Cultivated Reef

Too much flow?

RickvD

Hello,

I’ve added my first lifestock today but I’m not sure if the flow is to much. It’s a waterbox peninsula 15 with the stock return pump and AI Nero 3. I’ve already lowered the flow to the screenshot below. 

DC734AC3-F8A4-4B8D-9EED-3288DC87633B.thumb.png.1073308e144a5cbb7c7f910457382823.png

In the past few hours since they have been in the tank, they have barely moved from that side, and when they do they seem almost “troubled”, but maybe I’m just over reacting.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

It looks fine to me.  Arguably, it could even be more.

Alright then I’ll boost it back up to what it used to be. So the clowns will get used to

it / swim into it when they want? No problem

for them?

44 minutes ago, RickvD said:

No problem for them?

People often reply, "there is more flow in the ocean."  If they can sleep without being blown around, it's probably alright for them.  Also, if the sand isn't being blown around too much, that's another good sign that flow isn't too high.  There are certain corals which require moderate flow, while others require higher flow rates; but higher flow is usually preferable to lower flow.  Although with a Nero 3, you can adjust it as necessary.

23 hours ago, RickvD said:

Hello,

I’ve added my first lifestock today but I’m not sure if the flow is to much. It’s a waterbox peninsula 15 with the stock return pump and AI Nero 3. I’ve already lowered the flow to the screenshot below. 

[....]

n the past few hours since they have been in the tank, they have barely moved from that side, and when they do they seem almost “troubled”, but maybe I’m just over reacting.

Seems like you have more concerns than just your flow rate!  You might want to adjust your post's title.  🙂 

How old is this tank?  How was it cycled?  Is there anything growing yet – diatoms, green algae, cyano, corraline, etc?

OP, just so you know, 1% is actually 31% of maximum flow on Neros, since they need to run at at least 30%.

On my 25 Lagoon, I run at 60% pulse through the day to get a wave-like back and forth sway, and then I run 5% for 6 hours each night just to give my Clown a chance to chill.

Your schedule looks pretty good as long as there is a lot of rock to break up the flow and provide some calm areas.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

OP, just so you know, 1% is actually 31% of maximum flow on Neros, since they need to run at at least 30%.

On my 25 Lagoon, I run at 60% pulse through the day to get a wave-like back and forth sway, and then I run 5% for 6 hours each night just to give my Clown a chance to chill.

Your schedule looks pretty good as long as there is a lot of rock to break up the flow and provide some calm areas.

Ahh good to know thanks! Since today they like going in the cave so thats good. This is my scape:

1C7170D1-E253-41CA-A767-55269CE5897A.thumb.jpeg.8d5bdd5504e8a57332fe442a027dc282.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks awesome!

I am a big proponent of lots of flow, but for your tank, I may consider lowering it a bit. Clowns love to swim, it's true, and they can withstand much more flow than your are hitting them with, but that's a very open scape and there aren't any coral yet it looks like. I'd dial it down (I think my 15g cube I usually hovered around 10-15%) and then work your way up.

Just what I would do. Or dial it back all the way to 1% constant at night. The Clowns will likely sleep in a top corner .

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

Looks awesome!

I am a big proponent of lots of flow, but for your tank, I may consider lowering it a bit. Clowns love to swim, it's true, and they can withstand much more flow than your are hitting them with, but that's a very open scape and there aren't any coral yet it looks like. I'd dial it down (I think my 15g cube I usually hovered around 10-15%) and then work your way up.

Just what I would do. Or dial it back all the way to 1% constant at night. The Clowns will likely sleep in a top corner .

Thanks! I tried to make a cave and it kinda worked out. Alright thanks for the tip! I’ve changed the schedule and will monitor their behaviour tomorrow.