ReefCleaners.org

Dragonnet Feeding

Pinrod Urkish

Pinrod Urkish

Flame me if you want, but I think I have found the trick to feeding dragonnets. I've dared the odds gotten three dragonets to eat prepared food. If that isn't cruel enough my tank is a ten gallon with 7lbs of live rock and a few hermit crabs. How long have I been doing this? About a year. I purposly buy the scranny ones because I figure that the'll be too starved to care what they eat. The trick? Let's just say it involves Marine Cuisine and patience.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mine was not skinny at all and it ate prepared foods no problem..i had it in my nano 12 with 60% of the tank rock, and it ate brine soaked in selcon real well, and is now in my 50t and is really healthy...It really helped that I got a pod culture growing quick though...Good luck though, they are great and look awesome!!

No flames here, only questions?

Now that you have begun this thread don't tell me you are going to stop at marine cuisine and patience and not share your secret with the rest of us.

If you have a basically foolproof way to get them to eat prepared foods I am all ears.

Pinrod Urkish

Yea I also get all my fish small like the one in the picture was bought at .5" seems that the small skinny fish turn to prepared food quicker. And aquaqwolf, have you looked at the content in MarineC.? It's like the whole ocean puree'd and frozen into cubes.

Really I guess i've been lucky

LOL! There you have it, I am still a newbie at this and didn't know MarineC was a brand of food. I thought it might be a special mix you made up yourself or something. :0

seriously though, whatever happened to that dude who worked at a lfs and "trained" mandarins to take prepared foods. I remember he was gonna/did sell them on here.

Any new info or anyone else having success at feeding mandarins prepared food? I recently was told mandarins will eat Cyclo-pleez (however you spell it) but have been far too timid to try it on my own and risk the life of a fish.

RN

I kept a spotted for more than 3 years and it ate frozen. It would eat anything I dropped in, I got it down to the bottom with a turkey baster.

I lost this fish because the guard on my PH came off the night I returned from vacation, that was the first thing I check walking through the door and I woke up to that. It sucked!

This happened 2 weeks or so ago.

MarineC is practically the same thing as cyclo, it seems... I had a mandarin in TX and would love a replacement if I could get a nice one. Mine ate blood worms (gave it a shot after the beta died) and frozen mysis w/ no problems. He was fat until the day I left him and was always on the prowl looking for pods. Just a fun fact for you all... Go to your tank late at night w/ a flashlight... Or whenever your tank's night-time is... Find where your mandarin is... It will have its colors faded and look dead. Scary the first time, but really quite funny to see. I always got a kick out of it... Oh yeah... My mandarin was the standard blue one, not the psychadelic green/red. ;) Came from liveaquaria, too. ;)

I tried the bloodworm thing with little success...I guess i got lucky as I never had to "train" my fish...I did however, feed the tank with a turkey baster, and I would direct foods to the area of the mandarin after shooting some in another area so my clown and others wouldn't hog up the food...I target fed everything in the nano, but just don't have the time now in my 50...I do shoot some foods into the inlet of my pump for my 50t to distribute foods alot quicker and and better...That thing shoots foods everywhere!!!

Archived