Cultivated Reef

My 70w 20K Aqualine/Highhorse Nanocube

ccjung

yep, thats what it originally was for, ballast box.

I think i saw a post of yours with a half cylinder glass or acrylic. Thats what I was referring to.

Chris

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry for the confusion. the above picture has nothing to do with the uv glass. the uv glass came from a different 300w halogen (not regent). you know... one of those halogen torche floor lamps

is nanocustoms going to stock 70w supplies soon? ;)

i got it over my personal tank right now, man... the shimmer is amazing because i have lots of surface agitation..

Adin do you know if you can post videos? I have a tank video showing the shimmer..

the best thing you can do is host it on your personal webspace and then paste the url. if you want it to load in the thread, your only option is converting the video file to an animated *.gif and then insert it with

Hey Chris, if you pull this off I'd be interested in buying it for my 12 Nano..

What kind of corals can a 70w MH support? High intensity corals can survive under this? I live by L.A. too so I can pick up if needed but I'm really interested in how your testing turns out. Please let me know.

So far Nanocustoms WILL NOT be marketing this as a "kit" its not safe enough for the general public, and must be performed at your own risk..

I will be offering parts for DIY though, so stay tuned...

Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Chris,

It amazes me, how far you have come with lighting for a JBJ nano cube. It even amazes me beyond believe that a MH could be placed in a cube.

I give you props for that, but I commend you on the note that you would not risk such power on to consumers like us, with a product that is not ready for nanocustoms.

I know the time will come but patience will lead to safety and thus greater success to your company.

Remember Juarassic Park, Malcom said, you borrowed from others to get what you wanted and you didn't acquire the knowledge yourselfs so you will not accept blame for failure of such creation. It's like wielding a powerful weapon that gets slapped on the table as completed, yet it's not ready for the consumer.

With engineering comes great respondsibility in what you design. I'm glad someone gave you the gift of both enginnering and laws that govern the safety of what you create.

Mike (nanocustoms devoted customer)

Originally posted by mikeguerrero

remember Juarassic Park, Malcom said, you borrowed from others to get what you wanted and you didn't acquire the knowledge yourselfs so you will not accept blame for failure of such creation.  It's like wielding a powerful weapon that gets slapped on the table as completed, yet it's not ready for the consumer.  

Dude I give you props for being able to Quote Jurrasic park. I only remember there was like an island and ugly ford explorers. oh and really big reptiles.

mh in the cube wow amazing.:*(

Thanks Chris, I will deal with my stocks for now--until it IS ready...because I'm kind of stupid when it comes to DIY's...wouldn't know where to begin.

Update: The in canopy temps are stable, but the in tank temps are what concern me.. I have had my house at 77F and the temps are in the 83-84 range. This is still better than the Stock DX, but I have to get some extra cooling in.. When the heater(apt) is off, my tank is cruising at 76-78.

yeah, IMHO the real factor is the ambient temp becuase your tank is going to stabilize at that temp. The lights, regardless of MH or PC will add energy, raising the temps more..

I think 7 Above ambient for a 70w MH isnt too bad considering the stock cube (2004) was running that temp in late summer 2004..

Chris

to alleviate some temperature build ups in the hood... (which is obviously causing high temps in the tank), i would suggest you probably drill a couple more ventilation holes at strategic places to help with air exchange. if you get enough holes to exhaust the air i'm sure you will have no problems lowering the temperature maybe around 2-3 degrees if done efficiently. i hope that makes sense...

yep.. I the main heat is from the convection zone (area of air between splashguard and water). Im going to do the same mod to the fan cover as i did in my 116w mod.. I am concerned about salt creep so I am also investigating other methods..

Thanks for the input

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really interested in getting a cube from you chris, and performing this DIY if at all possible. I've a 7" maxima that I just don't trust to PC lighting. Can I get the DIY parts through you? Msg me on aim when ya can, my name is massarain. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived