Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UNS 45S Pico Lagoon

Sprinter70

Small and simple, 5 gallon tank with 4 gallons of water. Flow is ripping with a Jebao SCP-70 on the lowest setting and the sine flow mode. 3D printed aquascape, trying to do more yellow corals, excited to try some branching porites as a coral I have been eying up for a while. Aragonite sand for substrate. For livestock, pods, 2 nassarius snails and a small ORA tuxedo urchin so far. Custom controller using Arduino and relays/sensors. 2 kessil a160we arranged to simulate a sunrise and sunset with peak day using both on. Set up for dosing all for reef throughout the day and kalkwasser throughout the night. That’s it!

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
Sprinter70

Had some erosion problems that I tried to solve through the addition of another rock toward the front, which helped but I still have to move sand every few days. I’ll likely get crushed coral for the area, I think it will create a nice variety of substrate that should look nice too! I had to remove some of the emerald crabs since they started fragging my corals for me, and not that great with huge patches of tissue being cut out. They have recovered and one emerald remains to keep the threat of hair algae at bay. I added 3 small blue legs and 2 astrea snails as well. Corals are starting to encrust, especially the leptoseris, porites, and cyphastrea!

IMG_3661.thumb.jpeg.bdb21e2d6ccdcbc1405bf6a1c2dc0b8f.jpeg

IMG_3658.jpeg

IMG_3657.jpeg

• Like 2
Sprinter70
On 1/12/2024 at 10:52 AM, braaap said:

Those are 3D printed rocks? That is awesome! I would love to see better pictures of them.

Yes! Thanks, I have been playing around with the designs for the last year, went ahead and got patent pending just for funsies, but seriously thinking about selling them. I’ll be posting more details soon, just trying to get them ready for some sort of launch/release!

Sprinter70
On 1/12/2024 at 1:27 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Very cool. I love UNS tanks. I have a little 3 gal in my attic, wonderful quality. 

The pico tanks are where it’s at! Is your attic climate controlled? Summers would be brutal for temperature and evaporation control in a hot attic!

Elizabeth94
15 hours ago, Sprinter70 said:

The pico tanks are where it’s at! Is your attic climate controlled? Summers would be brutal for temperature and evaporation control in a hot attic!

It’s not set up, just in storage lol, I should have specified! I used it as a shrimp tank. But I got bored and went back to salt. Haha

IMG_4411.thumb.jpeg.7a9efa84324f8b1454808a709db7dd30.jpeg

Sprinter70
8 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

It’s not set up, just in storage lol, I should have specified! I used it as a shrimp tank. But I got bored and went back to salt. Haha

IMG_4411.thumb.jpeg.7a9efa84324f8b1454808a709db7dd30.jpeg

That’s a beautiful tank! Definitely could be a nice little reef! (Just maybe not in the attic, hahaha)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/13/2024 at 10:11 PM, Sprinter70 said:

Yes! Thanks, I have been playing around with the designs for the last year, went ahead and got patent pending just for funsies, but seriously thinking about selling them. I’ll be posting more details soon, just trying to get them ready for some sort of launch/release!

How are you offsetting the lack of bio filter from the 3d printed rocks in the tank?  Even if the rocks were printed super porous in any of the filaments out there it’s still probably less than half efficient than real live rock.   Love the idea. Would be awesome Printed using one of those clay/plaster 3d printers that have been popping up. 

Sprinter70
On 2/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, Tosiek said:

How are you offsetting the lack of bio filter from the 3d printed rocks in the tank?  Even if the rocks were printed super porous in any of the filaments out there it’s still probably less than half efficient than real live rock.   Love the idea.

I suspect it is not a reduction in bio filtration compared to other rock out there. There is a whole range of densities you can create which provides a range of pore size and I go with pretty small pore size resulting in almost every thread of the print providing surface area throughout the structure for microbial colonization. I’ve found it can provide shelter for other larger reef critters like copepods when you create larger pore sizes, so I have been starting to mix and match! I do use either aragonite sand or crushed coral substrate to offer some buffering (the plastic does not buffer pH which is a downside) but I’m not sure if it’s a big deal or not since the surface tends to be colonized and restricts this buffering of other rocks and substrates after a short while anyway. Hope that answers your question!