inTank Media Baskets

Fish's 2gal starfire cube. Pictures inside.

ninjafish

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am headed into work later today to get some pictures and take some better video footage. I hope to post it tonight!

- Chad

Thanks deacon,

I keep telling myself this but I think that I am almost finished with the tank. I am trying to swing a deal to get a larger cannister filter to replace this one. Also, when I move the tank home and can guarantee a constant feeding schedule, I will add another couple sexy shrimp and a clown goby. Then it will just be a matter of letting things grow up...

- Chad

deacon hemp

Fish im in the process of building a tank from scratch and was wondering where did u get the starfire from?,and is it super pricey? I'm most likely to go acrylic but i like the fact u can scrape it w/o worries.

I was just wondering if there was a specific reason you ran the lighting through the top of the filter. was wondering if I could just drill a hole is the side of the canister and tread the lighting through there.

Originally posted by deacon hemp

Fish im in the process of building a tank from scratch and was wondering where did u get the starfire from?,and is it super pricey? I'm most likely to go acrylic but i like the fact u can scrape it w/o worries.

I had Inter American put the tank together for me becuase they are located really close to me. I gave the measurments that I wanted and they did the cutting and glueing and drilling. Cost me $50Can. That's what... $4.75US? :P

- Chad

Originally posted by dark8nge1

I was just wondering if there was a specific reason you ran the lighting through the top of the filter.   was wondering if I could just drill a hole is the side of the canister and tread the lighting through there.

I didn't drill through the side because the media compartments need to slide in and out and so I would only have been able to drill in the bottom inch or so. Also the plastic that the bottom is made out of seems like more of a brittle, drill-me-and-i'll-crack sort of plastic. I just found a safe spot in the top and drilled it so that the cord came out the side where the indentation for the handle is, so it only went through a very thin piece as opposed to drilling through the entire top. HTmakessence.

And thanks Travis!

- Chad

My buddy hooked me up with an ftp site and helped me post a better quality video. I found that it worked best if I opened it in windows media player (not the browser) and used the skin mode to stretch it out to a decent size. (I hope that makes sense).

And yes, I know the music is lame but I don't have anything that went with the "nano theme" as well as this. Enjoy!

http://www.102tech.com/fish/PicoMovie.wmv

- Chad

Thanks. I am not interested in my sps growing quickly (infact slow would be fine in a tank this size) however I am really surprised at the growth I've been getting. My digitata are all sprouting little branches! I dont suppliment anything. I use a decent salt (Tropic Marine) and do a 15% water change every week. In my opinion, dosing a tank this small would do more harm than good. Oh, and this 20k bulb gives everything the perfect color. Cheers!

- Chad

I opened up my cannister during my water change today and was shocked to find that one of my 5w submersible bulbs has burnt out. It doesn't seem to have made a difference, the chaeto has growth to take up the entire compartment and I had to throw away a couple handfuls of it.

- Chad

• 2 weeks later...

Fish

I like it

What I do not see in the pics or the video is the filtration in operation.

Is this something you do off and on?

I want to make one like this but that is the question---the filter.

Thanks

Fish

I like it

What I do not see in the pics or the video is the filtration in operation.

Is this something you do off and on?

I want to make one like this but that is the question---the filter.

Thanks

Thanks for your interest! In a way, the fact that you can;t see the filtration working is the whole point of the tank ;) . I should have taken better shots of it in the video but the cannister is tucked behind the auto-topoff and to the left of it. I leave it running 24/7 and only stop it once a month, long enough to clean out the bottom and prune the chaeto. The rippling water that you saw in the video is the result of the current generated be the filter. HTH.

Cheers!

- Chad

Archived