SaltCritters.com

Fish jumping in uncovered tanks? What's your experience? Recommended cover if I need to get one?

duganderson

duganderson

I have a 34 G. Red Sea cube and I'm planning to take the hood off.  What is your experience with how common it is for fish to jump and which fish have jumped?  

I have a Occelarus clown and will likely be getting HiFin Goby/Pistol shrimp combo, African Flameback, Banggai Cardinalfish and maybe 6 line wrasse.  Would you highly discourage any of these fish without a top?  

Does water level (length between water line and tank lip) in the tank seem to impact how much they are likely to jump?

Im not super fond of covers that are not hoods.  What type of cover do you like best if I use a cover?  

Thanks in advance!  Doug

InAtTheDeepEnd

Rule 1: All fish can jump. That being said, some are likely to jump than others. Of the ones you listed the wrasse and clown would be most likely to (can't comment on the angel). Lowering the water level means it's less likely  any jumpers will end up as carpet crispies but won't make fish less liable to leap (they jump to escape the water, not the tank). 

Depending on your budget/needs D-D jumpguards are good and stay looking smart over time but won't stop evaporation, or just plain acrylic greenhouse sheeting cut to size with a stanley knife (and this does a great job stopping evaporation but needs regular cleaning else it will look grim and they can also crack/snap). 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, duganderson said:

I have a Occelarus clown and will likely be getting HiFin Goby/Pistol shrimp combo, African Flameback, Banggai Cardinalfish and maybe 6 line wrasse.

Pretty much ditto.  

Out of your list, the wrasse is almost guaranteed to jump.  The rest fall in somewhere behind him in likelihood.  Something to consider is that's a lot of fish in a small tank.  Fish are far more likely to jump from a densely packed tank than from one where they have lots of room to themselves.  Low risk fish in a lightly stocked tank is the safest bet if you REALLY want to go topless.

5 hours ago, duganderson said:

Im not super fond of covers that are not hoods.  What type of cover do you like best if I use a cover?  

See what you think of the options out there (IIRC there are some sponsors or members that make custom screen tops, the DD jump guard already mentioned, etc), but if you don't like the "modern" options for covering the tank then maybe reconsider keeping the hood.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a good way to make it work – it was a decent setup from the factory, after all.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

You should 100% plan on having a lid. 

It’s not an if, but a when for the six line and most likely hi fin goby. 

I’m a fan of Ocotaquatics but Kraken Reef also makes nice lids for smaller tanks. 

What is driving your decision for wanting to remove the hood? 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Out of your list, the wrasse is almost guaranteed to jump.

a 6 line?

I think the wrasse will be the cause to make all the other fishes to jump from bullying, before it jumps out of the tank.  😅

I made a top from a kit i bought from aliexpress.  

It wasn't that expensive either, just took about 3 weeks to arrive from China tho, but it used a clear mesh and had special corner pieces so it securly fit on top of your tank.  

• Like 1
geekreef_05

I have ALWAYS run topless tanks. Just so much nicer and easier. 

None of the fish you mentioned are jumpers in my mind. That said, there's always a chance a fish gets startled and jumps. 

But I've never had a clownfish, firefish or goby jump. I had a sixline for a long time, never jumped. 

Not sure about the flameback though. Never had one before.

That said, in my opinion a 35 gallon cube is too small for a sixline. sorry to say it. They are super fast, super high energy fish. In a small space can be a big bully. 

I had one in a 75 gallon for a short time and quickly released he (and the tangs) need a bigger tank. 

Fish that have jumped on me are:

Anthias and a Midas Blenny. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I lost a shrimp to forgetting to put the lid back on a tank, and a clown goby to a very narrow gap in a lid. People will tell you those don't jump, but they do, if you startle them at the wrong time.

All fish physically capable of doing so can jump under the right circumstances. Going without a lid if you have fish that can jump (which is everything except seahorses, boxfish, and maybe a few others) means risking those fish dying slow, painful deaths. It's simply not worth the aesthetic improvement that a lidless tank can have, particularly when you can just take the lid off if you want to photograph the tank or sit and stare at it for awhile. Imagine if it were common practice for people to have open-design powerheads that fish could swim straight into and get shredded, because they liked the look better that way.

• Agree 2

Having had 2 hifin gobies and a clown jump out of my tank even with a lid, I would second the 'get a lid' refrain. Red Sea makes a nice lid kit that fits inside the rim of the tank resting on tabs. Looks sharp and comes off easily for maintenance. I would recommend upgrading the mesh with 1/8" holes instead of the 1/4" mesh it comes with if you have a hifin goby, as they fit through the 1/4" holes. BRS has the 1/8" clear mesh.

• Agree 1