Cultivated Reef

rbta needs light!

Rita Sullivan

Still need a reflector and canopy with that kit. If Rita didn't need new lighting ASAP, I'd suggest waiting until January when the 150w HQI + 2X18w PC all-in-one from www.aquatraders.com comes out. ($199) That's actually what I'm seriously considering putting over my new setup when I move (that or going large enough to justify slapping the old 400w over).

Cheers,

Fred

Originally posted by ccjung

Thats what I hate about LFS. THey will tell you anything to sell their product, knowing if it dies, you'll still come back.. Its not right..

Thank god I got the reverse, a LFS that told me the truth, and that not more than zoos, shrooms can be in the original nanocube..

Chris

I've had a condy in my cube for 3 months, no problems with him and he looks healthy as ever. Totally stock lighting.

Tigah,

you didn't know about aquatraders?!! There's a huge link on it in the Vendor/Trader feedback section. I figured with how often you're on here, you'd have already ordered from them..lol

Cheers,

Fred

I've only order thru marinedepot for dry goods since they are local to me, so I never really paid much attention to dry goods vendors. Maybe I should tho. haha.

Rita Sullivan, you said you tried to feed your anenome freeze dried krill? Did your anenome except it? If It did not, I suggest you go get the Formula one in the cube pakage, and try feeding it 25 percent of one cube. It is cheap, and almost sold in any lfs.

Aquatraders.com is a few hours up the coast (I think they're in the Bay area). You'll get your order in the same amount of time (more than likely..lol) and it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Cheers,

Fred

Do they charge for shipping tho? I got my MH from marinedepot b/c they dont charge shipping or tax for orders over $175. I need to get another Aqua Medic Ocean Light for 67g, so glad you showed me this link.

Dunno about shipping..but even if you get hit with a few bucks in shipping..you're still getting 186w of lighting for $199.00..and that isn't bad at all. I know AquaMedic lights are quite a bit more than that..lol

Cheers,

Fred

Rita Sullivan

Chris, Update on RBTA is it seems to be doing well. Light kit came in yesterday. My boyfriend is going to install it for me as I have no idea on how to do such a thing. The RBTA is actually more beautiful yesterday than I have ever seen it. It was huge and tentacles(sp) were full. It has developed a green color close the the base and seems to be getting a little more orange color to it. Eats very well and seems to know when feeding time is. I lost a small mushroom that had detached, it fell into a rock and I had to move the rock the RBTA was on. It decided to move after that, but moved almost back into the same spot only higher in the tank. hopefully this is all good. I appreciate everyone's help in this matter and will keep you updated. It is just beautiful today!

Rita Sullivan

Update on my light situation: My boyfriend installed the 32w retrofit kit I got without any problem. So far, there has been no change in temp. Anemone seems just as happy as before. Whe has been bubbled up big the last few days. eating good and all. So now, I have 56 watts of light in the 12 gallon which with rock and sand is not really 12 anyway. I figure 6-7 watts per gallon. does that seem right? Hope this will be enough untill I can decide on how to go with a bigger tank. thinking somewhere between 40 & 75 gallon. Will move very slow and eventually, when everything is ready, move the clown & anemone into a bigger tank. Will keep ya'll posted on progress and ask questions as I get closer to buying a new tank. Thanks for all the help and info so far.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by FAC_WNY

I'm not all-knowing and unfeeling...but gimme a break.  People think they can get into this hobby on a "wing and a prayer" so to speak.  They don't have the money, the time, or the willingness to provide for creatures dragged halfway across the world.  

If you cannot commit the money, time, and effort required, perhaps you should consider NOT being a part of this hobby.  

If you can commit the money, time, and effort..then by all means..continue to grow and educate yourself (and upgrade your equipment) and have a wonderful time at it.  

As far as fixing the situation...as has previously been suggested..there are two solutions; return the poorly thought out puchase or spend some money and upgrade your lighting.  Those are the choices...please choose one and then read before you make ANOTHER purchase.  Of anything.  Ever.  (This doesn't just apply to livestock, it applies to anything else you ever buy...it boggles my mind that people buy things..anything..and have no real idea of what it requires to operate it)

-Fred

ROFLMAO LOL ROFLCOPTOR LMAO LOL LOL LOL

Get off the high horse.

Man, Fred, seems that you have people chasing your posts to pick fights w/ you. ;)

Rita, I just bought myself a RBTA. Only differnece is, mine is under 250watt of MH in a 20gal Long... : Hopefully yours makes a good comeback. I know I've had LFS's try to pull that same kind of stuff on me many times. That's why I like stores like Jeff's Exotic Fish here in So. Cal. The guys will answer questions if you want, but it's mainly a warehouse and you find someone, tell them to bag a certain thing, and they do it. No questions asked. The LFS closest to me is actually overcautious with newbies. Hehe. The owner was actually trying to talk me out of buying to true percs. a couple days ago because he "couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't fight because clowns typically do." -__- Haha. I told him I appreciated the advice and knew what and why he was saying that (Nemo idiots), but that I was willing to take the chance of the 2 pairing up. And low-and-behold I have 2 clowns currently living in my RBTA. Imagine that. ;) You can always ask questions of the people here if you don't know about a certain type of livestock. There's an incredible amount of info in these forums. ;)

Rita Sullivan

update on my rbta. It stays full open most of the time and has developed beautiful color. almost fluorescent orange with a green base. It is getting much bigger. Seems to like freeze dried krill ok. but will try formula 1 and perhaps frozen krill (whole not diced). I have purchased a new 29g tank, stand and canopy but this will be a slow work in progress. I plan to get the light system fred recommended for the 29 as soon as possible and work on getting a sumpfuge made. Still learning and wondering if a 650 pump would be all the pump I would need. Don't like the look of powerheads in a tank if you can help it. planning on using a scwd as well. Input welcome. thanks

I'd get a bigger pump. since after the scwd and traversing the distance from fuge tank to main display, it will likely be less than 650gph.

Try a 900gph pump and that should be all the flow you need (so no powerheads in tank).

Rita Sullivan

Thanks Tigah, You are always so kind to respond quickly. You are much appreciated along with the others who give their time to help those of us who are new to the hobby.

Archived