SaltCritters.com

Minimalist Aquascape

fish-guru

I know the general consensus for live rock is around 1-1.5lb per gallon, but I’m a fan of a minimalist scape. I’d like to keep it the way it is, but is it necessary to add more rock to my scape? I have 2 ocellaris clowns, a YWG, and a pistol shrimp. I plan to get more fish (probably some fish that like living in open water as opposed to in caves). Also, I have plenty of Maxspect Bioballs in the tank’s filter to account for less live rock in the display. My rockscape is below.

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

14 hours ago, fish-guru said:

I know the general consensus for live rock is around 1-1.5lb per gallon, but I’m a fan of a minimalist scape. I’d like to keep it the way it is, but is it necessary to add more rock to my scape?

Weight of rock varies SO MUCH from type to type.  Another rule of thumb I like for rock is that the tank should "look" about 1/3 full of rock.  To my eye you're pretty close to that in these pics.  Match your bio load to your rock load.  In general a tank will be healthier with a lower bio load than with a really high bio load.

I have 2 ocellaris clowns, a YWG, and a pistol shrimp. I plan to get more fish (probably some fish that like living in open water as opposed to in caves).

What size tank?

Also, I have plenty of Maxspect Bioballs in the tank’s filter to account for less live rock in the display.

IMO if it's gonna be a reef tank, skip the "fish tank filtration".  Use a protein skimmer if you want a filter.  👍

I got back and forth on this.

Some days I really love the minimalist look. Other days, I feel like the tanks look way to "manicured". In general, I am a fan of imperfect tanks, I love a good hobby tank rather than a show tank.

Your rocks look great imo, lots of space for little creatures, and enough space for coral.

• Agree 1