Top Shelf Aquatics

Cycle Help

Stamen

I'm glad that things are progressing.

2 hours ago, Stamen said:

I have placed 3-4 LPS corals, they are very happy for 10 days now / and so am I / but can you explain to me how to dose calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and what brands of products to use.

I feel like you might not be in the US, so specific products might not be available to you, and you might have access to other products.  Anyway, the brand typically isn't really all that important.  Typically the product you choose will have instructions on how much to dose in order to raise levels a certain amount.  You usually have to do a little math to figure out how that specifically relates to your tank.  Don't use generic instructions about dosing without testing.

It will likely be awhile before dosing is actually necessary.  In my opinion, dosing is 100% about keeping levels stable.  Usually I recommend that you try to keep your tank levels the same as your salt mix's levels.  That way, water changes  (no mater how large) won't adversely change your elements' parameters.  I have some general dosing suggestions in this article:  https://www.nano-reef.com/articles/beginners/water-parameters-what-to-test-and-when-r40/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm glad that things are progressing.

I feel like you might not be in the US, so specific products might not be available to you, and you might have access to other products.  Anyway, the brand typically isn't really all that important.  Typically the product you choose will have instructions on how much to dose in order to raise levels a certain amount.  You usually have to do a little math to figure out how that specifically relates to your tank.  Don't use generic instructions about dosing without testing.

It will likely be awhile before dosing is actually necessary.  In my opinion, dosing is 100% about keeping levels stable.  Usually I recommend that you try to keep your tank levels the same as your salt mix's levels.  That way, water changes  (no mater how large) won't adversely change your elements' parameters.  I have some general dosing suggestions in this article:  https://www.nano-reef.com/articles/beginners/water-parameters-what-to-test-and-when-r40/

Thanks for the directions!
I am located in Europe, in a small country called Bulgaria. There are quite a few passionate about our hobby and accordingly stores with a wide variety of reef products. My request was, if it is not a problem, to describe to me your method of adding the necessary elements. Here I will be able to find all the materials.

23 hours ago, Stamen said:

My request was, if it is not a problem, to describe to me your method of adding the necessary elements.

1. First, know the level of alkalinity and calcium in newly mixed batch of salt mix (before you add it to your tank); if these levels aren't what you want, choose another brand of salt mix.  These will be your target levels for alkalinity and calcium.  You can target magnesium at 1300 to 1350ppm.
  2. Then determine the levels in your tank.  Following the directions on your dosing product, correct the parameters to match alkalinity and calcium to the levels in a newly mixed batch of saltwater (with magnesium between 1300 and 1350ppm).  Note: Don't correct alkalinity more than 1dKH per day.  Alkalinity stability is the most important, and might have to be adjusted daily (or even multiple times each day) in tanks with high alkalinity demands.  Calcium is next important, followed by magnesium (which can be adjusted less frequently).
  3. Determine the consumption rates of these three elements to develop a dosing schedule.  However, note that consumption rates will change over time, so you will have to adjust dosing accordingly.

You'll find that the consumption rate for 4 smaller frags of LPS corals is minimal at first.  Test alkalinity weekly and I'd recommend that you start dosing once alkalinity drops by 1dKH.  Most alkalinity and calcium products cannot be dosed together (or they will precipitate); so you might choose to dose these on separate days (or at least a half an hour apart if dosed on the same day).  I usually just pour the dosing mixture into a high flow area of the tank.

Here is a decent video which might help:

• Like 1