Top Shelf Aquatics

25 gallon Stocking

noobiereef

noobiereef

Hi reef friends!

I'm working on planning out what other fish I want for my tank and would love to hear your experiences. I have a 25g water box peninsula with two phantom clownfish. I really want to get a midas blenny but worried it may get too big so these are my ideas. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Idea 1:

2x clownfish

1x clown gobie

1× midas blenny 

Idea 2:

2x clownfish

1x Helfiritchi firefish

1x pink striped wrasse

Maybe a clown gobie

Idea 3:

2x clownfish

1x yasha gobie

2-3 firefish

6 hours ago, noobiereef said:

1× midas blenny 

What tank size recommendations have you seen for them and where are you looking for your info so far?

(I think your hesitation is well founded....they are a big fish with a big personality.)

Your other potentials are MUCH better suited.  👍

noobiereef

I saw 25g from Dr. Reef and 30g on live aquaria and see a lot of post from a dude with one in a redsea nano. I love the looks of them!

banasophia

I’d recommend the following:

two ocellaris clownfish

yellow clown goby

yellow banded possum wrasse and/or tailspot blenny

I personally wouldn’t recommend a Midas blenny… I had wanted one for years, but I finally got one a couple months ago and he’s very cute, but he looks similar to my yellow clown goby and he tries to jump ALL THE TIME.

Edit to add that my hubby disagrees on the Midas blenny… he really likes Stanley, thinks he is really interesting how he swims like an eel. But I still probably wouldn’t get one along with a yellow clown goby due to the similar appearance. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

I've made some progress in narrowing down my idea. I want to do a yasha goby and a pistol shrimp since recently my last peppermint shrimp disappeared while I was on a work trip. It's just debating what to fill the open water with. I've also head gold assessors swim fun too

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 6:57 PM, banasophia said:

I’d recommend the following:

two ocellaris clownfish

yellow clown goby

yellow banded possum wrasse and/or tailspot blenny

I personally wouldn’t recommend a Midas blenny… I had wanted one for years, but I finally got one a couple months ago and he’s very cute, but he looks similar to my yellow clown goby and he tries to jump ALL THE TIME.

Edit to add that my hubby disagrees on the Midas blenny… he really likes Stanley, thinks he is really interesting how he swims like an eel. But I still probably wouldn’t get one along with a yellow clown goby due to the similar appearance. 

How big of a tank do you have it in? I really like the midas blenny due to the eel swimming too lol. I'm just concerned of having it in the 25g even though I have a lot of open space. The two clowns are all alone lol. They are phantom clownfish so black and white to prevent any mix up

On 7/1/2023 at 6:34 PM, noobiereef said:

I saw 25g from Dr. Reef and 30g on live aquaria and see a lot of post from a dude with one in a redsea nano. I love the looks of them!

Here's what I'll say.....Midas Bennies are one of the foremost jumpers in the hobby.   There is some correlation with jumping and tank size (ie too small).  If you get him, you're going to have to be very careful about sealing the tank top.  They'll fit though anything their noggin (which is conveniently "greased" with fish mucus) can slide through....and they seem to have precise aim.

That...and save the swimming room for him....don't crowd the tank.  👍

If you like the whole "eel look", what about an Engineer Goby?   Just as cool in their own right...if lacking in golden coloration.   Tons of personality for a fish you potentially might not see that much (since they burrow).  🙂 

Midas Blennies hole up a lot, so you also won't be seeing them all the time...could be mostly just sightings at feeding time for either fish.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Here's what I'll say.....Midas Bennies are one of the foremost jumpers in the hobby.   There is some correlation with jumping and tank size (ie too small).  If you get him, you're going to have to be very careful about sealing the tank top.  They'll fit though anything their noggin (which is conveniently "greased" with fish mucus) can slide through....and they seem to have precise aim.

That...and save the swimming room for him....don't crowd the tank.  👍

If you like the whole "eel look", what about an Engineer Goby?   Just as cool in their own right...if lacking in golden coloration.   Tons of personality for a fish you potentially might not see that much (since they burrow).  🙂 

Midas Blennies hole up a lot, so you also won't be seeing them all the time...could be mostly just sightings at feeding time for either fish.

Thanks for the feedback! I only have 2 clowns in the tank right now so there is a lot of room and I currently have a kraken lid on it to make sure everything stays in!  Can Engineer goby be in a 25g? I was under the impression they needed like 50g?

I've come to the decision I need more fish but stuck on what 🤣🤣

My guy Stanley is pretty cute… my tank is 32 gallons… but I stand with my previous recommendations. I still recommend a yellow clown goby rather than a Midas blenny. 

Midas benny

IMG_7573.thumb.jpeg.f787b865763a7ee05afd5b8ad396f1ad.jpeg

yellow clown goby

Enlight87.thumb.jpeg.c3137faa0a425810cdba59399dd2a627.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

My guy Stanley is pretty cute… my tank is 32 gallons… but I stand with my previous recommendations. I still recommend a yellow clown goby rather than a Midas blenny. 

Midas benny

IMG_7573.thumb.jpeg.f787b865763a7ee05afd5b8ad396f1ad.jpeg

yellow clown goby

Enlight87.thumb.jpeg.c3137faa0a425810cdba59399dd2a627.jpeg

Wow your tank looks amazing!! Yeah I think it might be too tight with only being 25g. What are your thoughts on this plan:

2 clowns (currently have)

Clown Goby

Firefish

Yasha goby

Make it a goby party! I can't get past the pink streak wrasse eyes. Lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, noobiereef said:

Wow your tank looks amazing!! Yeah I think it might be too tight with only being 25g. What are your thoughts on this plan:

2 clowns (currently have)

Clown Goby

Firefish

Yasha goby

Make it a goby party! I can't get past the pink streak wrasse eyes. Lol

Thanks! Yeah that could work! Personally I’d do a possum wrasse rather than either the yasha goby or firefish because I think it’s good to have a pest eating fish if possible… but both of those fish are good options too. Just be sure you have a lid, firefish are jumpers too. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks! Yeah that could work! Personally I’d do a possum wrasse rather than either the yasha goby or firefish because I think it’s good to have a pest eating fish if possible… but both of those fish are good options too. Just be sure you have a lid, firefish are jumpers too. 

Great thanks! I've looked at them a lot and live everything I read, but the look of them 😞  They sound to be fun active swimmers. Some of the other considerations are a golden Assessor or a orchid dotty back to get a pop of color

Following along. I have a 24gal that I am just starting to stock.  I started out with two clownfish this weekend.  I am going to do 3-4 fish max.  I am loving the recommendations that you are getting 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, boscoT said:

Following along. I have a 24gal that I am just starting to stock.  I started out with two clownfish this weekend.  I am going to do 3-4 fish max.  I am loving the recommendations that you are getting 

I started putting together a list and all the pictures for the various ones I'm looking at!

a_280-Whitebanded-Possum-Wrasse.jpg

Sauron003 - Copy (1).jpg

lg_84102_CourtJester.jpg

lg71432JawfishYellowhead.jpg

Nemateleotris_decora.jpg

lg_71133_Firefish.jpg

download.jpeg

lg91980OrchidDottyback.jpg

lg_91625_Helfrichi_Firefish.jpg

lg90097GoldAssessorBasslet.jpg

yasha-goby1.jpg

Midas-Blenny-for-Sale-in-AZ.jpg