ReefCleaners.org

Rich's 15g nano

xurifle06

After lots of research and many months of work my new 15 g nano is just about ready to come to life. I made a stand and canopy out of oak to save money. The lighting will be a 70w 10k metal halide with 32 watts pc actinic, there will also be a set of diy moonlight got from kmart. the hood is cooled by 2 80mm computer fans. Two maxi jet 600's will provide circulation and a red sea prizm deluxe will do the skimming. I plan to add a fuge in the near future. well lets cut to the chase and get to the pics.

damn that thing looks NICE!

might be a silly question but, are the sides of the canopy drilled for the fans? the top pix show them as undrilled; so i'm not 100% sure if the final product after staining has holes. that setup has got to be one of the cleanest i've ever seen, make sure u stock it wisely! :)

yes thes sides of the hood are drilled. il probably try some low light sps and a clam eventually. i ordered 20 lbs of nano live rock from premium aquatics today and will probably use about 20 lbs fiji pink sand. im having a hard time deciding what kind of fish to put into it. any suggestions are welcome. will post more pics when i have updates

Thanks for all the compliments. I was just informed today that Premium Aquatics was out of nano rock. they wont have it in until monday. at that point it will be uncured. im unsure if i should just have it sent uncured or wait until it cures. let me know what you suggest. thanks a lot

i'd send it uncured, because it will probably have to recure after the shipping...

Hey I have a new 15 Gal, and I was wondering how much you paid for that skimmer and where you got it?

Sweet Stand, same question as before, how much did the wood cost, I could build it, but the prices of oak around here went through the roof.

Hey BJK2 i think i paid 87 for the skimmer from aquatic technologies, which is near cleveland OH. this is their website;

http://www.aquatictech.com/

As for the cost of the oak, im not sure my parents had some extra lying around from some prior construction projects. the frame is made of 2x2 pieces and the hood is made out of 3/4 solid oak board. i hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions.

looks good, interested in photos when you have rock and water. I would also like to know what type of coverage you get with the 70w, about how far is it mounted from the water surface?

Jerome

the light is mounted about 5.5 inches from the surface of the aquarium. ive put the light on and seem to get coverage across the whole tank. i should be getting rock next week from PA. il tray and take a pic of the coverage of the light today. thanks for all comments.

That's looking fantastic--great job on the stand and canopy...do you plan on putting cabinets to cover the shelves or are you going to leave it open like that? Would be nice if you covered it--the clutter can be distracting from your soon-to-be-even-more-beautiful tank :)

i eventually will i didnt have enough time when i was home on break to make them. Live rock should be here tuesday. thanks again for all the comments

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

looks wonderful.. if you plan to add a fuge do it now!!! i can't stress it enough... obviously in a tank that small you will want to drill it to keep the equipment clutter down... so go ahead and buy a bulkhead, drill the tank and then put a plug in the bulkhead for now... trust me... you will want to do this before you get it filled with inhabitants, LR, sand, and especially water... the whole job might cost $20 at a hole-in-the wall glass shop... 10 for drill 10 for bulkhead and plug... trust me!!! do it now... lol

also be carefull not to use too much LR... for the money you would spend on all that LR you could buy coral frags on rocks and fill the same space...but rather that rock you'll have coral!!! i made that mistake with my 18 Gal (link below) ... also check out the 20l page for some looks at the plumbing foe our 20L fuge

The kind of fuge i was looking at was like a converted AC300. im a college student (junior) and need something i can sorta transport easily. I was oringinally planning on plumbing a seperate fuge but i figured it would be much harder to transport. thanks for all the comments

Archived