Top Shelf Aquatics

Mandarinfish and Brine Shrimp

greatreef16

Meercat_Maric

Hmm, never had the experieince myself never owning a mandarine. Though I know that the training of lion fish to eat dead prey is possible so it can't be too far beyond that to get a mandarine to eat brine.

I would say 90% of manarin's will eat live brine. you still have to make sure they get it though.

I had to turn off all the pumps and use a 3 foot hard tube and a syringe to spray it right in his face and he would only get about 1/4 of it.

major pain in the butt fish to feed. If you dont have a good enough pod population in your tank save yourself the effort and dont get one.

You're gonna run into the problem of him actually getting enough of the brine to survive, let alone the fact that brine shrimp have 0% of the nutritional value that they get from their food in the wild.

The fish eat constantly, so your normal feeding of 1 to 2 times a day would not be sufficient. Even if you were feeding the tank 5 - 6 times a day it probably wouldn't even be enough.

I've had my Mandarin for about 7 months now. He now feeds off of left over Formula 1 fish food that falls to the ground, thats how I've been feeding him starting a month back.

BEFORE that I never really fed him, he just sorta swam around and pecked between the rock and sand, I'm guessing he ate copeopods and what not coz he's FAT at the moment.

Thats my 2 cents!

BTW: I have a 20 gallon fuge, 1 inch of mud and about 10 pounds of live rock rubble. Razor Calupera and Chaeto, I can't even count how many critters and stuff I got growing in that sucker!

How many gallons is your main tank? how many lb of LR in your main tank? and "fat" is subjective. Please show us pics of your fat mandarin in your main tank.

According to the following post (and all of your other posts), you first introduced the mandarin into your tank around 10-19-04 before you even had chaeto and fuge substrate/mud: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...1353#post361353

I don't see how Oct 19-Dec. 29 = "about 7 months" And correct me if I'm mistaken plz.

So, please be careful not to give ppl false hopes...that will only lead to more mandarins dying needlessly.

Fish take longer than just a few weeks to totally starve to death. So you are not out of the red zone yet.

And I'm sorry for "calling you out." It just worries me when ppl base very important decisions on mischaracterizations of the facts or a simple miscalculations or recollections of details.

Okay first off, I've had a reef tank for alot longer then a year, recently my tank CRASHED and I had all my fish including the lil mandarin inside of my bosses 55 long. So I've had this mandarain for quite a while, when I say I put the mandarin in the tank in my old post, doesn't mean I BOUGHT him that day.

Okay. whatever you say, bud. A mandarin in your possession for 2-3 months while it was in your BOSS'S tank for a year or so STILL does not equal "about 7 months" under your care.

And you've had a reef tank a lot longer than a year, huh? According to this post you only had LR and planned to add polyps later, and this was stated on 7-12-04 (a tank w/ just LR and some fish is NOT a reef; it's a FOWLR): http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=35077

The following is your own post on 7-12-04:

Originally posted by HeyImEugene

I just ordered a 28w PowerCompact from Coralife for 34.95 + shipping... just curious.. will it be enough for a 10 gallon? I just have some live rocks and plan on adding some polyps and stuff later. Maybe an anenome too... need some input please, thanks.

And if you don't know about appropriate lighting on 7-12-04, I seriously doubt you had much of a reef before then. And your boss's, cousin's, or even gf's tank is not your reef tank. The more you defend yourself, the more you look like you're reaching. so just quit while you can.

brine shrimp actually does have nutrition, as long as you get it to them with their sacs still on, and they will go crazy to get em :)

i have a mandarin as well, but it is in my 60 and it is a matured reef with a large fuge so its a no brainer there, but i dont have the balls to try it in a 20gal, but have seen in done in a 30 (with 70lbs of lr)

correct, but really only the babys with sacs, but not most people are willing to culture them to be able to get it to their fish in time, but yes you are right frozen and reg. brine is basicly *junk food*

Woulden't Buying a pod raising kit and growing them to feed your mandarine be easier and give more nutrient than going through the hassle of feeding it by hand? nobody ever offers up this option to people who want to keep these fish. the kits are pretty cheap if i remember correct

Archived