Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank mates for a pistol/goby pair in nano & their care requirements

maga18

Me and my son are setting up our first nano (RSM Nano Peninsula, 26G total). I have been keeping reef tanks for a while (RSM 250), but never nano and never had a pistol & goby pair, although it has always been on my dream livestock list :). Now our trusted LFS has yasha goby & pistol shrimp paring, so we are preparing to get one 🙂

Generally, I have been thinking that they should be happy in nano - no big fish to disturb them, easier to observe. In terms of requirements, I know to provide sand, I was thinking of doing 1.5-2 inches on average, but with some deeper regions in case they prefer it. And some crushed corrals & shells to reinforce burrow. Is there anything else they need to be comfortable? is there a way to encourage them to burrow in a specific place - like releasing them at a specific area, or put building materials or food there? I hope in a nano it will not be a big issue, because we should able to see them regardless, just wondering ...

In terms of tank mates, I have been thinking a fire fish goby and a tailspot blenny (for algae control). Fire fish is supposed to be compatible with Yasha goby, since they well be swimming in a different areas. We have been always thinking of maybe adding a one small clownfish later - I was thinking one will be better than a pair first to keep stocking light but also I wondered if they get more aggressive as a couple?

Before we realized that our LFS sells Yasha goby/pistol shrimp pairs I have been thinking of putting a fire shrimp there - I love observing these guys! But even before I was a bit worried - in a tank so small, will there be a problem of "over cleaning", ie. will fire shrimp natural cleaning behavior may feel like harassment to the few small fish we plan to keep  there? Moreover, it seems that technically a fire shrimp is compatible with pistol shrimp, but I have had concerns that putting a big shrimp together with a small one - and blind - in a same, relative small tank is not a good idea - what is your experience? (I cannot put fire shrimp in my bigger tanks, have flame hawk and 6 line there).

Looking forward to all your comments and advise.

They will need a slightly deeper substrate of mixed grain sizes, with some crushed coral, shells, and small rocks.  Make sure that the rocks are not sitting on top of the substrate, as digging under the rocks will cause them to drop (possibly crushing the shrimp, or toppling the rocks over).

IME, a cleaner shrimp won't disturb its fish tank mates.

• Like 2

I never kept a pair; but it has always sounded interesting.  However, lots of other people have posted about their goby/shrimp pairs:

https//site:nano-reef.com goby shrimp pair

I believe that the cleaner shrimp will sit on the rocks, while the pistol shrimp should burrow.  This should help with compatibility.

• Like 1