun

just because the title of this website has "nano" in it does not mean people on it only have nano tanks.  all resonable questions are welcomed.

Practice what you preach.

I wasnt implying that he couldnt ask the question here at all! I am totally open to that and would love to answer it myself! I probably should have put that differently.... let me try:

" Although good advice is often given here, I feel that the quality of advice that you recieve that pertains to your situation would be of less use than the advice you would recieve on www.tropicalresources.net"

Wow, it has gotten bitter since I replied a couple of days ago.

Let me explain my answer - Sure, go ahead and keep a mandarin in a nano if you would like, BUT, make sure you have a reliable means to feed it. Since it will make quick work of all the pods in a tank less than about 50 gallons, you will need to make sure it accepts frozen or prepared foods. Ask at the store and watch it feed - don't just accept the employee's word for it.

I have a scooter blenny (same dragonet family) in my nanocube and it is fat and happy. However, it ate all the pods in about 2 days time and then it took about two weeks to get it transfered to forzen brine. AND, I was lucky!!

Good luck!

Archived