SaltCritters.com

Fire sale (literally)..everything has to go...please read

fish04

I have spoken to some one, but now that I have taken it apart and found two wires melted, I am more suspicious. I think it is a ballast failure, based on the fact that if it was a short it probably would have occurred on one wire not two. I will make another call tonight and let you know how it goes.

I just spoke with the individual that sold me the setup, they couldn't understand how the two wires would actually melt like that. It seemed odd to him that two wires would fail simultaneously like that. He didn't seem to think it was the balast failing since ballasts are fused, but he agreed to take it back and look into the problem. I don't know what else would have caused two wires to overload at the same time except for the ballast but.....I'll let you know what I find out post mortem.

the moral of the story is kids dont use acrylic tanks with high lighting haha:P :D that suck tho that you have to dismantle your tank and sell it have you thought about shipping yet?,Chris

hmm I had a smoking experience once, I wrapped electrical tape around the wire nuts on my 32w pcs for added protection from moisture.....well the wires slipped down halfway out of the nut and actually started melting the tape, i smelled something weird and saw little plumes of smoke coming out of my tank and freaked out. I re-nutted the wires together and took the tape off......no problems with smoke or heat since then (i've been watching closely). Should the wires be hot enough to slightly melt electrical tape? The wire nuts are fine.....

Should the wires be hot enough to melt electrical tape over time?

NO SIR!!! Insulated wiring should not even feel warm to touch in this type of application.

even the exposed rawmetal wire that had slipped out from the wire nut and was touching the tape isn't supposed to be hot? I hope it's just that I was using old crappy electrical tape (kinda flimsy and gooey). Damn now i'm scared to go to work tonight with my lights on (laughing nervously)

Everything is gone....didn't get the amount I wanted for all of it, but they are all in good homes now. My son is happy because the money I got from all of it went into his Thomas the Train table setup! I did keep a substantial amount of the tank. All the low light stuff went into my son's Eclipse6. They will do fine there, I've had shrooms and polyps in one before with no lighting mods and they do well (they don't grow but they sustain). Any how...I have read all the posts, and I think some people are missing the points (even though I have belabored the points).

These were the problems:

1. The wires WERE carefully installed with 3M wire connectors, NOT wire nuts.

2. TWO wires failed out of three!

3. There was no salt creep/ water seepage at the connection points

4. The entire sytem was insulated with water proof electrical tape

So.... this was some type of short that caused multiple wires to fail, the manufacturer has agreed to take a look at the ballast and setup. I do not feel that it is appropriate at this time to give out the manufacturers name (if they don't give me a good answer I will be glad to share their name in the future). My concern isn't so much for the individuals that are careful, wire to the best of their ability, and follow directions. My concern is for all of those people who have shoddy setups they built themselves out of the lights of america ballasts (not meant for modification), and screw in bulbs! I know that you are out there, beacuse I have spoke to you in the past! Actually.... I urge everyone to inspect your lighting completely once a month! You never know!

Thanks for all the help in this problem, I'll continue to post updates as they become available.

Oh... and the question about heat in electrical wires...

Ther should be ZERO heat produced in wires unless they are overloaded. The wires that are used for this type of wiring should not get hot, melt, smoke, etc... EVER! Including the amount of heat required to melt tape! Heat is a sign that the wires have too much current going through them (resistance), and this is why I believe my sytem S*&% the bed. The only thing that makes sense is the ballast allowed too much current to pass, extended the capacity of the wires, the wires failed at their weakest point and where resistance was the greatest (the connection), heat built up and caused it to melt and smoke.

Fish you aparently know something about wiring. Good to read it.

I agree 100 % with your last 2 post. Its all conjecture, but I tend to believe it was as you said, a resistance or wire gauge issue.

I seen this one dude use speeker wire fer his... I laughed and said "Ohh this is cute" he was insulted and I left... I told him if he had problems in a few months to call me.

4 months later....Phone rang... (fill in blanks here with yer imagenation) and I proceeded to charge him to rewire it. LMAO.

Stupidity is contagious.... some people need to get Shot.

Sorry to hear your leaving the hobby Fish04. Glad to hear your inhabitants found good homes.

You made some very good comments that alot of people on here should be aware of. Hopefully someone will learn from your misfortune.

Not totally out of the hobby....I retained a few low light pieces that will stay in my son's Eclipse6. I've kept low lights in one before without much trouble. I'll be back in a few years, once we get settled in the new house and I can get my electrician friend to hard wire some lights for me. Until then I'll live vicariously through the rest of you folks, and make my posts from time to time.

Archived