Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it worth it? Aquatop 40

Matthew Russel

Matthew Russel

Hi all,
I was about to push the purchase button on a red sea nano peninsula 26 gal when I ran across an aquatop recife eco 40 for 662.99 and a 24 gal for $441.99. Both tanks game with everything including a stand. I was wondering if this is a reasonable price, is it worth it, any bad experience? It seems like a good deal considering the money I could save could go towards some equipment. Thoughts and pros and cons are welcome. Thanks and excited to dive right into this hobby

Matt

I primarily just wanted to say Hi and welcome to nano-reef.com.  But I really don't know much about Aquatop; hopefully, someone else will step in.  In the meantime, try a search:  https://www.nano-reef.com/search/?&q=Aquatop&search_and_or=and

I've seen people use both brands.  It seems like I recall that some of the equipment that Aquatop includes might be lower end (like their skimmer) and eventually might benefit from an upgrade.  Their tanks seem to look pretty decent though.  Red Sea has a pretty good reputation.

Size might be the deciding factor.  Do you know what they you'd like to keep?  There will obviously be more options with a larger tank (for fish, corals, and your aquascape).

• Like 2

The filtration chambers on the Aquatop Recife tanks are very narrow which really limits you on what equipment can be used. Other than that, it's a decent tank priced right for what it is. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Matthew Russel

Seabass,

Thanks for the link and the advice.  The fish I pick will all depend on the tank I get,  I am not buying a tank for a certain list of fish. This is my first tank and its for myself and my kids to learn on.  With that said, Im still leaning towards the red reef due to its reputation and beginning equipment.  It seems like if you buy an aquatop you need to upgrade it immediately, lights, filtration, and protein skimmer.  Quit the opposite for the red reef, you are paying more but I feel like it will actually save me money.  

MrP,

Thanks for the response.  Still trying to weigh the pros and the cons and it seems like you would have to put some money into the aquatop to still equal the baseline red reef.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

If you're interested in saving money on your first setup, which appears to be the case, then you might consider building a system from scratch vs buying a kit.  Also, starting with a used setup is a great way to save money at the beginning.  👍

• Like 1

My only suggestions would be to make sure you are getting the G2 Red Sea tanks and not the G1s. I can't find a G2 26g, so it may have only been produced during the G1 run.

There's about 30 pages on R2R of people reporting their RS G1 tanks failing, a lot of them around the 2 year mark. If you are 100% sold on the 26g G1, definitely at least buy new and you may want to contact RS about extended warranty + the stand upgrade (I think for that size it's some kind of centre brace or something.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:56 PM, mcarroll said:

If you're interested in saving money on your first setup, which appears to be the case, then you might consider building a system from scratch vs buying a kit.  Also, starting with a used setup is a great way to save money at the beginning.  👍

Agreed here!

The most efficient will always be the good ol' 40 breeder. Excellent reef footprint, easy to light.

The next best, and still cheaper than RS, are the IM and Waterbox all in ones (I think Fuji cubes are another option in the US). Not paying the RS premium, but still getting a pretty sleak system.