SaltCritters.com

New Frogspawn

Green-Day711

i just bought a nice piece of Frogspawn from a LFS. It has 5 really beautiful stalks on it and i was wondering if i got a good price for it. i payed $90. Did i get ripped off? thanks!

I got one head for $25 which had awesome color, so maybe the 5 heads was worth it. It all depends on coloration of the froggy. Size also makes up for some too. You could always frag it and sell it for money to even the cost?

what area are you in green day??? As they say here in Cali...Location, Location, Location....if you are not in CA. you can expect to pay alot more due to handling and so on....

i just bought a single head for 20 and the guy acted like it was a great deal, i dont know his prices are high anyway but i think you got an ok deal, frag it and make some back

WOW! That thing is big. If I were you I would move everything anywhere closer to that thing. It looks alot like my torch......A little bit bigger. When that thing opens its going to take up over 1/3 of your entire tank. I am thinking closer to half of the tank. Mine takes up alot of space, but it looks real cool and is my favorite!

ya, the guy at the LFS didnt even realize how big it was until he took it out of the tank. Does anyone know about how long it will take to open fully?

oh ya, everything else is pretty far away from it except some zoos but they are by the end of the end of the stalks in the back so all should be ok.

It should fully open in the next day or two. Prehaps you should use a dremel tool and separate a couple of the stalks. Then place them around the tank or sell a couple of the branches for 20-25 a pop. Are you counting the lowest branch in the picture as 2 heads or is that the fifth one I see in the back?

well so far it hasnt opened much more so im a little concerned. I am getting a 150w MH pendent soon and i ordered a more specific test kit (iodine, phosphate, etc) so hopefully ill figure out the problem.

I still dont think that it has totally opened up, it seemed so much more extended at in the LFS tank but i can see the center. I'm so confused. Will it open anymore if you can see the center?

I'm noticing a little retraction of the mantle in the pictures you posted. The 'skirt' of the coral should cover about an inch of the stalk or more in a healthy frogspawn. If you see calcareous skeleton, or recession of the coral to the point where only the middle of it looks alive, there maybe a problem in your tank.

My personal observation of my frogspawn is that: It has 5 heads. Two of them are in very high flow, the other 3 are in areas of medium flow. The heads that are in high flow show some recession of flesh. I don't know what kind of flow you have in your nanocube. I wouldn't think that the stock pump would be strong enough to cause damage, then again I see the nozzle to what appears to be a powerhead in the left corner.

I'm also not an expert in LPS's. However, if all else checks, try maybe cutting down on the flow that 's directed at the frogspawn. Sometimes hammers, bubbles and spawn will fail to open completely if the flow is too strong.

Archived