Innovative Marine Aquariums

Advice on better Protein skimmer

Mama92

I started getting some red slime and green algae overgrowth on a relatively new tank (only 4 months old) i currently own a Fluval Mini skimmer however it is extremely difficult to find the sweet spot. i only have 2 crab and 2 snails. no fish currently until i can get everything under control. Levels all seem fine minus the algae growth. Should i add more bottom feeders or get a more reputable skimmer? Its been awhile since I've done the saltwater hobby. 14Gal tank 

NoOneLikesADryTang

I don’t think a 14 gallon tank really warrants a skimmer. I’d just do water changes for nutrient export. 

Got any pictures the algae you’re currently battling? 

• Like 1

Its def red slime. I do have Chemclean coming tomorrow to give it a shot. according to all my testers, everything is in good range EXCEPT my calcium was low. this didnt start until i was trying to raise my calcium levels. i havent put any coral in yet as i was trying to make sure everything was ready before adding anything. After the calcium was added my entire tank went foggy for about 24hrs and when it cleared i had the red algae.

20230620_133959.jpg

I would definitely increase your clean up crew. I second the advice of waterchanges and the NEED for a skimmer. 
Also maybe let the tank “go dark” for a couple days, since you don’t have any corals yet. 

• Agree 1

I appriciate your feedback. tank is going dark for now. i will work on adding the clean up crew and setting aside the skimmer. hopefully it helps. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, Mama92 said:

I started getting some red slime and green algae overgrowth on a relatively new tank (only 4 months old)

Both are normal around this timeframe.   Often referred to as "The Uglies".  

Neither algae should be allowed to take over the tank though.  

Manual removal by you AND incremental additions to the cleanup crew will probably be required.  When adding CUC, focus on herbivores not scavengers.

i currently own a Fluval Mini skimmer however it is extremely difficult to find the sweet spot.

If the tank doesn't have an ATO, then that could be the cause of the skimmer's inconsistent performance.  If the water level is always changing then so is the skimmer's sweet spot.  An ATO is always a good idea in a coral tank IMO, but with a skimmer it's even more needed.

i only have 2 crab and 2 snails. no fish currently until i can get everything under control.

That's a great strategy.  IMO start adding corals before you start adding fish.  Maybe the sooner the better, depending on your comfort level with corals.

Levels all seem fine minus the algae growth.

"Levels seem fine" is usually a tell that something is off.  It's kinda funny – this "tell" is even mentioned in one of the books I have. (maybe Fenner?) 🙂 

It's possible that everything is fine, but can you list your test results for whatever you are testing so far?  (Posting everything you have would be great.)

Do you have any test results from your RODI water or fresh mixed seawater just for reference?   Not necessary, but might be interesting if you have them.

Should i add more bottom feeders or get a more reputable skimmer? It's been awhile since I've done the saltwater hobby. 14Gal tank 

Depending on the snails, yes you probably need a few more.   Which crabs do you have?

Its all under control everyone! Thank you for the help. My red slime is 100% gone. I removed my skimmer, added an extra hermit crab, making 3 hermit crabs, 2 snails and half the recommended dose of Chemiclean in a 14 gall nano reef. Today all my parameter's still shown perfect and i finally added fish and one anemone. Kept it simple to make sure all is well. I appreciate all the help from you guys! 

IMG-1482.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, mcarroll said:

Both are normal around this timeframe.   Often referred to as "The Uglies".  

Neither algae should be allowed to take over the tank though.  

Manual removal by you AND incremental additions to the cleanup crew will probably be required.  When adding CUC, focus on herbivores not scavengers.

If the tank doesn't have an ATO, then that could be the cause of the skimmer's inconsistent performance.  If the water level is always changing then so is the skimmer's sweet spot.  An ATO is always a good idea in a coral tank IMO, but with a skimmer it's even more needed.

That's a great strategy.  IMO start adding corals before you start adding fish.  Maybe the sooner the better, depending on your comfort level with corals.

"Levels seem fine" is usually a tell that something is off.  It's kinda funny – this "tell" is even mentioned in one of the books I have. (maybe Fenner?) 🙂 

It's possible that everything is fine, but can you list your test results for whatever you are testing so far?  (Posting everything you have would be great.)

Do you have any test results from your RODI water or fresh mixed seawater just for reference?   Not necessary, but might be interesting if you have them.

Depending on the snails, yes you probably need a few more.   Which crabs do you have?

Thanks for taking the time to respond after each comment i left. Red slime is finally gone after doing half the recommended dose of Chemiclean (i always take the slow approach). and referring to all my levels being fine, let me do a quick breakdown. My ammonia is at 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, PH 8.2, KH Is probably about 160, that one is hard to read but even the lower or higher ends still are in safe parameters. For water changes im currently using Pacific ocean water from Imagitarium just to avoid mixing salt. but if i have evaporation i use either distilled water (preferred) or i use my home water which is on Reverse osmosis.... so when i said my levels all seem fine i wasn't off like you thought. This tank might be newish. and i might be just getting back into the hobby but i started saltwater roughly 15 years ago. i came for an honest opinion cause not everyone knows everything. not even myself. I wouldn't lie about my levels if i needed my problems under control. I forgot to add my salinity is smack dab exactly at 35ppt thanks to using the pre mixed water and watching evaporation according to my refractometer. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mama92 said:

My ammonia is at 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, PH 8.2, KH Is probably about 160

In a tank this young, I'm a little surprused (and worried) about the nitrates reading 0 ppm.  If you can get your phosphates tested, that would be equally interesting to know.

A tank at this stage has to grow LOTS of little organisms in order to become a mature reef.   Dissolved nutrients (eg nitrates and phosphates) are a very important for supporting this growth.

Beyond that, it look like you have a relatively large anemone in the tank.  Anemones have the same needs as corals, especially a high demand for phosphates.

IMO:

1. take it easy on water changes.
  2. remove any excess filtration – usually running a skimmer is not a problem; I'm thinking of power filters, canisters, etc.
  3. if you can't feed something in the tank (eg fish, cleanup crew scavengers, etc) to increase nutrients going into the tank, then....
  4. ...consider dosing dissolved nutrients up to (at least) minimum required levels.

As mentioned, you'll need to get PO4 tested to see if it's needed.  Your target minimum level for PO4 is 0.03 ppm...but 0.05 ppm will give you a little more "margin for error".  (More doesn't hurt anything in this case.  0.1 or 0.2 ppm wouldn't be "too much".)

NO3 should generally be ≥ 5.0 ppm

Keeping these levels will encourage HEALTHY critters to grow (which may or may not including green algae).

Cyano is one of those algae that start proliferating when nutrient levels are "off".  In this case it's probably relying into its unique ability to harness nitrogen from the air and using various organics in the water.  Sadly, no critters really eat cyano reliably.

We want green algae becuase green algae and corals like exactly the same conditions.   So once green algae are happy, you know corals can be happy as well.  Plus, lots of critters like to eat green algae.

Just make sure your cleanup crew is always big enough to handle the growth so green algae doesn't get out of hand.  Remember that you're the #1 member of your cleanup crew, so any algae that outgrows your snails is your responsibility.   🙂   (If your CUC is just right, you might never actually see any major green algae growth....that's OK too.)