Coral Vue Hydros

Multiple pests coming at once... (Snails, bubble algae, vermitted snails)

RickvD

Hello everyone,

I have had a hard time getting my tank stabilized which resulted in a Dino outbreak. I started dosing Phosphates and with a lot of patience they are almost gone. Caroline is slowly taking over again and my corals are starting to open up more, some zoa's are even showing fast growth. 2 of my zoas popped out 3-4 more heads in a matter of days. Sound great, but now I'm getting different pests.

There are 3 I'm currently struggling with.

1 Vermitted snails:

Not sure how I got them, and there aren't a lot yet, but they are all in places I can't reach in to get them. I tried using a nail clipper to cut them off but that doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have tips on getting rid of them?

IMG_5214.thumb.jpg.a75e7924d9efcfa168d11267ac1e2030.jpg

2 Baby snails:

I have A LOT off baby snails. Some Nassarius (yes I checked to be sure), and a lot of other snails. They look like Nerites but with white shells so I'm not sure. Is this going to be a problem, or will a part just die from starvation and will it keep itself on a good amount? 

IMG_5211.thumb.jpg.f24206058f602800f3e3b9a780353d41.jpgIMG_5212.thumb.jpg.49acfb08b621e53620d2134f61ea235e.jpgIMG_5213.thumb.jpg.0b277f6b617eb687d7d446083c4137fe.jpg

3 Bubble algae:

I also seem to have a little bit of bubble algae. There is really just a little bit, so tomorrow during waterchange I will remove it. It's on a frag piece that's not glued yet, and on my wavemaker so that will be easy to remove. I however just wanted to ask here to be sure it's bubble algae. At first I thought it was eggs of some sort as the bubbles are really hard.

IMG_5188.thumb.jpg.89fe0e701595200c18487cebe143c8a7.jpgIMG_5217.thumb.jpg.8be918190564a280d159009697f16748.jpg

4 Hammer:

Just wanted to ask to be sure, does this hammer seem happy?

IMG_5222.thumb.jpg.d4b67ecc5a53cb881be8b4a3ee02723e.jpg

Hi Rick

Only my personal experience. 

1 Vermetid

Bumble Bee snails. It takes a while, but they worked for me. Some people have reported very poor results. I am not sure if they didn't get enough or were not patient enough. A couple years ago. My 20-gallon tank was infested, and the store only had 3 bumble bee snails, but in a few months, I had to search to find any.

2 baby snails

I get tons of baby snails.  I just let them be. I would love to some day trade a batch in at the LFS but so far, the population reduces on its own. I imagine some die off and some get eaten.

3 bubble algae

Whenever I can I take the rock or whatever they are on out of the tank. I manually remove them.  

I have also had very good results with emerald crabs. Again, not everyone does.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 5:40 AM, RickvD said:

1 Vermitted snails:

Usually these are a result of broadcast feeding.   Otherwise they don't really spread.

So make sure you're feeding your fish when you feed, and not putting a lot of extra food in the water.

When you're going after them, remember they are snails – but the body of the snail is down at the rock level, not up in the tube.

image.png.f8a36d0c5c3f53f2a7e35ab83284fd7d.png

See the coiled up part under each of the tubes?  That's what you need to smash.

So either super glue them shut or use something hard (like the tip of a screwdriver or similar) to smash the shell.

If you have too many to deal with manually, then you might try the snails @debbeach13 mentioned.

2 Baby snails:

I have A LOT off baby snails.

Sounds like a lot of food being wasted in the tank if there's enough to grow a baby population of Nassarius snails.

Assuming you have the food-inputs under control (don't assume!) then the snails will remain under control as well – they will size their population to the food inputs available.

3 Bubble algae:

I also seem to have a little bit of bubble algae. There is really just a little bit, so tomorrow during waterchange I will remove it. It's on a frag piece that's not glued yet, and on my wavemaker so that will be easy to remove. I however just wanted to ask here to be sure it's bubble algae. At first I thought it was eggs of some sort as the bubbles are really hard.

Definitely bubble algae.   If it's just a little, then it shouldn't be a problem (it comes and goes in my tank).   I'd still do what you can to nip it in the bud now since the tank isn't that stable yet.  Ideally you try to remove it without popping the bubbles, but don't worry too much if you do.

4 Hammer:

Just wanted to ask to be sure, does this hammer seem happy?

Looks OK to me.  Should be getting decent (not too soft) flow.