Coral Vue Hydros

Dragonnet Feeding

Pinrod Urkish

Pinrod Urkish

It probly helped that I got my dragonet as my first fish so she didn't have to compete for food. Not now she's almost as agressive as the clown fish, almost

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Pinrod Urkish

It probly helped that I got my dragonet  as my first fish so she didn't have to compete for food. Not now she's almost as agressive as the clown fish, almost

Since when is a clown fish agressive??

Clownfish are "aggressive" eaters...mine stays at the top while I feed the tank and snatches anything and everything that fits in its mouth. It has even managed to snatch food from a peppermint shrimp, and peppermint shrimp are NOT bashful or timid when it comes to eating.

RN

Pinrod Urkish

My perc has this cool rock as it's host, abd shares it with the cleaner wrasse, best of buds but feeding brings out the worst in fish, except my dragonett, which isn't what this thread is about. I wonder how many other folks have funny feeding tales?

OscarGuyGoneNano

I think the trick to dragonetts eating prepared food is luck more than anything. I've seen some that won’t touch anything prepared then there are freaks like mine that I have seen eating flake. It just depends on the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I rescued 2 starving mandarins from an LFS a while ago (with the stipulation that I'd only hold on to the mandarins until they grew more copepods in their display tank).

The male died immediately overnight (he was lying on the substrate to begin with), and the female was fed on newly hatched baby brine to try and save her. She eventually took to cyclopeeze.

These weren't the spotted mandarins, which, supposedly, take to dead foods easier.

Anyway, the bottom line is, the cyclopeeze /sustained/ her, but she simply wasn't eating /enough/ of it. She was still just as skinny when she got back to the LFS about 3 months later, but at least she was /alive/.

So my opinion -- mandarins NEED live copepods. Dead food should be considered a supplement.

If you're having success feeding your mandarin frozen, that's great, but /please please please/ make sure they get some good 'ol live copepods at least once in a while. Or use frozen as a supplement. Mandarins eating frozen are the exception, not the rule.

-Jennifer

Pinrod Urkish

Wow a responsible reefer. I like it. Well Jen of the Reef (that's your new name) I lied I do have live rock and cerpula. I have it set up like a shield for copods so they may increase w/o disturbance. Every so often I catch a glimpse of my mandarin catching a pod and when I clean out my filters I find more. But that being said for your benifit, the Marine cuisine is full of little shrimpies that same size as pods and the rest is eyeballs from other sea creatures (the eyeball has the most protein). So what you wonder? me too?

Well I had this Idea for a ten gallon tank: live sand and rubble liverock covering the entire bottom (plus some more for aquascaping) then instead of corals fill the tanks with different kinds of algae. Then use a plant bulb instead of accentics. A little power head then throw in a blue Mandarin. Think it would work? Just a thought

Would a mandarin eat freshly hatched peppermint shrimp or cerith snail larvae? I think they're about the size of pods and fairly easy to catch.

RN

Pinrod Urkish

Sounds too complicated, I've heard about of all these freshly hatched this and that, but it all sounded too complicated. Go with the Marine Cuisine, nothings easier to catch than dead squid n' shrimp meel.

Pinrod Urkish

Some where on ReefCentral.com theres and article about this person who has like four Mandarins in a 100 gal tnak that eat pellets. I tried to find the link but to no avail. Could some one verify for me?

seacrop has something called seapods. It bottled copepods for your mandarins and refugium. It's $20 a bottle, but it should get things started.

Archived