SaltCritters.com

RDA’s UNS 30A

The Rainy Day Aquarium

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Hello again friends,

It’s a new year with some new frizz. Figured I’d share a simple build with a simple intro. I’ve had this UNS 30A for a time and decided to tear it down and restart it a little while ago. Trying to keep this tank clean and minimal (of course with a few hidden goodies 😉). 

Current FTS

Untitled_Artwork.thumb.jpeg.8dd1652494e47532d59dd2b69ad8f258.jpeg
Equipment:

Aquarium- UNS 30A (~7 gallons)

Lighting- 2x AI Blade Grow 1x AI Blade Glow

Return- AI Axis 20

Flow- AI Nero 3

Skimmer- IceCap K1 Neo

Extra Filtration- Carbon, Ceramic Media

Doser- Chihiros 4 Head Doser

Rock- Caribsea LifeRock

Sand- Caribsea Special Grade Arag-Alive 

Salt- Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Maintenance:

Weekly:

One Gallon Water Change

Vacuum Sand Bed

Clean Glass 

Empty Skimmer Cup

Refill ATO Container

Monthly:

Clean Pump and Wave Maker

Clean Mechanical Filtration Media

Replace Carbon Media

Livestock:

TBD

• Like 7
The Rainy Day Aquarium
14 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

sweet setup!!! Wait, AI makes a white nero 3??

Thank you.

I wish! I coated it in a layer of krylon fusion which is generally accepted as “reef safe”. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Yeah I painted my Lights too, all of which thoroughly voided any warranty I had haha. I agree! I think white is super sleek and am a big fan of it. 

Not sure just yet, but trying to keep to a theme of simple/things that 

look good in more of a daylight spectrum.

• Like 1

What hardware did you use to mount those blades?  I'd love to build something for mine so I can angle it.  I'd probably have to figure out some kind gooseneck or bracket arms.  

Little tank looks great!

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

I used M8 bolts and laser cut a hanger out of acrylic. Being able to angle the lights was a game changer for me. I chose to hang mine, but I don’t think making a bracket would be hard to do.

33 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Haha unfortunately I don’t have any bolts left, sorry 😆

Lol no worries.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Excited to see this little tank fill up! 

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Sunset on the *empty* reef.
Any places online where you like to get coral from? My local supply is low quality/slim pickings🥲 I like Tidal Gardens; let me know your favorites.

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.1b45583fbc6b1f5823716d4e87c3caa5.jpeg

• Like 2
coltnanoreef

this is very well done, we have similar aesthetic tastes. and that blade mount is amazing, do you have a file you could share of the template? 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 1/29/2024 at 12:09 AM, coltnanoreef said:

this is very well done, we have similar aesthetic tastes. and that blade mount is amazing, do you have a file you could share of the template? 

Thank you!

This was a one off thing that I did for fun, so I don't have the files anymore, unfortunately, but I can answer any questions you may have about it.

Daniel92481

Your tanks look great! We should all know by now that you will always throw a cool, creative spin on things.😃

As far as coral places, I would check out Austin Aqua farms for some nice pieces at decent prices. Tidal Gardens is also one of my favs, but much more expensive unfortunately. Also check out corals anonymous if you’re looking for some different items that you don’t normally find at other stores. Just be cautious with their photoshop techniques.✌️

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
23 hours ago, Daniel92481 said:

Your tanks look great! We should all know by now that you will always throw a cool, creative spin on things.😃

As far as coral places, I would check out Austin Aqua farms for some nice pieces at decent prices. Tidal Gardens is also one of my favs, but much more expensive unfortunately. Also check out corals anonymous if you’re looking for some different items that you don’t normally find at other stores. Just be cautious with their photoshop techniques.✌️

Thanks! 

hmm I have to check Austin Aqua Farms out, I never heard of them.

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

@Tempestas Thank you! Always happy with UNS quality. It’s actually a nozzle that’s meant to look like a lily pipe. It came stock with the tank. I’ll try to get a better photo of it when I have some time.

The Rainy Day Aquarium

IMG_5203.thumb.jpeg.cef8a4dcfc12e65dc798e307c8d02330.jpeg

New Friend

Got off work early and stopped by my LFS on my way home. Their coral selection is abysmal, but they did have some neat fish. Ended up taking this fire shrimp home with me; I’ve wanted one for a long time now. Will also probably be moving one of my small toadstools from my 26 gallon into here as well. And so the journey begins…

• Like 3
schgr.cube

This is such a great setup! I actually was originally thinking of seeing if any FW people wanted to swap their blade housings, but I’m not sure how difficult that would have been. The blades look so good in white. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium
8 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

This is such a great setup! I actually was originally thinking of seeing if any FW people wanted to swap their blade housings, but I’m not sure how difficult that would have been. The blades look so good in white. 

Thank you. I'm going to need to keep this thing laboratory clean because you can see everyyythingggg with the white background.

I agree. I don't know why AI hasn't made them in white, or even used the FW shells for them as they already have the parts for it? We need to start bugging them about this obvious thing they should have done haha.

The Rainy Day Aquarium

IMG_5220.thumb.jpeg.b4f03434b6ce2b9130722ed491f05c70.jpeg

Ended up on deciding against moving my toadstool; looking for a pink or yellow Fiji later on to add, but I did move a handful of other corals into here including a green Seriatopora. We’ll see how everything does. With just a small shrimp in here the bio load is very low, but I’ll be doing weekly water changes and a bacteria additive to keep things moving. 

• Like 3
schgr.cube
12 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Thank you. I'm going to need to keep this thing laboratory clean because you can see everyyythingggg with the white background.

I agree. I don't know why AI hasn't made them in white, or even used the FW shells for them as they already have the parts for it? We need to start bugging them about this obvious thing they should have done haha.

AI can’t seem to make up their mind on what their aesthetic is. I feel like the Blade was such a good step in the right direction, but it is a little lackluster at the same time.

I just picked up a new Prime 16HD because of what it offers, but god it’s an ugly light 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1