SaltCritters.com

Downsizing from 60 cube to a small ULM tank suggestions.

waldoz

Looking to down size to smaller ULM  😂

I had an offer for a water box 20 but thinking still little to big.  Looking for some suggestions for AIO that will be easy to maintain.    We are possibly moving out of state, so smaller tank will pack better. Also we could use some of the equipment from our 60gl cube and go that way.   

Talking with my son these seem to be what we looking for in a tank.

1.Trying to getaway from large water changes. That's the big one 🤣

2. Easy to clean and move if needed.

3. Don't want to have to upgrade everything.

Options:

1. Buy all new stuff don't really want to do that.

2.  Just find right size tank transfer over some gear I have from 60 cube.

3. Hob filter tank but doesn't look as nice.

Looking for some suggestions and options as you guys have always steered us in the right direction.😜

natalia_la_loca

I love my Evo 13.5, is easy to clean and would be easy to move if you hold on to the box it came in. Needs upgrades, but the extent and cost of upgrade really depends on what you want to stock (e.g., sps=more flow, better light, dosing).

I went for about a year and a half without doing water changes in the Evo. I ran ornamental macroalgae, fragged coral and macro, and dosed All for Reef. I don’t use a skimmer or carbon, only floss. The fish and corals were fine until I massively OD’d the tank on All for Reef, a preventable user error. 

I gather there are higher-end AIO tanks than the Evo on the market now in the 15 gallon range, but I don’t have personal experience with those. With something at a higher price point you might be able to skip the upgrades.

15 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I gather there are higher-end AIO tanks than the Evo on the market now in the 15 gallon range, but I don’t have personal experience with those. With something at a higher price point you might be able to skip the upgrades.

I did look at the Evo but I think we want to get away from the long style. The 15 gl to 20gl , I can use my ATO and wet stuff.

I was hoping that someone came up with something I did not think about.

6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

IM15 was selling for $99.00 I would see if that might be a good fit.

Two of the same suggestion.  I have never owned a IM15 that actually got wet but seems to have good reviews.

Has anyone gone through downsizing like this, would be interested to find out your experience.  The other option is to shut it down and take a break for awhile.  I don't really like that option though. 😂

I agrée with Deb on the IM 15 - really nice little cubes. For low maintenance, but I’d just go softies and Zoas. Both are fine in high nitrate environments and don’t require dosing. The Zoas pack a lot of interest into a small cube as there is a huge trade market for them, and they always catch peoples eye.

You could also go with a planted shrimp and show guppy tank, which would honesty never really need water changes. Maybe once every 3 months just to remineralize and dilute. 

some of the bookshelf tanks also pack a lot of viewing area into a small package. 

32 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

I agrée with Deb on the IM 15 - really nice little cubes. For low maintenance, but I’d just go softies and Zoas. Both are fine in high nitrate environments and don’t require dosing. The Zoas pack a lot of interest into a small cube as there is a huge trade market for them, and they always catch peoples eye.

My frogspawn,duncans,hammer (I lost my splatter Hammer), toadstool ,RBTA and acans have been good even through the ups and downs. They don't grow fast but pretty solid.  My zoa's don't spread much and our GSP died 😂 how does that even happen 😬

Been looking at low cost option for a light if I don't use my HD26 .  I thought I would see a IM cube thread must but missing it.  Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

For the price the IM15 cant be beat........... I am out of the hobby right now and if I did get back in that would be my choice for a small tank......... have had a IM 10 and 20 both good tanks in my opinion. 

Where you looking at moving to ? 

• Like 1

Logan UT.  Wife says I need a job first and had few interviews but the pay is terrible 😂.   I don't know if it's going to happen but have some friends there that have a 1700 basement apartment we could stay in till we find house.  Honestly it's a pipe dream. WA is sucking eggs now.

I figured we could move a small tank and the nearest saltwater shop is 40 min away from Logan about the same as here.   Good to know about IM. I'm trying to sell my tank but all I got was a trade offer.  I kinda figured this would happen. I Have it posted on PNW and if @spectra you have any suggestions on selling it Pm me. 👍

• Like 2

Yeah thanks for the offer and I appreciate it, but it would cost probably that much to ship it even with my company discount. I don't even know how IM is making any money on these tanks with free shipping.🤔    I think I am going to give it another week or two then part out my 60cube. Probably have to pick up IM tank before I do that though.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, waldoz said:

Yeah thanks for the offer and I appreciate it, but it would cost probably that much to ship it even with my company discount. I don't even know how IM is making any money on these tanks with free shipping.🤔    I think I am going to give it another week or two then part out my 60cube. Probably have to pick up IM tank before I do that though.

Figured was a long shot, but thought I would ask!  

They charge $30 to ship that tank.  I've yet to buy a tank that size (mid range) that doesn't charge for shipping.  

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...