inTank Media Baskets

Quartine/Hospital Reef in the Bathroom

geekreef_05

geekreef_05

I'm gonna do something I have never done before.

The 6 Gallon LifeGuard Aquatics, Amazon order aquarium:

20240525_174434.thumb.jpg.ec35bcc4a2a1597e77b9a83edd0b2571.jpg

Ive been thinking, I now have a good number of fish in my care. If a fish gets a ill, it would be great to have something running. 

Now also... i have a few lbs of liverock in my basement just in a bucket with a powerhead..and i have a number of parts laying around from the old desktop reef days. So i figured. I dont need much more than a tank, heater and powebar. 

Im gonna go for it.

And yes its gonna be in a bathroom cause thats how that conversation with my wife ended. Lol.

This will probably be a relatively short tank journal. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
anizato

initially i thought the table was a pool and the tank was somehow floating on the pool. 🤣

wive's always have the final say! I see it as a win though, you get to have a second tank!! Now she can't say anything about you taking too long in there 😄

Are you expecting to have trouble or are you going to be adding new fish? 

I was thinking you could also put a filter pad in your reef while you set this up so you can have the bacteria ready to go into the hospital when it's finally setup.

I am curious what you will be doing. 

• Thanks 1
geekreef_05
7 hours ago, anizato said:

initially i thought the table was a pool and the tank was somehow floating on the pool. 🤣

wive's always have the final say! I see it as a win though, you get to have a second tank!! Now she can't say anything about you taking too long in there 😄

Are you expecting to have trouble or are you going to be adding new fish? 

I was thinking you could also put a filter pad in your reef while you set this up so you can have the bacteria ready to go into the hospital when it's finally setup.

I am curious what you will be doing. 

Filter pad is a good idea. I'll see how i can work one into the setup. 

I am not expecting trouble lol. 

But my recent fire shrimp episode in the Office Reef and just watching the latest BRS and Tidal Guards episodes on hyping the importance of quartine, i was inspired to go the extra mile. 

Edit: The fire shrimp completely recovered. But if it was a fish with something contagieous. Ouch. 

I now have both the Office Reef and Den Reef stocked and running well.

Between them i have about 16 fish. I don't expect to get any more, i feel that im very well stocked. Overstocked by rule of thumb numbers, but with fish that fit together well in ecosystem terms. I will only replace my watchman goby that jumped. Otherwise no new additions.

Not alot of fish compared to people with large reefs. But it's enough that im comfortable with a just in-case hopsital tank and quartine. 

Criteria for this reef:

Fully automated. 

Lights optional

Stay under 100 lbs due to location 

Specs so far

Live rock 2pcs

Cured rock, 1 branching peice

Live sand 

Lights? 

Hyggar wavemaker

Amazon ato

Need to buy:

Heater 

Powerbar

Lights?

Filter

R/O solenoid for auto.

I will try to link this right to my RO unit. Completely automated ATO like the Office Reef.

If anyone has a cheap lights idea, let me know. 

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

I‘ve been looking to restart my 6 gallon long haha maybe this is a sign...

For however long this build lasts, I’m pulling for ya buddy! 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
anizato

1 gallon of seawater is roughly 8.6 lb. x6 = 51.6 lb + weight of aquascape, tank and equipment. You should be fine in this regard. 

Is the space comfortable for water changes? Don't hospitals require WC like all the time? (I don't know I've never kept one, genuinely asking)

As for the light, you could just use the light of the bathroom/ambient light. nothing cheaper than that, unless you want something... i found this on amazon https://a.co/d/bGGyya2 $9

• 3 weeks later...

hm, ya, i didnt realize that photo would be confusing! Its just my glass patio table, in my backyard. 

I'll take a photo later today. The tank is in place with liverock, sand a powerhead and heater.  

I did run into a wall using the Hyggar Wavemaker though. It would just shutdown after 2 seconds of use. 

Provided an error code being clogged. Id shake it out, make sure its good freely spinning and it would just happen again in 2 seconds. 

Its possible its not low enough in the aquarium (suppose to be 6" below waterline) but thats not possible in this nano. 

So I replaced it with a MaxiJet 400. Old school. Simple. Reliable. No fuss. 

I still need to: 

Probably remove some sand. 

Setup ATO

Setup RODI solenoid guardian unit. 

I'll post an update later! 

• Like 1