Cultivated Reef

Eric's IM Nuvo 10 Fusion

Eric65

Back again. I have no idea how long it has been since my last post. There's a reason I'm back. I'm restarting my nano. Seeing how the IM 10 Fusion is very underrepresented here I figured I'd be useful and share my journey.

This was running until the first week of April. I broke it down because it had become overrun with bubble algae. I was also going through a divorce at the time and didn't have the energy to bring it back.

3 months later I have the house to myself and can focus on reefing again. I set it up July 1st. I am doing a fishless cycle so it will probably be at least a month before I add any livestock.

EQUIPMENT:

Lighting: Ai Prime 16HD

Heater: Eheim e50

Circulation: Tunze 6040

Return: Sicce micra

Filtration: iTank media basket just filter floss for now

Top Off: float switch from autotopoff.com attached to an Aqua Lifter

20230705_145803.thumb.jpg.ca7fc742aaaf2e2642a49cd61b30fc95.jpg20230705_150445.thumb.jpg.2b03268e89f513599cd29ab5824834d8.jpg20230705_150637.thumb.jpg.9e821fb0985d1f28729fba036f30ba7f.jpg20230705_151120.thumb.jpg.1e1cd7b4bf730e1fbc7bf51a1e883fb2.jpg20230704_161200.thumb.jpg.d8071eef5ebfd5c71edda92db3be0c89.jpg20230705_151120.thumb.jpg.1e1cd7b4bf730e1fbc7bf51a1e883fb2.jpgView from my desk.

• Like 5

Sorry about the divorce. I always wanted a bigger tank but was always shot down. After the divorce, the first thing I did was “upgrade” from a Nuvo 20 to Red Sea 250. 

Getting (more) involved in the hobby was very therapeutic. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I've been doing this for too long to know the uglies are just around the corner. I am enjoying looking at it even if it is fallow.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oo, nice start! Live rock?

Far from it. The tank and rock sat on my back porch from April-July. I wish I took a picture of what it looked like. I had no plans of setting it up again but once I knew where I stood financially after my divorce I thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully no bubble algae survived the elements.  My ammonia test kit comes tomorrow so I'll know where I stand if the cycle has started yet.

• Like 2

My nitrite test kit arrived today. On a whim I decided to check if I had any nitrites. Needless to say I was not expecting any purple at all. The journey begins!! Nitrate and ammonia will be here tomorrow. 

20230707_171840.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, that's old coraline and algae providing the color, then. Step up from bleach-white dry rock, at least, and I wonder if any spores might have stuck around?

Congrats on the probably-complete cycle! Nitrates mean your tank is either cycled or darned close. Any particular livestock plans?

11 minutes ago, Tired said:

Ah, that's old coraline and algae providing the color, then. Step up from bleach-white dry rock, at least, and I wonder if any spores might have stuck around?

Congrats on the probably-complete cycle! Nitrates mean your tank is either cycled or darned close. Any particular livestock plans?

Definitely plan on getting some sexy shrimp, some pom pom crabs, maybe an anemone crab. I got sticker shock when I was in my lfs last week. Prices have definitely increased since Covid. AS for fish, if I can score a Yasha/shrimp pair that would be aesome. Otherwise a Talbot's damsel (not sure how hard they are to obtain) or an Azure damsel. I have a 54 gallon corner reef and a 54 corner planted to keep me busy so I plan on taking this slow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...