Cultivated Reef

Shallow Mangrove Reef - It's Been a Long Time

Giga

Justind823

Awesome, it's good to see you back. Loved you mangrove builds in the past and looking forward to the progress on this one!  Nice choice on the cedar btw

• Like 1
On 4/1/2024 at 2:46 PM, Justind823 said:

Awesome, it's good to see you back. Loved you mangrove builds in the past and looking forward to the progress on this one!  Nice choice on the cedar btw

Thank you - I have limited time now a days as I work long hours sometimes and have kids and a house to manage and stuff - but I got the itch!

On 4/1/2024 at 4:17 PM, ml86743 said:

Thanks!

Sure thing! just make sure you wear a respirator and do any cutting outside - cedar dust can be harmful in large amounts

• Like 1

I'm thinking about order Florida live rock once I get this going and cycled - since this will be more an macro algae/mantis/cool creatures tank, it seems like a perfect fit. I was going to order from these guys as they seem to me the best price/ to my door kind of thing. Anyone order from them before?

https://gulfliverock.com/price-list/ols/products?page=2

also I've been still been busy repotting bonsai so I haven't had much tank time but I plan on finishing the stand and tank this weekend!

My latest Youtube master piece 😅

• Like 1

I've had a really really frustrating weekend where I finished the stand BUT I had to changed things ALOT - I was going to have a single shallow tank and I bought 2 rimless tanks 48x18x12 and they were both cracked! I simply don't have the funds to buy new ones as the LFS and they wouldn't let me return them that I will no longer go there 😠 SOOOOO after I got over that I made a lot of changes and I think I like this better. It's two HCA 12gallon bookshelf aquariums with the top housing black mangroves and the bottom having red and there will be a crazy twist 🙂 the lights are kessil tuna suns

image.thumb.png.b75e2628fe2ded72841d30ca5a8aed95.png

• Like 1
ml86743
2 hours ago, Giga said:

I've had a really really frustrating weekend where I finished the stand BUT I had to changed things ALOT - I was going to have a single shallow tank and I bought 2 rimless tanks 48x18x12 and they were both cracked! I simply don't have the funds to buy new ones as the LFS and they wouldn't let me return them that I will no longer go there 😠 SOOOOO after I got over that I made a lot of changes and I think I like this better. It's two HCA 12gallon bookshelf aquariums with the top housing black mangroves and the bottom having red and there will be a crazy twist 🙂 the lights are kessil tuna suns

image.thumb.png.b75e2628fe2ded72841d30ca5a8aed95.png

This is going to be amazing.  I'm assuming it will all run as one system?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ml86743 said:

This is going to be amazing.  I'm assuming it will all run as one system?

They will each be separate and there will be no sump - just a couple canister filters - This will as simple and minimalist as I can make it.

Justind823

Sorry about the redesign and the broken tanks but I must say, the new concept looks killer! Nice looking stand as well

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Sorry about the redesign and the broken tanks but I must say, the new concept looks killer! Nice looking stand as well

Yeah was really frustrating as I spent like 500$ on both tanks and now I have two not un-useable tank sitting my garage. I was thinking about putting them in my back yard as like an outdoor tank I could catch thing from the ocean but no idea if that's a thing or things would fry in them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 2:01 PM, Giga said:

Yeah was really frustrating as I spent like 500$ on both tanks and now I have two not un-useable tank sitting my garage. I was thinking about putting them in my back yard as like an outdoor tank I could catch thing from the ocean but no idea if that's a thing or things would fry in them.

you could probably make it work if you put up some shade cloth so it wasn’t direct sunlight, and managed evaporation even just with tap water.

new build design looks exciting! 

Both tanks were cracked?  That's insane - still you would think that the company shipping the tanks would file an insurance claim because that's quite a bit of $$ to lose!  And here I am thinking that aquarium shipping has improved.  I ordered a UNS 5N and a 12g bookshelf and both arrived without incident (though I wasn't sure on the 12g - I literally watched the delivery guy drop it pretty hard while getting it down off his truck!!!). 

Sick setup though - I'm all about unique designs and making the best out of changed plans.  I love the 12g bookshelf.  I'm planning to consolidate some tanks and thinking either an IM 25g lagoon tank or the 12g.  I bought both because I still can't decide.  Figure I'll keep whichever tank I don't use in storage and in a year or 2 I can switch 🙂

best of luck in the new tanks I'll follow along for sure.  Does your YouTube have videos of your prior tanks ? I'm sure I've seen them before but the image links are all dead.