Cultivated Reef

Jason's reef bowl

Bluelobstor

Bluelobstor

Good evening everyone, This is my first time starting a journal and want to track the progress. I have been inspired by @natalia_la_loca to start a reef bowl after reading through her journal and seeing all the beautiful pictures. A little background info about me, I have kept fish and coral before but have been out of it for a few years now and never had a reef bowl. 

I was looking at different bowls available and have been trying to decide which night be best. Amazon a several to choose from and I have looked at Michael's craft store and am leaning towards one from there. I have 3 options taken from their sight are the dimensions below,

"8"  bowl is 8" diameter x 6.4" tall , with 6"  diameter opening

10"  bowl is 10" diameter x 8.25" tall , with 6.87"  diameter opening

12"  bowl is 12" diameter x 9.5" tall , with 9.125"  diameter opening"

Any help or input would be appreciated and I also have to take into consideration the lid that I have to purchase separately. 

I have several air pumps I can use and I recently purchased the heater below from Amazon, hopefully it will work. If anyone thinks there is a better alternative let me know. I also have aged salt mix, does it go bad if it mixes? I also have some rocks from previous setups I can use.

I think that is all that is needed besides some sand and I can work on getting it setup.

Thanks in advance for and input, advice, or tips.

Jason

I'm updating this to show the equipment I'm using in one spot.

Bowl is from hobby lobby and is 12" diameter with a very wide opening and lid is just a casserole lid with flexible tubing that is super glued to it around the edge that just rests on top of the bowl. I'm looking to change lid setup to something else

Filtration is live rock (dry from a previous tank I had) and Arag alive Bihimi pink live sand.

Flow is provided by a 40g dual outlet air pump, whisper is the brand. Have an inline adjustable air valve to reduce flow if needed and a check valve to keep from siphoning water out the tank.

Heater is 10w with digital read out and adjustable digitally. This is also controlled by an Inkbird temp controller.

Light is a 12w par 38 tuna blue led by ABI. Currently have a clip on fixture but looking for a more permanent solution.

Salt mix is Indian Ocean brand but possibly on the lookout for something else.

• Like 4
Bluelobstor
2 hours ago, Staticmoves said:

Exciting…. Following.

welcome back to the reef….😎

Thanks, it feels good to be back. 

natalia_la_loca

Niiice, it’ll be great to see another reefbowl on here!!

Re: size, it really depends on your goals and the space you have available and what size lid you can get your hands on, as any of those sizes can work just fine with a reefbowl setup. I’d need to take measurements, but i’m pretty sure my bowl is about the same as the middle size you posted. It has a full volume of about 1.75 gallons and a water volume of about 1.25 gallons when rocks, sand and corals are inside. 

I couldn’t see any pics or links to the heater you bought. Whichever heater you get, I highly recommend getting an Inkbird or Finnex temperature controller as a failsafe.

I imagine your old salt mix is fine. At bare minimum, it should be completely fine while you’re cycling the bowl.

Bluelobstor
20 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Niiice, it’ll be great to see another reefbowl on here!!

Re: size, it really depends on your goals and the space you have available and what size lid you can get your hands on, as any of those sizes can work just fine with a reefbowl setup. I’d need to take measurements, but i’m pretty sure my bowl is about the same as the middle size you posted. It has a full volume of about 1.75 gallons and a water volume of about 1.25 gallons when rocks, sand and corals are inside. 

I couldn’t see any pics or links to the heater you bought. Whichever heater you get, I highly recommend getting an Inkbird or Finnex temperature controller as a failsafe.

I imagine your old salt mix is fine. At bare minimum, it should be completely fine while you’re cycling the bowl.

Thanks Natalie! I was hoping you would chime in. I'll look into the controllers and here's a pic of the heater.

As for the bowl I think a lid may be the limiting factor in size. What are others using for lids? 

I like the bigger size for the price but not sure where to get a lid from.

Screenshot_20240205-004403.png

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

That heater should work fine! Definitely get a temp controller too. You might need to get a plug adapter for that USB connection if the heater doesn’t come with one, but newer temp controllers may be USB compatible. 

For my lid, I took a tape measure to a craft store that had terrariums, and bought a terrarium that had a lid the matched the measurement of my reefbowl. You might be able to find one of those on Amazon too.

• Like 1
Bluelobstor
37 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

That heater should work fine! Definitely get a temp controller too. You might need to get a plug adapter for that USB connection if the heater doesn’t come with one, but newer temp controllers may be USB compatible. 

For my lid, I took a tape measure to a craft store that had terrariums, and bought a terrarium that had a lid the matched the measurement of my reefbowl. You might be able to find one of those on Amazon too.

Thanks for info it will give me a place to start. Did you have to form yours a certain way to get the lid to sit on there? I know there was some discussion about it. I don't know all the details or did your lid fit perfectly?

I plan to go to Michael's on way to work tomorrow to look at their bowls. Maybe they will have something I can use.

I'm excited to get something started.

natalia_la_loca
7 hours ago, Bluelobstor said:

Thanks for info it will give me a place to start. Did you have to form yours a certain way to get the lid to sit on there? I know there was some discussion about it. I don't know all the details or did your lid fit perfectly?

I plan to go to Michael's on way to work tomorrow to look at their bowls. Maybe they will have something I can use.

I'm excited to get something started.

Yw! The lid fits well in terms of diameter, but I added some clear PVC tubing around the rim of the bowl. This has two functions: it creates a small gap at the back for the airline, heater and temp probe, and it functions as a gasket to prevent salt creep. Without the tubing, the cables and airline would cause the lid to sit at an angle. (It works, but there might be a more elegant solution to that problem…if you think of one let me know!)

Btw Michael’s is actually where I got the terrarium with a lid that was the right size, maybe they still have them.

• Like 2
Bluelobstor
7 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Yw! The lid fits well in terms of diameter, but I added some clear PVC tubing around the rim of the bowl. This has two functions: it creates a small gap at the back for the airline, heater and temp probe, and it functions as a gasket to prevent salt creep. Without the tubing, the cables and airline would cause the lid to sit at an angle. (It works, but there might be a more elegant solution to that problem…if you think of one let me know!)

Btw Michael’s is actually where I got the terrarium with a lid that was the right size, maybe they still have them.

I remember the tubing and I should have some already. You're the creative one, not me. If you can't figure out a better solution, I doubt I will. I've seen your paintings and while I can honestly say I don't understand art, that's not my forte, I do think they look really nice. 

• Thanks 1
Bluelobstor

So I just left Michael's and bought the medium bowl and the larger bowl and now I got to work on lids. I can always return them if I can't get it worked out. I have a few ideas of places to look but I'm on my way to work now.

They actually had two lids that would be perfect for each of the bowls however, you have to buy the vase with it.

I took pictures of the two vases and I'm wondering if they would be just as good or if they're really too tall compared to the width to be of use

PXL_20240205_211636277.jpg

PXL_20240205_211632769.jpg

• Like 1
Bluelobstor

I did order up an inkbird temperature controller that should be here in a few days. The par 38 lamp won't be here until about the middle of February and I ordered some hemostats. I remember Natalie saying those work pretty well for cleaning the glass. 

Back to the salt, I have some Indian Ocean salt mix in some bags that haven't been opened yet so I think I will be okay. After I set everything up, I will test the water to verify the parameters of the salt mix. I have red sea test kits. I heard mix opinions on those. I've also heard that the API test kits are just as good as any of the others. Not sure if that is true or not. 

Anything else I'm missing besides some sand?

@natalia_la_loca 

I accidentally tagged you and now it won't let me delete it. What is everyone use and material wise to wipe the glass down with?

natalia_la_loca
6 hours ago, Bluelobstor said:

I remember the tubing and I should have some already. You're the creative one, not me. If you can't figure out a better solution, I doubt I will. I've seen your paintings and while I can honestly say I don't understand art, that's not my forte, I do think they look really nice. 

aww heck, thanks ☺️ we can all learn from earth other though!!

I think either of those lids could potentially work…neither of them is too tall because if you’ll be using the same light as mine, you’ll probably want to have it higher than the top of either of those lids would reach. I wonder about the bottom edge of those lids though…it looks like it extends down about an inch and that might interfere with your cables and airline, or could extend into the water (which isn’t necessarily a big deal as long as you keep the lid clean…cleaning the lid is part of my weekly maintenance routine and is super easy as long as I do it each week). Otoh you can always return the lid if it doesn’t work out.

I haven’t used Red Sea or API test kits…my fav is Salifert. A friend of mine just gave me some Seachem test kits and they seem pretty nice, easy to use and give results that are consistent with the Salifert kits.

For wiping down the glass, I used to use a piece of Mr Clean Magic Eraser with a hemostat, but eventually found it couldn’t handle coraline. Lately what I use is a piece of razor blade (I bend it with pliers until it breaks in two) that I maneuver with a hemostat.

I think you’ve got everything you need, but you might want to consider getting some  Zoo-Med Mag-Clips. Very useful for keeping your heater and temp controller probe to stay in one place and out of your line of sight. 

• Like 1
Bluelobstor
4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

aww heck, thanks ☺️ we can all learn from earth other though!!

I think either of those lids could potentially work…neither of them is too tall because if you’ll be using the same light as mine, you’ll probably want to have it higher than the top of either of those lids would reach. I wonder about the bottom edge of those lids though…it looks like it extends down about an inch and that might interfere with your cables and airline, or could extend into the water (which isn’t necessarily a big deal as long as you keep the lid clean…cleaning the lid is part of my weekly maintenance routine and is super easy as long as I do it each week). Otoh you can always return the lid if it doesn’t work out.

I haven’t used Red Sea or API test kits…my fav is Salifert. A friend of mine just gave me some Seachem test kits and they seem pretty nice, easy to use and give results that are consistent with the Salifert kits.

For wiping down the glass, I used to use a piece of Mr Clean Magic Eraser with a hemostat, but eventually found it couldn’t handle coraline. Lately what I use is a piece of razor blade (I bend it with pliers until it breaks in two) that I maneuver with a hemostat.

I think you’ve got everything you need, but you might want to consider getting some  Zoo-Med Mag-Clips. Very useful for keeping your heater and temp controller probe to stay in one place and out of your line of sight. 

Thanks for suggestions! I will look into the mag clips and I may have some razor blades. If not I'll see what's available. I have used Salifert test kits before and they're pretty good. I think I'll just use up what I have unless I can see they're not accurate. 

I think you're right about the lids that they have a lip that protrudes into the bowls. If I have to use a tube for it to rest on, it might not be that bad. I just will have to see how close to the lip is and if I can get the cords to squeeze in between. 

• Like 1
Bluelobstor

I'm still looking for a lid. I have an option but it's $35 so I'm still looking. I did order the mag clips so thanks Natalia and I ordered a 5lb bag of sand that says it has live bacteria in it. Not sure it's the best to use as I thought about just getting a pound or two at a local store that would already have some bacteria as well.

I can return it if needed. 

Also the lid fits the larger bowl so I think I may just go with that. I haven't filled it up yet but it should be between 2-3 gallons

• Like 1
Bluelobstor

I was mistaken I didn't order any sand. I knew I had looked at some but didn't end up buying any. I still think I may just get some from a lfs unless someone thinks I may introduce something negative into the bowls?

geekreef_05

oh yikes. Reefbowl seems like a big challenge! 

There are some large one's on amazon. Like 9 gallon. 

Looking forward to seeing this develop. 

• Like 1
Bluelobstor
1 hour ago, geekreef_05 said:

There are some large one's on amazon. Like 9 gallon. 

Looking forward to seeing this develop. 

I'll let you know as I progress but I will say setup is cheaper that something larger and honestly seems like easier to manage. You can do a full water change with 3 gallons or less. Most people probably change more than that on their larger tanks and they are only doing a partial change. 

I will say one downside might be with people that travel a lot and if something goes wrong? It will go wrong very quickly.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca
12 hours ago, Bluelobstor said:

I was mistaken I didn't order any sand. I knew I had looked at some but didn't end up buying any. I still think I may just get some from a lfs unless someone thinks I may introduce something negative into the bowls?

it’s possible. Once I seeded a tank with some sand from the LFS and it actually had turf algae in it, wtf?!!

FWIW, i’ve started all my reefbowls/jars with dry sand and bottled bacteria. They’ve worked fine. 

7 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

I think big tanks are way more challenging than a reefbowl 😅

6 hours ago, Bluelobstor said:

I will say one downside might be with people that travel a lot and if something goes wrong? It will go wrong very quickly.

Definitely possible, although I’ve traveled many times for up to a week with no maintenance other than asking someone to take a look at the reefbowl now and then to see if it looks okay. To be fair, I live in an area that’s not very prone to power outages. 

• Like 1
Bluelobstor
12 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

it’s possible. Once I seeded a tank with some sand from the LFS and it actually had turf algae in it, wtf?!!

FWIW, i’ve started all my reefbowls/jars with dry sand and bottled bacteria. They’ve worked fine. 

I think big tanks are way more challenging than a reefbowl 😅

Definitely possible, although I’ve traveled many times for up to a week with no maintenance other than asking someone to take a look at the reefbowl now and then to see if it looks okay. To be fair, I live in an area that’s not very prone to power outages. 

I think I will forgo lfs sand for the reason you stated. I may go with dry sand or wet sand in a bag depending on cost. I have used bottled bacteria as well in the past before I started using live rock. 

I wonder if the rock I have is ok to use? It's been dry for awhile but I wonder if spores can survive?

I live in Central Florida. I don't have as many power outages as you would expect with all the thunderstorms we have, but it is a possibility especially during summer time. 

• Like 1
Tempestas

For my reefbowl I went with a lid that's actually another vase that's set up upside down. The most similar product I could find on Amazon is this.

https://www.amazon.com/FUOYLOO-Glass-Flower-Office-Portable/dp/B0C5S28NSZ/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_pd_sbs_rvi_d_sccl_2_12/139-3151837-0960843?pd_rd_w=FJuMQ&content-id=amzn1.sym.a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_p=a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_r=V9K9ETC6RVG61T1AEWXP&pd_rd_wg=QneFs&pd_rd_r=cd59ccf6-f233-4052-924e-0f4c807da533&pd_rd_i=B0C5S199Z4&th=1

Not sure which size reefbowl you're going to with, but after some experience I would say the larger the opening the better. You could also look for a cookie jar with similar dimensions but I never had much success with that when I was searching for a lid.

As for glass cleaners, I've been using the IM one for many years without problems. Although I would not leave it in there permanently.

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/micromag-glass-cleaner/

• Like 1
Bluelobstor
4 hours ago, Tempestas said:

For my reefbowl I went with a lid that's actually another vase that's set up upside down. The most similar product I could find on Amazon is this.

https://www.amazon.com/FUOYLOO-Glass-Flower-Office-Portable/dp/B0C5S28NSZ/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_pd_sbs_rvi_d_sccl_2_12/139-3151837-0960843?pd_rd_w=FJuMQ&content-id=amzn1.sym.a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_p=a089f039-4dde-401a-9041-8b534ae99e65&pf_rd_r=V9K9ETC6RVG61T1AEWXP&pd_rd_wg=QneFs&pd_rd_r=cd59ccf6-f233-4052-924e-0f4c807da533&pd_rd_i=B0C5S199Z4&th=1

Not sure which size reefbowl you're going to with, but after some experience I would say the larger the opening the better. You could also look for a cookie jar with similar dimensions but I never had much success with that when I was searching for a lid.

As for glass cleaners, I've been using the IM one for many years without problems. Although I would not leave it in there permanently.

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/micromag-glass-cleaner/

Thanks I will check out the glass cleaner. I got the larger bowl with the larger opening.

Bluelobstor

I bought a lid today at a thrift store. I attached a picture of how it sits on the bowl and wondering if anyone's sees a problem with it? Ignore the black tape it was just a way to mount the tube to lid temporarily.

PXL_20240209_221235234.MP~2.jpg

• Like 2
Tempestas

That looks about right. If the lid doesn't fall inside the bowl without the tubing in place you're good to go. But that tubing is the most vital item in these reefbowls imo, so you definitely need to use it

• Like 2