inTank Media Baskets

Chalk Rocks in aquarium?

Nathans_Reef

Nathans_Reef

Im setting up another nano british rockpool aquarium, and would like to use a single small chunk of rock from the beach, something with a bit of life on it to get the tank's ecosystem started. The problem is, most of the rocky beaches around me are at the base of a chalk cliff, so naturally most of the small rocks are made of chalk! They're covered in different algae including coralline, so they dont look like chalk at all and look very natural.

So considering that the majority of the tank inhabitants are going to be used to chalky rockpools, Is it going to be okay to use a chalk based rock in the tank?  

Nathans_Reef
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I have no idea, but I think you should go for it. Rock from the same environment as the livestock sounds like a win to me.

That was what I was thinking too, Thanks! 

On 4/26/2024 at 6:51 AM, Nathans_Reef said:

Im setting up another nano british rockpool aquarium, and would like to use a single small chunk of rock from the beach, something with a bit of life on it to get the tank's ecosystem started. The problem is, most of the rocky beaches around me are at the base of a chalk cliff, so naturally most of the small rocks are made of chalk! They're covered in different algae including coralline, so they dont look like chalk at all and look very natural.

So considering that the majority of the tank inhabitants are going to be used to chalky rockpools, Is it going to be okay to use a chalk based rock in the tank?  

Have you seen the c*** that folks use instead of live rock these days????    😉

Your rock is fine...if it helps, don't think of it as chalk, think of it as old ocean-bottom.  (You're talking "white cliffs of dover" type of rock, right?)

It's very similar to aragonite.

What it might NOT be is porous....so it might work "differently" for denitrification than "regular" live rock that hasn't been compressed.  Chemically it's almost the same tho.

4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Have you seen the c*** that folks use instead of live rock these days????    😉

What rock are you using, can you show some images?

The days of proper live rock are well and truly in the past where I am. Mind you, my last SPS system used man made rock and it turned out reasonably decent so there is yet hope for my new nano. 😁

In respect of the original query I personally would be on the more cautious side of things but others will have more knowledge.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:51 AM, Nathans_Reef said:

Sounds amazing. Cant wait to see how this turns out.

Chalk is like mostly calcium, i think.

Might be beneficial in an aquarium. Certainly the biology on the rock will be! 

Hope you can post progress pictures. Sounds like an awesome project.

5 hours ago, KevMax said:

What rock are you using, can you show some images?

Not sure.  It was sold as Pukani, for what it's worth.  Wasn't for sale long even when it was available, so irrelevant for the OP.

5 hours ago, KevMax said:

The days of proper live rock are well and truly in the past where I am. Mind you, my last SPS system used man made rock and it turned out reasonably decent so there is yet hope for my new nano. 😁

In respect of the original query I personally would be on the more cautious side of things but others will have more knowledge.

Aquacultured rock is the thing these days (vendor and customer photos are plentiful online; see Google).

The OP is talking about calcite-based rock...very similar to aragonite coral skeleton (since it's made from the same seawater components)...even binds phosphate the same way.  In fact...

Aragonite is a polymorph of calcite, a mineral that has the same chemical composition as calcite, but has a slightly different crystal structure. For most purposes aragonite and calcite can be considered to be the same mineral.