Pod Your Reef

Are Nero 3s really that bad ?

KC2020

I'm looking at Nano sized wave makers and the AI Nero 3 looks great but there are so many bad reviews. 

Are they really that bad ? Or are there plenty of happy users but we just don't hear from the happy users ?

Hygger and Jebao look like the only alternatives that physical size but I don't know anything about those brands.

geekreef_05

In my opinion the Neros are the best pumps on the market.

I have a nero 3 on a 20 gallon and 2x mp10s on my 40 gallon. 

The Nero is dead silent compared to the mp10s. Its alot smaller. No bulky dry side. Its more reliable too. In the sense that my mp10s fell off the glass a few times. I had glue them down. 

Also..this has been fixed via software updates, but the mp10s used to have trouble booting back up into their schedule after a power outage. They would come back online in low powr mode. Software updates fixed it though.

Both are way better than the hyggar, which I've used as well. 

That said the hyggar is a good pump, for the cost. Just alot simpler. 

• Like 2

This is good news because it looks ideal for my Waterbox 20 AIO. It's crazy how the reviews on BRS and on some forums make it sound terrible. 

How long have you had them running ?

1 hour ago, KC2020 said:

This is good news because it looks ideal for my Waterbox 20 AIO. It's crazy how the reviews on BRS and on some forums make it sound terrible. 

I ran one in my WB 39 and worked great........ mine was the sump version but same footprint as the 20 AIO.......... love the Nero pumps have had a few over the years and work great......... they are easy to clean and the price is great.......

I used to have a few Nero 3's. They would constantly stall and sometimes my tank would be without flow for several hours before I noticed. No push notifications to make me aware either. 

My Nero 5's have been great. I haven't even cleaned them for around 8 months and they just keep on doing what they are supposed to do. 

Ok, not that I was taking a pole but that's 3 users with a good experience and 1 with a bad experience.

I wonder if they've changed anything with the design since they were introduced. Again, the bad reviews are prevalent. BRS for example has all bad reviews on their site for the 3 and they own AI so you'd think they must have sold a lot of them and there would be some balance of user experience.

geekreef_05
6 hours ago, KC2020 said:

Ive got my nero 3 in a waterbox 20 as well. Its been running for a year. Not a single issue. Perfect sized pump for that aquarium. Its on the back of the tank. And super useful that it can be fully submersible. An mp10 would not have been able to fit in that position.

15 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Ive got my nero 3 in a waterbox 20 as well. Its been running for a year. Not a single issue. Perfect sized pump for that aquarium. Its on the back of the tank. And super useful that it can be fully submersible. An mp10 would not have been able to fit in that position.

OK, I'll have to check one out.

Thanks for the replies !

I liked mine when I had it, but it was constantly stopping itself whenever ANYTHING got into it. Maybe my tank just had a lot of stupid snails and hermits?

Other than that I'd recommend, just wish they were still $150 like when I bought mine... tad bit overpriced now

I have several MP10s on hand. Even a brand new one sitting in the box but from what I've read the Neros are quiet. The fact that they're smaller means I could run a couple of them running in opposing action and that's appealing.

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, KC2020 said:

I have several MP10s on hand. Even a brand new one sitting in the box but from what I've read the Neros are quiet. The fact that they're smaller means I could run a couple of them running in opposing action and that's appealing.

My MP10s make zero audible noise. They are 2 years old. Clean the wetside every couple months and properly align them and you won't hear anything.

The MP10s I was running are about 10 years old and on their second wet side. Maybe the new one I have would be quiet but I'm going to try a Nero 3 just for comparison. And to be able to put it on the back of the AIO, down low behind my rock, is an advantage.

I can't compare Vortech's with Nero's, but in general silence is not one of the strengths of the Vortech design.  That isn't surprising since the motor is outside the tank, air cooled, and (naturally) not insulated by the tank water as a typical powerhead would be.  There are well publicized advantages to the motor-outside design (ask any of their legion of fans), but Ecotech had to release the Q series due to noise issues...so the presence of noise is reduced today, but not eliminated.  (Performance of the pumps changed in the Q series as well.  Design is all about tradeoffs.  I could be wrong, but I think reliability increased with the Q series as well.)

Also, "correct alignment" of wet and dry sides is more of an art than a science in some scenarios.  Manly because the strength of the connection between the wet- and dry-side are dependent on the relative thickness of glass between them....thicker glass equals weaker holding power and vis versa.  It's "better" if you're using them on an "undersized" tank than the opposite.

ryans.salty.crew

Just another opinion here and you know what they say about opinions.

In comparing the 2 power heads Nero vs MP10 

Nero (✔️

Smaller, quite, cheaper

Nero ()

Wires in tank, cleaning leaves tank without flow

MP10 (✔️)

No wires inside tank, easy to change out wet side in seconds (No joke seconds)

MP10 ()

Expensive, louder (Times when it's silent, times when not), if you lose power the pumps magnetics will stop working and it will fall

Both (✔️)

Reliable, decently small, create great water movement

3 hours ago, ryans.salty.crew said:

MP10 ()

Expensive, louder (Times when it's silent, times when not), if you lose power the pumps magnetics will stop working and it will fall

This is 100% wrong. They WILL NOT fall if the power stops. I turn mine off multiple times a day with my Apex and mine hold. If your MP10s are falling off they are too small for your tank.

I ran MP10s and Mp40s with an Apex that shut them down twice daily for a feeding cycle, for nearly a decade, and they never fell off. 

• Like 1

More of the same. My Nero 3 is awesome. It has one bug where the date keeps auto setting to the year 2106 which screws up time automations. I had to remove it from my tank in the app and create a second tank because the time change would also mess up my AI Prime light. So in the app, I have 2 tanks. One for the AI Prime and now for the Nero 3. That was what tech support advised. With that caveat, its been a great pump

ryans.salty.crew
15 hours ago, braaap said:

This is 100% wrong. They WILL NOT fall if the power stops. I turn mine off multiple times a day with my Apex and mine hold. If your MP10s are falling off they are too small for your tank.

In my experience as well as other reefers, they fall off if they lose power SOMETIMES. Not everytime and everyone, but it happens sometimes to some people. I'm not the only one that has had this problem. 

I have a 13.5 fluval and run my mp10 without the rubber in between so it's not thickness of glass OR the rubber. SOME mp10's do this. I doubt them being "to small" has anything to do with my tank

Like i said above (per my last email), we all have opinions. I'm only speaking from experience. A quick google search will prove my point. It happens when modes are changed, turned off, or just randomly. You learn something new everyday 🙂 

geekreef_05

Lol.

I like how there is some serious vortech fandom on this thread. 

The poster bought a Nero anyway and the thread kept going. 

Hehe.

ryans.salty.crew
On 2/17/2024 at 9:08 PM, geekreef_05 said:

In the sense that my mp10s fell off the glass a few times. I had glue them down. 

TBH, I just read this lol. Didn't even see your testimony to the same problem that I was stating. 

42 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

I like how there is some serious vortech fandom on this thread.

It's funny because i LOVE my vortech mp10. But I am giving an honest review.