Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine 10g AIO - Dead spot below output nozzle.

AaronRV45

AaronRV45

With the Innovative Marine 10g AIO I have a dead spot on water movement below the nozzle in the corner. How do others address this?

what nozzle? if it's still the stock duck bill nozzle I would try something like vca's random flow generator, they fit perfectly on innovative marines returns, just pop off the stock nozzle while leaving the black loc line attachment

• Agree 1
AaronRV45
On 1/3/2024 at 11:59 AM, Jaren45 said:

what nozzle? if it's still the stock duck bill nozzle I would try something like vca's random flow generator, they fit perfectly on innovative marines returns, just pop off the stock nozzle while leaving the black loc line attachment

I have the VCA random nozzle but it doesn't get down in the corner under the nozzle. I have to stir it with a tube. 

Might just be an awkward spot to get flow to, i'd either try to get a bigger return pump or look for a small powerhead

mcarroll
On 1/1/2024 at 6:26 PM, AaronRV45 said:

With the Innovative Marine 10g AIO I have a dead spot on water movement below the nozzle in the corner. How do others address this?

Every flow source (pump) has a dead zone right under it, since almost all of the flow(force) is going out the front of the pump to the other side of the tank.

@debbeach13's solution of placing a coral there is smart, since that coral will be WELL FED.  Depending on the tank's overall flow, you might be limited to lower flow corals, but your mileage on that may vary.

Another option is to get a second pump.  The second pump's flow pattern will more or less cancel out the dead zones of the first pump.  If possible, for greatest effect run the pumps alternately instead of simultaneously. 

If it was a powerhead instead of an AIO return, a third option would be to lower the pump a little closer to the bottom until the pump can clear the area.  Drawing substrate into the pump can be a risk if the pump has to be too low though.