Cultivated Reef

How to remove this coral from the plug?

RickvD

Hello,

I got this Ricordea Florida which I want to place on a rock to make a little garden. However the plug is mega, and as it's quite a slow growing coral, the plug will be visible for a long time. And the spot where I want to put it is right in the front of the tank which will look ugly.

IMG_5513.thumb.jpg.305baffece2316280a11a40d57b04ca6.jpgIMG_5514.thumb.jpg.3545db82a9276a2b639bb29f2a2e225f.jpgUnknown.thumb.jpeg.b87aa86e7834be959fc02a8e1649435c.jpeg

Is the foot attached to the tile or is it attached to whatever is glued to the tile? If it's the rock or epoxy or whatever sitting on top of the plug, use a pair of sidecutters to pop it off the tile. If it's on the tile itself, you can either use cutters or a dremel to cut the tile down to a tiny piece around the ricordea or you can make the ricordea walk to where you want it. Ricordea are like anemones in that they can move where they are attached to (albeit they aren't nearly as mobile).

5 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Is the foot attached to the tile or is it attached to whatever is glued to the tile? If it's the rock or epoxy or whatever sitting on top of the plug, use a pair of sidecutters to pop it off the tile

Not quite sure. To find that out I would have to annoy the coral until it closes up...

5 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Ricordea are like anemones in that they can move where they are attached to (albeit they aren't nearly as mobile).

So i've had it for 2-3 weeks now in that spot so it must be happy there. 

Would a smart move be to put it, still on the plug, on the spot I want it to see if it detaches? How long would it take too detach?

5 hours ago, RickvD said:

To find that out I would have to annoy the coral until it closes up...

👍

5 hours ago, RickvD said:

Would a smart move be to put it, still on the plug, on the spot I want it to see if it detaches? How long would it take too detach?

Patience is usually key.  

If patience runs out, there's always a diamond-bladed band saw. 😉 

Tile nippers might work to reduce the size of that frag plate too.

image.png.988bfc9532ecdfc816228f865c853b6f.png