ReefCleaners.org

Sun Corals

Cesar

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ur sun corals are doin great... sooner or later they're gona grow, and when they do, you won't be disappointed at your "hard work" spot feeding ;)

here's an old pic taken from my nano-cube of my "prized" tubastrea during the night...

attachment.php?s=&postid=321087

Hahaha...no. I was just joking around (as usual). :)

Since you've already fed them...no need. listen to uchiha..he is sun coral master. haha.

They look very happy. I'm glad they finally came out.

Hey Tigahboy if you want I can pick up on of those little ;) things you wanted and you can pick it up at my house dude. I'll be going around 5pm.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

listen to uchiha..he is sun coral master.  haha.

i'm not the master, but i am trying! i learned everything from marlooney, he's the true expert... treats his tubastrea like no other... look at it and u can tell he's got the craziest out there!

044.jpg

he even has little babies!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/Mar...%20Home/109.jpg

now that there is some crazy tubastrea :)

Have you seen Little Shop of Horrors? Sun corals remind me of that plant. Not how they look per se, but how they extend at dinnertime ready for the food. Like orange alien babies demanding to be fed.

So if you overfeed, they'll eventually eat you. :)

hmm, good question about the overfeeding, i don't know the answer to that... i'll try to see what i can find out about that

they don't split to my knowledge, the only way to break them is fragging, or through sexual means ;)

in very mature tanks, a happy sun coral will reproduce by releasing spores that eventually turn into baby sun corals which attach and grow throughout the tank.

Is it a good idea to also feed all my other corals like this? For example the pink zoo's and eagle eye zoo's.

Hey Tigah I was over to get those Zoo's from Todd.

i don't feed my zoo's, i've tried but mine have never been able to grab onto food like a sun coral can. those tentacles are sticky, but the zoo's just kinda get irritated when i try. i let photosynthesis be the main source of energy for my zoanthids.

other corals u can spot feed like this are anything with "sticky tentacles" a few examples are: candy cane, open brain, fungia, blastomussa, other LPS and SPS corals too.

you could target feed your zoo's w/ the "liquid" stuff...but you don't have to do it as diligently IMO. Like no need to make sure every single little polyp/tentacle receives the liquid. I just dose once a week and they seem fine. I loosely target feed them meaning just turkey baste it in their general area. It helps minimize excess dosing as mentioned earlier.

Oh you picked up from Todd? cool..what do they look like?

Man...i was never too partial for the sun coral, but you guys make me wanna get one now. Not too fond of orange tho. Is there a bright red and yellow variant? What about all red?

The eagles from Todd's are coming along. They are not fully out but they are going to be nice. Just like pink zoo's, they look very nice man. I will post a picture as soon as they expand a bit more.

info on candy canes here

there are red variants but they're extremely hard to find...

tigah: u can always try the yellow or black color variants if u dont like orange. IMO the yellow ones look really cool, but not nearly as nice as red colonies

here's a pic of a "full yellow colony" i found on google

00114tub.jpg

i have switched to cyclopeeze with my suncoral and have noticed marked inprovements in the way that they look . I feed them during the day when the lights are on and now most days when the sun coral is hungry they will open up and stay open during the day . my suncoral babies have doubled in size since using the cyclopeeze and the fish in the tank dont seem to steal the cyclopeeze like they did with the brine/mysis shrimp

well just to add on about feeding well you should never just give only zooplex. you need to get more vieraty in their diet get some microvert. or somrthing else to and then switch off. one day zoo next day micro or sumtin like that.

Shrimp X, I was told something like that before, but when i bought my zooplex the LFS guy said "no just use one at a time" But now I know better, hehe

Archived