Top Shelf Aquatics

NaNO ReeFiNS' 10 GaL. TaNK

NaNO ReeFiN

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's it for my updated photos. (Sorry the tank was soo dirty.. I haven't cleaned it in over a week..) But as you can see compared to my older photos, everything in my tanks been growing very well and thriving. The grape caulerpa that printerdown gave me (which was about 3 strands) has totally taken over the fuge which is cool and the Piccolo skimmer that ross suggested is working very well. (Who the hell needs to spend over 100 bucks for a good skimmer..? I sure don't.. haha) Well, any comments, suggestions, or questions are always welcome.. and thanks for checkin' out my photos! :happy:

hey bro lookin great im actually setting up a 20 h for my girl friend and it will be based on your design i had an old eco system filter laying around that a customer gave me at the shop i work at and we carry Piccolo skimmers but i might be adding a bac pac 2r just beacuse i get them cheap 100 bucks even he he eh one of the many percs of working at the local fish store.tank looks good man keep up the good work

cam

Nano Reefer,

Do you know you have one hell of a tank ! !

I will be setting up my tank pretty soon and so I have few questions for you ...

-What are the specs of your tank? Your website isn't working...

-Where did you get the lighting? Is it PC?

-How to go about setting up a refugium? First of all why do we need a refugium? Is it a required or optional with nano reefing. Please excuse me as I am novice and reseraching it...

I will really appreciate your response.

Cheers

--Vish

the main tank lighting is a 2x32W CSL power compact system. i believe he ordered it from flying fish express but search around cuz the best prices are always changing. the refugium is lit by a single 13W PC-Jalli hood. and the refugium is built by CPR and its called the aquafuge-three models. basically a refugium provides an area, away from the main tank in this case, to culture macroalgaes, for nutrient export, and copepods and other beneficial fauna-that frequently blow into the tank-fed by gravity-providing a natural and nutritious snack. in a refugium reproductive populations of critters are maintained and protected from the predation of fish, crabs, etc. not required in nano reefing but many people are beginning to appreciate the benefits of balanced systems and natural filtration-so expect refugiums to become an even bigger thing. HTH!

~TG

Originally posted by Vish

-How to go about setting up a refugium? First of all why do we need a refugium? Is it a required or optional with nano reefing. Please excuse me as I am novice and reseraching it...

There are litteraly hundreds of ways to set up a refugium. They are definatly NOT required. It seems like the only thing that is required is salt and water.

ok picked up my lil skimmer i was just wonderin is there a certan hight it needs to be at to collect foam if so what hight works best

cam barr

You'll need to just experiment with it. The weaker your pump is, the lower you'll need to set the skimmer below the water line.

Although my pump is really LOUD, it's strong, so I've got my airstone set about an inch under the water with great results.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Maaan NOW Im really depressed!!!

Thats one sweet lil tank!!!

Me and algea are going at it...

Just came from the lfs and the guy there looked quite annoyed with some of my A's to his Q's... So I picked up a tap water purifier for 49.99 (did I Pay too much?) since i had a credit.

And Im convinced Im getting a fuge but they had the eco system 40 for 299. plus 8.25 tax... If I had the cash I would have it now but luckily I didnt!

So my "Q" to all the reef gurus...

upgraded from 20 to 36gal non drilled BF and with the new 35 lbs L/R expected next week, How should I proceed with water change and L/R acclimation?

• 3 months later...

NaNO ReeFiN ... Seeing that you are using the 18" CPR refugium, is there any chance your 10g tank will overflow when there is a power outage?

From what I gather from CPR's website, the refugium will drain until the water level in the refugium equals that of the main tank.

Do you have to keep your main tank water level lower than the tank's top plasic trim/brace?

NaNO ReeFiN

The aquafuge, if the electricity does go out, only the water in the last chamber of the fuge will siphon back into the tank. I keep my water level pretty high (water level touches the tanks plastic trim/brace) in my 10 gal. but when the extra water from the fuge flows into the main tank during a power outage, it brings the water level in my 10 gal. to the very top but it DOESN'T overflow.

The water level in the refugium does not drain until it equals that of the main tank.

I'm currently setting up a reef ready 29 gal. with a 16 gal. sump. Everything you see except for the corals/livestock will probably be up for sale in the near future..

Archived