Pod Your Reef

How to understand if your tank is ready for anemone?

Lennie

Hello guys!:biggrin:

I've been searching for anemones lately and their care requirements, and I see many people advice to introduce them into a tank that is mature enough, about 6 months or so, mainly for the stability purposes.

I see some people don't even really go through an ugly stage. Other than potential ugly stage and cycling, what might be the potential issue for "stability" ? How will parameters fluctuate if the tank is cycled and fully stocked the way you want, you have a fixed lighting schedule and use the same salt with the same ratio based on the same weekly water change and maintenance schedule. Building a lighting schedule through acclimation mode... Baically you can fix your own tank schedule around a month easily, don't you think?

Like, my tank is around 1 month old by now and cycled. I will get two juvenile clowns/A.Ocellaris. After introducing them and making sure ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is stable and I do my weekly water changes, can't I just buy a hardy anemone, like bubble tip? 

Should I really wait 6 months or so, no matter what? Like ofcourse it is always a good idea to have a "seasoned" tank, but is it a must?

I found a really good looking bubble tip and I wouldn't like to miss the chance, even though it is not a natural host to A.Ocellaris. 

Please let me know :eek:

NoOneLikesADryTang

Your chances of keeping the anemone happy will exponentially grow, the longer you wait.

My rule of thumb is to wait until you have coraline algae growing. Once you have that, you’re probably ready for a bubble tip. 

Until then, you’re playing with fire… And that isn’t fair to a living animal. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Your chances of keeping the anemone happy will exponentially grow, the longer you wait.

My rule of thumb is to wait until you have coraline algae growing. Once you have that, you’re probably ready for a bubble tip. 

Until then, you’re playing with fire… And that isn’t fair to a living animal. 

Oh yea. That's why I am trying to understand the reasons why and how can I do my best for them. Thanks!

Is there any way to promote coraline algae growth from zero, or better to say, is it even possible? I want this to be an anemone-clownfish pair tank so I don't want to buy any corals and frags that carries some. Noone is selling or gifting a piece of rock from the LFSs, I asked about it... We don't have live rocks available here. And I haven't seen any snail shells having it around too. I saw some products, but we don't have them here too:mellow:

Can I grow it from zero? Or do I at least need to introduce some live source/spores to my tank in order to grow it/seed my tank?

BRS has a video on it, and mentions that I need to seed live CCA. I gues I will have to find snails that has it on their shell...