Pod Your Reef

IPv6Freely's Potential New Tank??

IPv6Freely

Hey everyone! Loooong time member (2006), but only been active when I actually had an aquarium. At this point I think the last one I had was back in 2012-2014 or so, though from the looks of it I didn't post much at the time. We ended up getting rid of it because I was on the road consulting most of the time, so the only time I even looked at it was when I was cleaning it. 

Anyway, new home in PNW and considering setting something up. It's been a LONG time and I have no idea whats out there anymore. LED retrofits were still a pretty big upgrade back then. I'm looking for something around the size the RSM250 was, about 55gal. While googling to try to remember exactly what size the RSM250 was, I came across the Red Sea Reefer MAX 250 G2+ System, which is $$$ but is about what I'm looking for as far as being kind of a turn-key solution but is much easier to maintain because it has a sump. That said, I'm happy to piece things together as long as its still fairly turn-key (I'm not much of a DIY-er). It also must have an actual hood because we have cats. 

I am however a tech nerd so all of the automation stuff is definitely interesting to me. 

Can anyone suggest options to look at? I know I'm asking for something with really vague specs, but even just some recommendations would be really appreciated. 

Thanks!

Welcome back. Sounds like you want a AIO system with all the bells and whistles. I currently have 3 nano tanks. They are all running with very little equipment. I rely on light stocking and water changes. You might want to try looking at former tanks of the month under the library form. Lots of inspiration.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:16 AM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. Sounds like you want a AIO system with all the bells and whistles. I currently have 3 nano tanks. They are all running with very little equipment. I rely on light stocking and water changes. You might want to try looking at former tanks of the month under the library form. Lots of inspiration.

Thanks! I don't want a traditional AIO (like the RSM I had where everything is built into the main tank which makes it a pain to maintain/clean). The new Red Sea stuff looks awesome with it being turn-key but everything is in a sump in the cabinet. The only downside to their models is they have no hoods like the old RSM. 

natalia_la_loca

I don’t have personal experience with Red Sea tanks, but as a frequent forum lurker I’ve seen a ton of reports of seam failure on those tanks. I believe they’ve fixed those issues with their newest line so you should be fine if you get a new one, but I’d avoid buying a used one in case you were considering that.

Re: hood, would your cats still try to mess with a clear lid? That would significantly increase your options.

9 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I don’t have personal experience with Red Sea tanks, but as a frequent forum lurker I’ve seen a ton of reports of seam failure on those tanks. I believe they’ve fixed those issues with their newest line so you should be fine if you get a new one, but I’d avoid buying a used one in case you were considering that.

Re: hood, would your cats still try to mess with a clear lid? That would significantly increase your options.

I had a RSM250 that was wonderful, aside from it being an AIO which was a bit of a pain. No leak issues. But I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Good question. I've seen some aftermarket ones that are acrylic with mesh inserts with optional acrylic covers for the mesh. Part of me thinks thats actually BETTER than a solid hood, because it both keeps them out AND doesn't look like a very fun thing to jump on top of. Hard to say, though. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

I had a RSM250 that was wonderful, aside from it being an AIO which was a bit of a pain. No leak issues. But I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Good question. I've seen some aftermarket ones that are acrylic with mesh inserts with optional acrylic covers for the mesh. Part of me thinks thats actually BETTER than a solid hood, because it both keeps them out AND doesn't look like a very fun thing to jump on top of. Hard to say, though. 

You won't find a nice setup with a hood ready to order. You will have to order custom. And that is big money. The mesh top is likely the best option because I would think cats won't be interested in sitting on the mesh. But I could see them sitting on solid acrylic.

But the absolute best option is to rid yourself of cats. lol

Also,the RS (I know mainly the bigger sized tanks) like to pop seams. All the newer AIO's have plenty of room in the back to maintain the back chambers. Innovative Marine has the best AIO tanks. 

Just be aware,reefing equipment unless bought 2nd had is OUTRAGEOUS these days. So keep that in mind.