inTank Media Baskets

rbta needs light!

Rita Sullivan

Rita Sullivan

I have the nanocube and my lfs store told me that would be enough light for a rbta! Now I find that I am starving my poor rbta to death. I can't stand it! Need to get more light on my nanocube. Please somebody tell me how to get enough light for the rbta. I'm not an electrician, I don't know the first thing about electricity other than being able to turn on a light switch. Chris at nanocustoms.com said that even the DX hood might not be enough light. Someone please give me some advice. Want to keep my poor rbta and want it to do well and be happy. thanks in advance

Thats what I hate about LFS. THey will tell you anything to sell their product, knowing if it dies, you'll still come back.. Its not right..

Thank god I got the reverse, a LFS that told me the truth, and that not more than zoos, shrooms can be in the original nanocube..

Chris

There's no "easy" answer/solution I can provide here. With my "anti-nanocube" sentiments aside and w/o going into detail about why I don't like them (one of which is for this problem you see here), all I can suggest is one of 2 options:

1) Get rid of the hood and stock lights...Buy a Metal Halide Pendant w/ HQI Double Ended bulb (either 20K or 10K). Maybe a 75w. Maybe VHO's could work too, but I don't have any experience w/ them. Leave open top and have it suspended above the tank.

2) Give it back to LFS.

Another thing that I would suggest if you plan to keep him is to upgrade your tank to something a bit larger. Lighting and feeding is just one factor, water stability is another. Everything needs to be stable and free of any ammonia, nitrites, etc. Much harder to achieve in smaller tanks where there will be constant fluctuations by just a small presence of fish waste or the effects of evaporation.

In fact, I even sold my RBTA yesterday b/c it was hard to keep the salinity stable since I didn't have an auto top-off and I was adding freshwater (RO/DI) just randomly throughout the day. Sometimes I wouldn't have time to remember and had to add a lot of water to make up for the evaporation at once...I immediately saw negative effects in the RBTA. My tank was also getting crowded since I had a lot of other corals, the RBTA wasn't too happy w/ the overcrowding either.

Anemones really need PRISTINE, aged, established tank water to thrive. Your RBTA does look like it is bleaching and it may just not make it in the long-run given the current set-up it is being housed in.

Sorry I couldn't proffer a more "optimisitic" solution...there just really are no quick fixes for keeping RBTA's and other anemones.

To tell you guys the truth, I've never heard of LONG term success of anenomes in Nanos. I am not saying it can't be done, but that keeping an anenome should only be attempted if you are an ADVANCED Reefer. I think you should have a degree in Marine Biology to be able to even buy one of these cretures. I've seen to many dead anenomes because of LFS just selling a "product" to new reefers who havn't a clue as how to take care of it.

Hmmm...as to the first statement about long-term success in nanos...well..that's bogus. I know of several that have survived long-term in nanos..including one in a 7 gallon minibow at a local reefer's office. As to the "degree in Marine biology" comment..well..BTA's aren't exactly "difficult to keep" organisms anymore. They do successfully and reproduce in captivity quite readily. I personally don't feel there are many organisms that SHOULDN'T be sold. Some have a lower success rate..but that, in my mind at least, is due in large part to "user errror" like we're seeing here. If you buy an organism and don't have the means to take care of it..well, that's animal abuse, flat out. It's like me going out and buying an Irish Wolfhound when I live in an 800 ft^2 in downtown Buffalo. I should've done my research first before complaining that someone "sold" me an animal I couldn't take care of in the first place. And I don't care how "new" of a reefer you are..you can still read (or at least you can if you're posting on here..lol). So take the time and actually READ the material that's out there...don't come in and whine that a store (who, by definition, are out to make a PROFIT) "sold" you something that YOU couldn't take care of. YOU should know what you can take care of better than anyone else.

Oy vey,

Fred

Rita Sullivan

Fred, Thanks so very much for your very helpful insight. I am trying my best to do what is right for my rbta. I don't have the funds to do what I would like to but will try to do what is right. I took 2 store employees at their word (stupid maybe) and bought something beautiful that I fell in love with. I didn't even know about this site at the time. Maybe next time you can give advice on how to fix the situation instead of being so all knowing and unfeeling!

Make babies, not war. And it's okay, Rita...happens to all of us at one point. Just hard not to take the LFS's word for it. For some it's like trying to reverse years of conditioning to trust others and trying to replace that with a distrust of LFS workers. I still have a hard time just completely distrusting the LFS folks and tuning their advice out. haha. anyways, hope your RBTA situation works out for you. peace!

I'm not all-knowing and unfeeling...but gimme a break. People think they can get into this hobby on a "wing and a prayer" so to speak. They don't have the money, the time, or the willingness to provide for creatures dragged halfway across the world.

If you cannot commit the money, time, and effort required, perhaps you should consider NOT being a part of this hobby.

If you can commit the money, time, and effort..then by all means..continue to grow and educate yourself (and upgrade your equipment) and have a wonderful time at it.

As far as fixing the situation...as has previously been suggested..there are two solutions; return the poorly thought out puchase or spend some money and upgrade your lighting. Those are the choices...please choose one and then read before you make ANOTHER purchase. Of anything. Ever. (This doesn't just apply to livestock, it applies to anything else you ever buy...it boggles my mind that people buy things..anything..and have no real idea of what it requires to operate it)

-Fred

daaang...we don't have to turn this thread into a bunch of adversarial responses. Besides, there's no need for the whole "get out of the hobby" entirely remark....the simple alternative to getting out of the hobby entirely, which you advocate yourself, is to simply take the RBTA back. and i'm not trying to start beef; it's all good. just don't want to unnecessarily scare anyone.

Rita Sullivan

Tigahboy, I appreciate very much your responses. To my post. You seem to know what you are talking about. I have enjoyed this site since I found out about it. As for other responses, out of respect for you and this site I will refrain from saying anything more. I obviously made a mistake when purchasing the rbta. I listened to people that I thought would know what they were talking about. I know I need to upgrade my lights, just don't have $200 to $300 for mh right now. I also want a larger tank in the future. As for taking the rbta back, the lfs will just put it into a tank with no more lighting than I have. It will be no better off unless someone with a perfect system happens in to buy it before it dies. I really do check my water everyday. salinity in the morning and again in the evening. temp stays good always. Nitrates seem a little higher today 20 - 25 but ammonia is 0 or maybe a trace Did a 1 gallon water change yesterday. Use RO water and sea water and check salinity before adding. Don't know how much more careful I can be. I am thinking about the light situation and trying to come up with extra $$. A mh would be good could use it on a larger tank later. Still worried, but working to do what I can. Thanks again

Yep, its good to keep the MH around for a while...

I'd try looking for used stuff.

If you're really looking for something else to add light with inexpensively, go out and but a ten gallon hood with the places for two incandescent bulbs, then replace those with the 50-50 curly Q screw ins. They could help out a bit.

And about BTA's reproducing incaptivity... what you are talking about is asexual reproduction, or splitting. This can be caused by high nutrient levels, improper light, or stress in general. That usually isnt what happens in the wild, where anemones reproduce sexually.

I hope that helps out, Rita.

Rita, I really suggest you get some money together, and buy a MH pendant. A 150 would be a great bit of light...trust me I have a 150 over my Cube as well. They can be had for a great price brand new...look in the lighting section or put up a WTB post. You are going to want a Double ended pendant, as I have found they put out much less heat plus they take up much less room.

I made a mistake buying a rbta on week two, right after cycling the tank. However, I made the right choice to upgrade the lighting in the nano cube, so everything is fine. You will make a couple of mistakes if you don't do some research.

You can check out my website for nanocube light upgrade if you have the regular 12g 24w nano cube.

Try feeding the anenome formula one cubes. Just less than half of a cube every 3 days or so might save him before the light upgrade. I should have a picture of formula one on my website somewhere.

Originally posted by Rita Sullivan

As for taking the rbta back, the lfs will just put it into a tank with no more lighting than I have.  It will be no better off unless someone with a perfect system happens in to buy it before it dies.  

you dont necessarily have to take it to the LFS. try the trade sections of some online sites (like reef central), or your local reef club.

no one else has mentioned it, but i dont know that MH over a nano cube is the best solution for someone who just started this hobby. MH is expensive to run (start saving for your electricity bill!) and could cause heat and evaporation issues. you will probably want an auto top off too.

also if that anenome dies in your tank i assume you know what the consequences are? personally, i wouldnt be taking the risk of losing your whole tank full of inhabitants just to keep the anenome. it is sad to see someone new to the hobby given wrong advice, things going wrong, and then getting discouraged and quitting. dont let it happen to you!

I dont have a camera and i dont plan to buy one. Ive had this anemone for 1 and a half years. I also think it is important that something like a clown fish constantly stimulates the anemone. MY clown fish cleans the anemones poop and bats it with its tail. No, the bubbles are not inflated.

Archived