ReefCleaners.org

Shallow Mangrove Reef - It's Been a Long Time

Giga

It's been a very long time since I've had a reef tank as a lot has happened since my last tank, the world shut down, lost my dad, had kids, moved twice - it's been pretty crazy. I've been on the fence about starting another tank but I've finally got the itch and I miss have mangroves in my life, so - here I am, back and going to start from scratch (literally) - this will be a lot like my mangrove lagoon from a long time ago. There will be A LOT of customization and I will show every step along the way - so much so that I started a YouTube channel that will have a lot of it. I will also post a ton of pictures here.

Well this has been a long time coming but here is the first part - I'm trying to work as fast as I can but sometimes to get it right you need to take it slow. I'm hoping by the end of April - May it'll be wet and mangroves in there. Tank will be just shy of 40 gallons.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
rimga123

oh how I missed your projects!
Sorry to hear about your dad.

will you start with pods or do you have any mangroves on hand that you think that you will be using?

• Like 1
gastone

New to the forums, but I've been lurking for awhile.  I'm going to start a 28 lowboy in my classroom and I'm thinking of setting it up as a mangrove biotope for next school year.  Can't wait to see where this goes.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rimga123 said:

oh how I missed your projects!
Sorry to hear about your dad.

will you start with pods or do you have any mangroves on hand that you think that you will be using?

These will be already grown mangroves - It will be a solo island scape - should be pretty cool and minimalist 

• Like 1

oh man WHAT you’re back!!

your past mangrove lagoon was a work of art, I am SO excited for this build.

Can we get some teaser photos of your mangroves?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, East1 said:

oh man WHAT you’re back!!

your past mangrove lagoon was a work of art, I am SO excited for this build.

Can we get some teaser photos of your mangroves?

I be back - the forum seems to be not as active as I remember but i'll post none the less. I'll post in do time 🙂 I hope to finish the stand this weekend

22 hours ago, gastone said:

New to the forums, but I've been lurking for awhile.  I'm going to start a 28 lowboy in my classroom and I'm thinking of setting it up as a mangrove biotope for next school year.  Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks! should be pretty cool - I hope

ml86743

This is an exciting build!  Thanks for sharing the video, very helpful.   I’m in the beginning stages of an upgrade and plan to construct my first DIY stand…can’t justify some of these prices…Following along 🙂

• Like 1
On 3/22/2024 at 2:18 PM, Giga said:

I be back - the forum seems to be not as active as I remember but i'll post none the less. I'll post in do time 🙂 I hope to finish the stand this weekend

Yeah they are a bit quieter - a lot more activity on Instagram now than the forums for reef stuff, I think. 

I just started a new build I might make a new thread for it too now I think about it 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, East1 said:

Yeah they are a bit quieter - a lot more activity on Instagram now than the forums for reef stuff, I think. 

r/ReefTank has 116K. It was 115K yesterday. If you're looking for large audience Reddit's the place.

That's not to say half of those people have a clue but they are there. 😲

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KC2020 said:

r/ReefTank has 116K. It was 115K yesterday. If you're looking for large audience Reddit's the place.

I've not really bothered with reddit - maybe i'll look into it

I didn't finish the stand but I got a chunk of it done - I love working with cedar, the stand is on it's side in the pics

DSC03110.JPG

DSC03111.JPG

DSC03112.JPG

DSC03113.JPG

• Like 3
16 hours ago, KC2020 said:

This is a good point, Reddit also IPO'd like last week so I imagine they'll start getting more popular off the back of that. I almost never post my tanks to there. 

5 hours ago, Giga said:

I didn't finish the stand but I got a chunk of it done - I love working with cedar, the stand is on it's side in the pics

This looks awesome, I'm kinda envious cus I have 0 woodworking skill

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, East1 said:

This is a good point, Reddit also IPO'd like last week so I imagine they'll start getting more popular off the back of that. I almost never post my tanks to there. 

This looks awesome, I'm kinda envious cus I have 0 woodworking skill

Thanks! I'd started a account on reddit, never used it before, but I'm trying to make something of my youtube channel so I don't mind selling myself out for subbs lol. I would love to do it full time or at least make some extra $, but it's is sooooooo hard to get subscribers.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Giga said:

Thanks! I'd started a account on reddit, never used it before, but I'm trying to make something of my youtube channel so I don't mind selling myself out for subbs lol. I would love to do it full time or at least make some extra $, but it's is sooooooo hard to get subscribers.

Honestly I'm in the same boat, I've been slowly marketing my automated botanical systems etc, but getting a following is very difficult on any platform. I've found that having regular posting schedules and somewhere adjacent to Youtube (like IG or something) where you can post more informal content daily helps with the 'algo' pushing your content. If you're really wanting to sell out for subs I can send you a good book (pdf ,really) about how to maximise engagement on social media

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, East1 said:

Honestly I'm in the same boat, I've been slowly marketing my automated botanical systems etc, but getting a following is very difficult on any platform. I've found that having regular posting schedules and somewhere adjacent to Youtube (like IG or something) where you can post more informal content daily helps with the 'algo' pushing your content. If you're really wanting to sell out for subs I can send you a good book (pdf ,really) about how to maximise engagement on social media

but what if your lazy?!

1 hour ago, Giga said:

but what if your lazy?!

when you figure that one out, let me know! 😂

• Like 1

I've been trying to work on this but it's bonsai repotting season soooooo I've been soo busy - won't post more then this one but this is what I've been doing with any spare time I have atm

• Like 3

Does anybody have dart frogs? Specifically thumbnail ones? I really want some but I have small kids and really don't want something that could make them sick - they are just sooo coool though!

Ranitomeya_imitator_Yumbatos_1_-1a7dd9b6.jpg

ml86743
On 3/25/2024 at 8:53 AM, Giga said:

DSC03110.JPG

DSC03111.JPG

DSC03112.JPG

DSC03113.JPG

The cedar looks gorgeous, I'm about to start my stand - may have to go this route!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

The cedar looks gorgeous, I'm about to start my stand - may have to go this route!

Yeah, a box of cedar shiplap for only 30$ and it will cover the entire stand - and it smells so good! I may seal it with walnut oil and I might just be in heaven with all the smells. I don't use any toxic or other paints and I try and avoid anything like that at all cost. If I do use paint it's milk paint - it's a non-toxic paint brand.

ml86743
2 hours ago, Giga said:

Yeah, a box of cedar shiplap for only 30$ and it will cover the entire stand - and it smells so good! I may seal it with walnut oil and I might just be in heaven with all the smells. I don't use any toxic or other paints and I try and avoid anything like that at all cost. If I do use paint it's milk paint - it's a non-toxic paint brand.

Cool!  Are you able to find that readily (the cedar)?  Like at home depot or something?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Giga said:

Does anybody have dart frogs? Specifically thumbnail ones? I really want some but I have small kids and really don't want something that could make them sick - they are just sooo coool though!

Ranitomeya_imitator_Yumbatos_1_-1a7dd9b6.jpg

I have, i absolutely adore thumbnail darts, i had a lot a few years ago and have cut down my collection since.

Ranitomeya are quite reclusive so as long as you had a lock or something on the glass they should be fine. some are quite loud but none are night time callers. 

• Like 1
On 3/28/2024 at 12:02 PM, ml86743 said:

Cool!  Are you able to find that readily (the cedar)?  Like at home depot or something?

Yeah I found it in the home depot ship lap section