Coral Vue Hydros

Uchiha's Frogfish

Sushi

Frogfish = Angler... cool lil fellas

i recently got my hands on one of these predatory fish from a local reefer... they're quite cool, and amazing to watch.

my angler is currently residing in my nano-cube (12g) by itself (aside from a few snails & algae hermits). it's fairly new, under 2 days old in my care, and already eating healthily. it doesn't swim all that much so i think the size of the tank is appropriate for this type of fish... just gotta keep up w/h20 quality in smaller tanks. if time & money permit, i will probably upgrade his home into my Via Aqua when i upgrade tanks in the summer... but that's a whole diff. story :)

care consists of: feeding shrimp/krill every 2-3 days, and 1 LIVE fish (damsels/chromis) once every week (might sound cruel but this is how life works, there is a food chain!)

i also upped the amount & frequency of H20 changes since i'm running the nano-cube skimmer-less. i do about 15-20% h20 change weekly now instead of 10-15% every 1 - 2 weeks.

anyways, that's enough talk, here are some pix of my black "tiger" angler... (not sure of a scientific name yet)

morning shot ... posing in front of my GSP!

btw, my GSP used to look like this (july of 04):

attachment.php?s=&postid=314035

he's kinda hard to see, but not totally invisible :P btw, the GSP has grown nicely, i should take pix of it extended! it's being ####y in the morning zzz

well that's it for pix, just wanted to share this lil guy w/ya, dont have a name for it yet, but i'm sure i'll think of something later...

also, if i'm not mistaken, i think these lil fish don't get any larger than a size of a softball, but out in the wild they can reach 20-25cm (maximum)... in the aquarium i believe they range from 3-5''

anyways, a fascinating fish! definitely something you don't see everyday (until you buy one!)... i believe they have the fastest "gulp" in the underwater world!

i think those would be "deep sea anglers" ... this specific one is found within a couple meters (i think ~5-10m) below the surface of the sea, while the others are found much deeper, couple thousand meters deep (2000m-3000m? not exactly sure).

this specific angler wiggles a "tan/cream colored" lure that looks exactly like a "V" shaped worm. it uses this, plus a chemical from their bodies to attract prey...

nope... i tossed one in yesterday night, and i woke up to 1 fat froggy and a MIA damsel. i have seen him eat ghost shrimp though... literally inhales them off the rocks/sand, gone faster than i can blink my eyes :P

you might want to try feeding him frozen silver sides off a tong or grabber.

I have never heard of a angler or frog fish ever needing to be fed damsles....

and even though i hate damsles like no tomarrow and would love to see em get eaten, seems like that would get pricey

Hey Uchiha those Frogfish actually eat fish? COOL. I have to get one of those so it can get rid of that damsel I have, haha. That would be cool to see dude.

Angel Higuera

Those angler's a sweet. Pricy though-usually over $40.00 and kinda hard to find. I might be wrong but I''ve heard the black anglers get rather big.

I really want one for my tank too. Im so tired of the same ol-same-ol types of fish for nanos.

Here's a link for a dwarf angler, I posted this link before but i'll do it again cuz it's so cool.

http://www.grimreefers.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=2805

-Angel

Archived